Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2223190 times)

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #1860 on: July 17, 2013, 07:10:31 PM »

6 mediums could be quite the potent missile spammer (18 Pilums to a volley), but 6 smalls is like, 6 3-shot sallies, which is often rather underwhelming. Usually only find that small 3-shooters should fit to frigates because only frigates will get into such short-lived fights.

Ember

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: July 17, 2013, 07:27:28 PM »

well the only other weapons it has are 4 smalls which should be dedicated to point defense, since she ship has no other way to defend against missiles, though i probably will give it point defense drones

Edit:
Redid the Carrier though I'm not sure when but I reduced its size though I have a feeling I might need to increase it

Spoiler
New                                        Old

[close]
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 10:11:12 PM by Ember »

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: July 18, 2013, 12:06:36 AM »

hows this for a missile destroyer?

4 small ballistic and 6 either small or medium missile slots

Spoiler
[close]

Very nice, I like the lack of sharp detailing and the color scheme.

Gives it a very nice, almost Armored Core esque style to it
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: July 18, 2013, 12:08:23 AM »

Same applies for that carrier, very nice shading! Well lit and you nailed the light source.

Not too sure on those front weapon mount blocks, seem a bit dark and thin lined to me....
- Albert Einstein

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #1864 on: July 18, 2013, 03:33:53 AM »

Nice going, Ember. :) Maybe someday you can teach me that stuff. :D

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: July 18, 2013, 10:19:29 AM »

Hey Sprog...remember your Cleaver Gunship?

I was looking to create a good Gunship for my game because, frankly, the Brawler sucks and most mods' "Gunships" are just "Ships with guns" instead of a helicopter-style Gunship.

Your Gunship sprite was the best I've seen so far, so I enlarged it a bit, modded on some slightly larger weapon hardpoint areas, and gave it stats/loadouts.  Hope you don't mind.  I'm not using it for a big mod or anything, just my personal use in the campaign so far.  Anyway, this is the result:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6h1y6hvt5dbzsio/Cleaver%20Gunship.rar

In the "Tore Up Plenty" style, you'll start with it if you choose "Did something else" at character creation.  So far it does it's role excellently.  It's good against larger or slower targets due to it's slim profile, good forward shields, and forward-focused firepower, but a poor dogfighter due to those same reasons (And lack of Turrets).

Anyway, if anyone wants to use it, you can go right ahead.  I'm just sick of not having a decent Gunship in Starfarer.  I might also mod together a Greenback Gunship as well for high-tech fleets.

Also, I'd love to see some more Frigate-sized Gunships and possibly even some Destroyer-sized ones.  The Helicopter/VTOL style of ship is sorely under-represented in the game so far outside of Fighters.

maximilianyuen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: July 18, 2013, 10:25:24 AM »

just to show that i am still alive and working on Valkyrial's ship

not reach the starsector stage yet, but getting close.
Spoiler
[close]
Fleet construction in progress.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #1867 on: July 18, 2013, 10:40:24 AM »

I was looking to create a good Gunship for my game because, frankly, the Brawler sucks and most mods' "Gunships" are just "Ships with guns" instead of a helicopter-style Gunship.

I am confused.

Gunship: An airplane or a helicopter heavily armed with machine guns or with machine guns and cannon, providing air support for ground troops in combat.

What seems to be the general idea in Starsector about what a gunship exactly is?

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: July 18, 2013, 10:43:53 AM »

Love your work, maximillian. Really great detail, and beautiful forms.

Spoiler
[close]

Working on a ship, it's kind of a gunship, but I don't know how big it is? I want it to be a frigate, but I can't help but think it could be a cruiser. What do you guys think?

approx sprite (resize only)

Frigate:
Spoiler
[close]

Destroyer:
Spoiler
[close]

Cruiser:
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 11:37:22 AM by mendonca »

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: July 18, 2013, 10:44:35 AM »

A "Gunship" in Starsector seems to be a lightly-armored vessel with A LOT of weaponry. :) Brawler is a perfect example, as it is called that.

