Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2210810 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #6240 on: April 22, 2016, 06:28:37 PM »

For a good starting-place, I'd suggest a visit to where David goes to get inspired sometimes:  Arne's spaceship guide; it's one of the best fundamental discussions of form and its role in aesthetics in game art.

See the various tutorials around here for some practical tips on fast workflows; I did one about how to speed-paint from a loose sketch, which you might find handy, because it can work well with brushy styles, although I didn't really talk about that much at the time.  Someday I need to talk about detailing and pixel-art concepts, too.

msShadowy's released some great guides / videos and his workflow / styler is somewhat similar to yours.

But don't be too scared to give it a go.  Ships are mainly about building up forms in grays from sketch and then working in color; there are a lot of ways to approach that.  I've largely ended up drifting to 3D because of my time constraints, but there is no real "right answer" to get to a good approach; there are a lot of ways to build up nice sprites.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

shuul

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6241 on: April 23, 2016, 09:55:51 AM »

Hey, that is my first sprite "from scratch"

Light Destroyer for my mod.
As is it is my first one I would be thankful for any critic. (it looks dull to me, is there a way to improve it, or should I just start a new one?)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 09:58:29 AM by shuul »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6242 on: April 23, 2016, 10:04:29 AM »

I made that a while ago but it applies to your sprites too: These are things present on vanilla ships that are currently lacking in yours.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 06:02:31 AM by Tartiflette »

star_sektor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6243 on: April 24, 2016, 01:48:37 AM »

Hi.

Don't ask me to colour it, it's like asking me to defeat an Onslaught with a toothpick.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 07:51:50 AM by star_sektor »
Spriting a capital ship? Ain't no one got time fo dat

Volken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6244 on: April 24, 2016, 12:13:53 PM »

I made that a while ago but it applies to your sprites too: These are things present on vanilla ships that are currently lacking in yours.

Shading all of those bits and greebles properly is the biggest challenge. Finding the right balance between light and dark is something that I'm having the most trouble with. Does anyone know any good tutorials regarding this?

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #6245 on: April 24, 2016, 01:09:55 PM »

Hi.

Don't ask me to colour it, it's like asking me to defeat an Onslaught with a toothpick.
Looks amazing! Pleaaaaase colour it!
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6246 on: April 24, 2016, 02:36:37 PM »

I like it, sektor. I would be curious to see your 3D interpretation of other ships.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6247 on: April 26, 2016, 02:54:47 AM »

Just plugging away.

Spoiler
[close]

Abyz

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6248 on: April 26, 2016, 07:28:36 AM »

Just plugging away.

Spoiler
[close]

That's nice!

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6249 on: April 26, 2016, 09:17:41 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

Still rather wip (no shading/awesome red light fx as of yet, also missing large mounts)... painted primarily as a single layer so far
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 09:25:37 PM by kazi »

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6250 on: April 26, 2016, 09:26:28 PM »

The yellow highlighting on the inner forward hull and fin edges look hella sexy, but the Mayorate is known for being stylish like that.  I'm actually more interested by the four light brown bulbs or discs at the rear of the ship - part of the propulsion?  Associated with the ship system?  I don't know yet, but they instantly distinguish this ship from the other Mayorate ships, which all look slightly same-y.  I look forward to seeing what this ship does.

The asymmetry is also interesting.  I'd suggest making it slightly more prominent, actually - it's cool, but I didn't even notice it at first glance because the asymmetrical bits balance out very evenly overall.  Changing their relative size slightly or having the asymmetrical elements start farther forward on one side would make them more interesting IMO.  The forward prong is a nice touch.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 09:36:31 PM by Adraius »

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6251 on: April 26, 2016, 10:05:06 PM »

The yellow highlighting on the inner forward hull and fin edges look hella sexy, but the Mayorate is known for being stylish like that.  

:D

I'm actually more interested by the four light brown bulbs or discs at the rear of the ship - part of the propulsion?  Associated with the ship system?  I don't know yet, but they instantly distinguish this ship from the other Mayorate ships, which all look slightly same-y.  I look forward to seeing what this ship does.

Those are fuel tanks. My current idea for the ship system is extremely offense-oriented, has between 100 and 500 uses, and is not related to guns or mines. Haven't started coding it yet. (That's all the hints you get.  :))

The asymmetry is also interesting.  I'd suggest making it slightly more prominent, actually - it's cool, but I didn't even notice it at first glance because the asymmetrical bits balance out very evenly overall.  Changing their relative size slightly or having the asymmetrical elements start farther forward on one side would make them more interesting IMO.

Mayyyyyybeee.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 10:10:49 PM by kazi »

Abyz

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6252 on: April 27, 2016, 07:25:11 AM »

I'd actually prefer more symmetry! :) Really cool sprite.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6253 on: April 27, 2016, 10:31:06 AM »

@Soren:  That's very nice!  Dirty it up a little bit, it's golden :)

@Kazi:  Nicely done thus far, as usual :)  If that's roughly final scale, then you have a long way to go on those micro-details; really looking forward to seeing it fleshed out.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6254 on: April 27, 2016, 01:30:44 PM »

@Soren:  That's very nice!  Dirty it up a little bit, it's golden :)

Dirt's on the list - right now I'm just trying to finalize layouts for all my ships, then I'll put together some filth layers that would gag a maggot ;D.

(Did a low-tech recolor that's actually golden, too.)

@Kazi: I'm enjoying this one a lot - I've got mixed feelings about a lot of your ships from a design perspective (too many similar silhouettes) but I can't fault the execution. I look forward to giant flamethrower action.
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 482