Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2210807 times)

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #7200 on: August 22, 2019, 12:03:20 AM »

Thanks, Xenoargh, I think cutting the pieces up and trying to add lighting that way is a good idea. I'll try my own take on it.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7201 on: August 22, 2019, 12:39:06 AM »

Go for it!  Didn't do anything fancy there; that was literally just cutting it up quickly in PS into layers, then applying some gradients as Soft Light / Overlay, mainly, and then little touchups / airbrush.  Very easy, very fast, and you'll have a sense of volume quickly.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Matthew_Collins

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7202 on: August 22, 2019, 02:43:21 PM »

Version Checker marks this mod as unsupported and I can't seem to be able to make any of these structures, am I dumb?

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #7203 on: August 22, 2019, 10:16:36 PM »

Version Checker marks this mod as unsupported and I can't seem to be able to make any of these structures, am I dumb?
Wrong thread friend?

halorser

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7204 on: August 31, 2019, 02:39:31 AM »

Hi first time doing sprites and I would like some feedback. I'm using paint.net atm, but I'm looking into using photoshop later.

My very first sprite I ever did, I feel like I failed most aspects on it... >.>

My second attempt, this time I used the falcon as a base and tried to make it be a heavier stealthy ship.

Which finally turned into this.

Finally, any tips on kit bashing? I feel like it's really hit or miss when I try, the only one I think turned out semi decent is this.

My attempt at a higher tech modification for the Mule..

My attempt at a higher tech modification for the Lasher..

I tried to preserve the art style of the game and I think I did a mediocre job at it.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 11:30:22 AM by halorser »

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7205 on: September 01, 2019, 06:35:00 AM »

For paint.net sprites those are pretty decent, you can only progress from here.

Of course, i'm not usually one to post relevant criticism, but it's best to take what fits the quota you're looking for and bash it on if you can.
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

Ryxsen1421

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #7206 on: September 03, 2019, 12:22:34 AM »

Just waiting for my friend to graduate from college so that we can resume work on the UAF.

Hi first time doing sprites and I would like some feedback. I'm using paint.net atm, but I'm looking into using photoshop later.

Hey hey, welcome to starsector modding. Nice to see your first try is significantly better than mine from long ago, I would recommend you to avoid using pure black as base color or shading because that'll drown along with the typically black space background. You should try to work around by using a dark color instead, like dark gray-ish blue or something in between.

Spoiler
[close]

halorser

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7207 on: September 03, 2019, 07:29:54 PM »

Just waiting for my friend to graduate from college so that we can resume work on the UAF.

Hey hey, welcome to starsector modding. Nice to see your first try is significantly better than mine from long ago, I would recommend you to avoid using pure black as base color or shading because that'll drown along with the typically black space background. You should try to work around by using a dark color instead, like dark gray-ish blue or something in between.

Spoiler
[close]

Thanks mate, I tried making it less black this time and I think it turned out to be the best I've done!
I overlayed a ship over the mule and made it into a "rugged" cruiser called the Endurance.

I would like some feedback on some other ones I've finished (before the Endurance) if possible, be as brutal as possible!

Bulwark, an almost stationary defense platform that has extreme pros (extreme range and ammo feed subsystems) and cons (almost stationary without the flux speed boost and flux venting issues) which needs to have a fleet built around it to cover it.

Tower, a platform which a large weapon mount and ammo feed subsystems with the same issues as the Bulwark, just smaller and less range.

Rocket, a pirate frigate that can achieve extreme speeds going in a straight line, but can barely turn, it typically mounts reapers to make sure that it doesn't need another pass.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 07:43:21 PM by halorser »

Ryxsen1421

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #7208 on: September 03, 2019, 11:52:20 PM »

You need to be more bolder with coloring and use brighter colors to define the height so that you can get the shape you wanted for the ships. So far, I think the Tower is the best in terms of coloring and lighting, the random gribble bits are also there to help make it look better. The Endurance feels a bit flat due to the shading/lighting, I would recommend try to shade along the curved lines to bring the shape out. Unfortunately, the Bulwark lacks proper lighting and you used a very dark one as the base color. I can hardly see a thing, not even the gun mounts.

halorser

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7209 on: September 04, 2019, 01:09:04 AM »

I see, I think the biggest problem I have is shading at the moment.

I've tried to fix it, but I feel like I'm missing something.
Original

1st attempt to fix

2nd attempt to fix

I think the main issue is sloping shadows/casting shadows for me, the middle of the ship is the highest and if the light is closer to the front of the ship, it would cast a shadow down to the below levels...
I cant seem to shade it properly (maybe it's a paint.net issue)...

EDIT: So I tried my hand at making a lighter ship and tried to shade as accurately as possible. I feel like it didn't turn out so well, mostly due to my lack of capability to shade and to put in details without the help of overlaying a existing ship.

This is the shademap I used for the ship
Spoiler
[close]

After multiple failed attempts, I think got the shading for the ship done, overall I think it still needs a lot of work

« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 08:12:51 PM by halorser »

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7210 on: September 11, 2019, 08:46:11 PM »

@Halorser:

1.  Start small.  Like, fighter-sized.  Bigger sprites take longer and can be frustrating at first.

2.  If you want to build something bigger than a fighter, start big.  Start with a big sprite, then shrink it down to your final size, when it's basically ready.  It's easier to control brushes and suchlike when you're working on a large scale.

3.  Start by blocking out the forms with light and darkness.  Then block in color and finally add detail.  That's usually the easiest way to get going when you're trying to build up your forms.  It's much, much more difficult / time-consuming to do all this later, when it's pixel-sized and has tons of noisy detail making it hard to tell where up and down are.

The Endurance is great for early on.  I think the main things I see not working are, largely:

A.  Heavy blacklining that's too thick; it makes it look less than totally awesome.  Don't feel bad, some of my early stuff here was hand-drawn stuff I scanned, and I had the same issues and worse, lol.  It's hard to work that out; usually, the Right Answer is, when it's still large, work that down to a minimum as you do the lighting stage.  At this point, you'd have to do a bunch of careful airbrush and other things to fix it.

B.  As you've discovered the hard way, it's hard to get the lighting and overall sense of proportion right once you've committed to the details.  The second attempt is actually very nice in a lot of ways, but a few more stages will get it to excellent.

A better way to block things out is to get your shapes, core details and lighting filled in with grays, then use that with one or more layers to build your basic colors.  Generally, if you're working at a large scale, you can just do the whole thing with a few layers.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 08:57:48 PM by xenoargh »
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
« Reply #7211 on: September 11, 2019, 11:56:25 PM »

Tower, a platform which a large weapon mount and ammo feed subsystems with the same issues as the Bulwark, just smaller and less range.

This one is pretty cool. Get rid of that blacklining around the outer edges and make it less square on the front and it'd be good, IMO - especially if you turned that large into a medium and maybe gave it a few more smalls.
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7212 on: September 12, 2019, 02:06:50 AM »

Wait, is that just a sawed off

With Diable mounts?