I'd go with the frigate-size, mendonca.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #1870 on: July 18, 2013, 10:51:16 AM »

@mendonca: I'd go with Destroyer or Cruiser. It looks a bit too ominous to be a mere frigate. :)

@The Soldier: Thanks. So I labeled my Vaahrok correctly then. :)

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: July 18, 2013, 11:03:22 AM »

I am confused.

Gunship: An airplane or a helicopter heavily armed with machine guns or with machine guns and cannon, providing air support for ground troops in combat.

What seems to be the general idea in Starsector about what a gunship exactly is?

Naval Gunship and Helicopter Gunship are two different things.  The Naval Gunship is basically a boat loaded up with guns.  Almost any boat can be a Gunship, technically.

Helicopter Gunships are maneuverable, durable ground-attack craft, typically with limited anti-aircraft abilities but superb ground-striking abilities with an emphasis on precision.

I was more referring to helicopter-styled in that it has a very slim, hard-to-hit-from-the-front profile, ideal for a gunship.  It can keep it's tightly-packed forward guns trained on a target while presenting it's target with a hard-to-hit opponent.

My cornerstones for Starsector Gunships are:

+Forward-facing Hardpoint Weapons as the main source of firepower.  No turrets or minimal turrets with VERY limited arcs.
+Efficient forward-locked shields.
+Good maneuverability and acceleration/deceleration, allowing it to strafe
+Decent speed (This is what KILLS the Brawler)
+A compact design, allowing more precise application of firepower and less "Wasted space" making the ship a bigger target.

I was trying to get some Apache or Cobra Helicopter sprites to mod up some other Gunships, but I can't find any decent ones that are top-down and don't have giant-ass rotors blocking most of the sprite.  I can't draw for crap, myself, so I haven't been able to whip up any decent sprites and almost any that I found besides Sprog's awesome work clashed with the vanilla look so hard that they looked to be a different game.  I could see Sprog's ship fitting in with any midline (Or even some Hegemony) fleets, so that's what I went with for looks.

I wish I could make my Cleaver sprite a bit less blurry, but upsizing it tends to do that.  I love how it handles in-game, though.  Easy to get into a capital ship's blind spots and hover there.  And the closely-packed guns let you easily focus your fire on a key engine or weapon system on the enemy ship.

But it's not great against Fightercraft, has to watch out for tail-seeking missiles, and in a fleet battle has to be aware that it's rear is wide-open.  And at only 150 max speed, a lot of the faster Tri-tach ships can still kite it pretty easily.

Also, I'd go with the Destroyer size too, Mendoza.  It looks a bit wide and bulky for a Frigate, but a bit on the small side for a Cruiser.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 11:07:30 AM by Nanostrike »

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: July 18, 2013, 11:08:28 AM »

In space game terms, gunships tend to be lightly armoured hard hitting ships.   Gun-ship. The space borne equivalent of an A-10.  The Skaal can be considered a gunship.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: July 18, 2013, 11:24:07 AM »

Hey Sprog...remember your Cleaver Gunship?

Your Gunship sprite was the best I've seen so far, so I enlarged it a bit, modded on some slightly larger weapon hardpoint areas, and gave it stats/loadouts.  Hope you don't mind.  I'm not using it for a big mod or anything, just my personal use in the campaign so far.  Anyway, this is the result:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6h1y6hvt5dbzsio/Cleaver%20Gunship.rar

In the "Tore Up Plenty" style, you'll start with it if you choose "Did something else" at character creation.  So far it does it's role excellently.  It's good against larger or slower targets due to it's slim profile, good forward shields, and forward-focused firepower, but a poor dogfighter due to those same reasons (And lack of Turrets).

Anyway, if anyone wants to use it, you can go right ahead.  I'm just sick of not having a decent Gunship in Starfarer.  I might also mod together a Greenback Gunship as well for high-tech fleets.

Also, I'd love to see some more Frigate-sized Gunships and possibly even some Destroyer-sized ones.  The Helicopter/VTOL style of ship is sorely under-represented in the game so far outside of Fighters.

Hey man, Glad you like the sprite, Just be sure to leave credit :P

I've been looking to get into spriting more for fighters, Pm me on steam sometime (sproginator66) and we can chat about it.

-Sprog
- Albert Einstein

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: July 18, 2013, 11:58:59 AM »

« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 01:20:00 PM by mendonca »

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 482