Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2210815 times)

dmaiski

• Captain
  • resistance is futile
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #2430 on: October 06, 2013, 11:55:57 AM »

one piece of advice, make your cockpit/bridge on its own seperate layer of the ship if its going to be exposed, when it sits in the viddle of the ship it look kind of like its slanted

2 shade your turret so it looks more like it has a recess for the gun to sit on

3 try to make it look like your [various bits] are peeking out through the armor, not built ontop of the armor as you have done for the side mounted ?missles?

4 personal preferance: make armore plates look more circular/rounded, ill stub my toes on the corners!

5 its beter then my first atempt (albeit that is hidden away in a dark dark place never to be seen by mortals)
BISO
(WIP) lots of shiny new weapons ( :-[ i have more weapons then sprites :-[ )

i got a cat pad
its like a mouse pad but better!

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: October 06, 2013, 03:57:03 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

Early thulification of vanilla portraits, added facial hair and the obligatory "kopling" tattoo over the right eye.
will share coming stages of these portraits.

Spoiler
[close]
some stages of a massive fleet-tugger

Spoiler
[close]

love those two concepts on the bottom right, really nice. Will you try recoloring them?
The third from the left is also really good, would love to see it redone in the two last designs.

Will we see a civilian mini faction? maybe a transport company? Edit: TT subfaction, got it ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 04:14:12 PM by Thule »

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: October 07, 2013, 12:05:16 AM »

Spoiler
[close]
what do you think

Very nice! I look forward to seeing what you come up with :)
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: October 07, 2013, 01:00:29 PM »

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: October 07, 2013, 01:17:20 PM »

A cute little freighter~?

Doesn't look like it'd fit ASP or the Junkers, though, so, who's it for?

Are those tiny phase coils I spy?

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: October 07, 2013, 01:30:58 PM »

It's a PACK freighter - the Samoyed. My take on a 'hard mode' faction consisting only of subpar midline frigates and destroyers that are supposed to complement each other in a fleet.

I'm trying to decide whether it is two ships, or one that can change on the fly in to a semi-decent combat vessel. Would be cool to do the two ship thing, just not sure how to approach it.

And they are mounts, not phase coils, reappropriated from xenoargh's contribution to the Pitbull. They do look a bit like phase coils though, now you mention it.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #2436 on: October 07, 2013, 01:45:01 PM »

It looks very icey. Does it carry ice cream? :o Finally a freighter worth of seizing!

Silliness aside, it looks very cool, in multiple ways. :D

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: October 08, 2013, 03:34:41 AM »

Now that the Zorg mod is pretty much finished in its current state, I'm going to be working on replacing the kitbashed ships with completely hand-drawn ones.

Spoiler
Here's the replacement for the Worker-class Sphere:

Its main weapon (a nuclear neutron ray for mining and combat) comes with a 7 frame animation that shows the weapon charging up: (here it is in a nearly fully charged state)
[close]

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: October 08, 2013, 04:34:23 AM »

The new Zorg Tactical Probe:
Spoiler

Frames of its Neutron Disruptor charging:
[close]

MrDavidoff

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: October 08, 2013, 04:43:10 AM »

Spoiler
[close]

Early thulification of vanilla portraits, added facial hair and the obligatory "kopling" tattoo over the right eye.
will share coming stages of these portraits.

Ok, that is just awesome, considering your still gonna work on them.
*cookie*

Spoiler
[close]
some stages of a massive fleet-tugger

Are those gonna be Mk. I-III or, is it the progression youve made on the sprite (from L to R). I Like the one on the right the most, visually I can only ask if you could make the inner yellow rims the same tone as the inner (I see them as..) dark-yellow fuel tanks.  

love those two concepts on the bottom right, really nice. Will you try recoloring them?
The third from the left is also really good, would love to see it redone in the two last designs.

Will we see a civilian mini faction? maybe a transport company? Edit: TT subfaction, got it ;)

Lore wise, the sub-faction for the T.T. I want to make, has contracted an independant trade company, that has these large freighters. While in vanilla the T.T. is hostile towards the Independent faction, some exeptions had to made.. the needs justify the means I would say. Code wise, the supply fleets would be part of the T.T.-subfaction, but have Independent contractor names.. or something like that :) I thought about adding a third faction, but then its too crowded :) "Fooling" players tot hink its different "guys" handeling the T.T. supply needs has other benefits - for example I can go and reskin one of the Remnant/Council sprites and say they were sold to them, cause they were hoping, it would make life worse for T.T.(with whom they are at war with..)

As for recoloring - what color would you suggest? I obviously went for the Apogee colors, due to them being easily associated with T.T and Independents (+ didnt have to touch the vanilla sprite at all  :-X :D)

Anyways, here is the final collection, gonna stop here right now, because I need to move on to more pressing matters - and sprites :)

Spoiler
[close]

(Not sure, if I will use all the sprites and mix them up in the fleets or not yet).

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: October 08, 2013, 06:22:20 AM »

All new Zorg ships get their own unique build-in weaponry and all sprites are hand-drawn instead of kitbashed:

Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 08:17:42 AM by Erick Doe »

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: October 08, 2013, 08:23:16 AM »

I really like your new Zorg Erick. The sphere is perfect. However i think the big one may need a bit more greebling in the center. I especially love the new weapons. Be sure to make them animated, it would be truly awesome.

MrDavidoff, i prefer your new freighters with the main hull "behind" the containers.

Thule, i like your huge tugboats. I'm not sure about the one on the right, i like the new greebling plate armor but it feel a bit different from other TLS style. Nevertheless, still incredible ships. BTW, what about your three faction coalition project?

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: October 08, 2013, 01:46:55 PM »

I've added a bit more greebling to the centre of the cruiser. Added the Allocator transport. Will add a longer version as well (elongated midsection).
Spoiler
[close]

I'm quite happy with the new ships and their custom weapons. Can't see it here but they play an animation while powering up.

Currently working on the capital ship (control matrix). I want to give it a really distinct shape, to set it apart from the other square shaped ships.

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: October 08, 2013, 03:39:28 PM »

Glad to see Erick Doe is still doing crap tons of mods! Also that he is a mod, that's neat too.

So I made these guys a long time ago, funnily enough for one of Erick Doe's projects, and I was told they were actually neat.

I've cleaned them up a bit and attempted to make them more interesting but I'm curious, what do you guys think they need to fit into the game? They're basically going to be a Corporation's line of experimental drone ships.

AD5 Line-up.
Spoiler
[close]

Same goes for these, although I think they're even more... out of sync with the rest of the game.

RT5 Line-up.
Spoiler
[close]

I have plans for a less stylistic set of factions too, but I want to do these guys as a quick and simple deal to get up to date.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: October 08, 2013, 03:51:44 PM »

I've added a bit more greebling to the centre of the cruiser. Added the Allocator transport. Will add a longer version as well (elongated midsection).
Spoiler
[close]

I'm quite happy with the new ships and their custom weapons. Can't see it here but they play an animation while powering up.

Currently working on the capital ship (control matrix). I want to give it a really distinct shape, to set it apart from the other square shaped ships.

The shading at the edge of the ships looks a little odd, as if they're darkened disproportionally. Although if that's you're style, that's you're style - but it doesn't seem to match the lines or produce a perceived effect of depth.

The first ship on the left looks correct because it's a spherical shape, so if it was being lit from above you would expect a similar light fall off, however with the largest far right ship the light fall off appears inaccurate as it's square/linear edged, it just doesn't look 'right'.

Other than that they're pretty cool looking ships. Fantastic work.
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 482