Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 412 413 [414] 415 416 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2210887 times)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #6195 on: April 02, 2016, 10:54:19 PM »

That's mostly because black ships tended to show up badly on the old backgrounds so everyone got used to not doing it. I'm pretty sure there's plenty of ships that would really neat with blackish colour schemes in the modiverse
More like it is a lazy and crap color scheme
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Wild Card

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6196 on: April 03, 2016, 01:44:23 AM »

Ah come on a couple of black (ish) shiny ships would add some color to SS, it is by now means a crap color scheme.

joe130794

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6197 on: April 03, 2016, 02:18:32 AM »

They could always be made to look a bit stealthy though. Shame no-one has figured out how to actually make a stealth ship. since the phase cloak just makes everything pass through you. Could do with a proper cloaking system.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6198 on: April 03, 2016, 03:12:34 AM »

They could always be made to look a bit stealthy though. Shame no-one has figured out how to actually make a stealth ship. since the phase cloak just makes everything pass through you. Could do with a proper cloaking system.
Not possible, at least not for player use. The UI isn't moddable.

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6199 on: April 03, 2016, 04:55:57 PM »

That's mostly because black ships tended to show up badly on the old backgrounds so everyone got used to not doing it. I'm pretty sure there's plenty of ships that would really neat with blackish colour schemes in the modiverse
More like it is a lazy and crap color scheme

Correction, lazy people make lazy colour schemes. Regardless of the palette. Ryxsen's ships are clearly anything but lazily done, and they have a black-adjacent colour scheme. As for crap? Matter of opinion sadly.

Ryxsen1421

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #6200 on: April 03, 2016, 11:12:16 PM »

...and that fellas is how you discourage people from doing creative works. Yes you can say you got me triggered with that statement of yours- just... what did I do wrong to deserve that harsh critism/opinion? I'm quite sure some people here knew that I'm a fan of dazzle camouflage pattern, at least it stands out among all nice mods out there assuming that I was that inspired to actually finish what I started back in 2014 and finally earn my rights to be with them.

Look, I'll just pretend that I dint read what's above this post here so that we can move on okay..?

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6201 on: April 04, 2016, 03:48:31 AM »

...and that fellas is how you discourage people from doing creative works. Yes you can say you got me triggered with that statement of yours- just... what did I do wrong to deserve that harsh critism/opinion? I'm quite sure some people here knew that I'm a fan of dazzle camouflage pattern, at least it stands out among all nice mods out there assuming that I was that inspired to actually finish what I started back in 2014 and finally earn my rights to be with them.

Look, I'll just pretend that I dint read what's above this post here so that we can move on okay..?

Just to clear the air, because I'm a little concerned you misconstrued what I was saying, I'm fully on board with those ships, they look great.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6202 on: April 04, 2016, 04:00:34 AM »

It looks great indeed, only thing i can see is a few jagged edges here and there, but that is about it.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6203 on: April 04, 2016, 04:35:52 AM »

To me black paintjobs are more a gameplay concern rather than an aesthetic issue. Dark busy hulls with dark weapons means you can't easily assess the threat at glance. And even more so if the monitor played on is already dark (like mine if I don't want headaches). The fact that it may (or may not, whaterver everyone's opinion is) looks great is irrelevant in that perspective.

Here's a good example:
Spoiler
[close]
If it wasn't for the active system, you'd never have noticed the two rear turrets.

This one is far better:
It is dark, but not too busy or completely black,
although the weapons slots could be placed on brighter area IMO.

But it is still way more readable than yours.

Again, it's not a critic of the aesthetic, it is a matter of gameplay implications.

Ryxsen1421

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #6204 on: April 04, 2016, 05:37:01 AM »

I tried a different approach, supervised by Mesotronik.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 05:40:25 AM by Ryxsen1421 »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6205 on: April 04, 2016, 05:48:28 AM »

Not that is something I like! Way more readable.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6206 on: April 04, 2016, 10:32:45 AM »

I do actually like the black/red version - though the new silver version is also very nice!

The key to Tartiflette's complaint, imo, is that the weapon systems need to have contrast.  Yeah, it's hard to see the slots on that black/red frigate.  But I don't actually care about that - that's only important in the refitting screen, and it has nice little indicator icons.  What is important is making the weapons readable; most vanilla weapons would stand out quite well on a dark ship, and as long as the mod's weapons contain enough light colors to establish visible contrast, there shouldn't be any problem.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

DestinyPlayer

• Ensign
  • A passing by person
    • View Profile
« Reply #6207 on: April 04, 2016, 01:04:23 PM »

Not exactly a ship, and not exactly anything to do with Starsector, but heck, I need some critique, so here I go. It's still heavily in WIP, because I still need to add arms and legs and to fix the pelvis, but can anybody say anything about what's already done? I feel like the helmet is kinda flat right now, but I'm not sure what can I do to fix it due to how thin the border around the face/screen is.
Spoiler

[close]

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #6208 on: April 04, 2016, 01:38:43 PM »

I tried a different approach, supervised by Mesotronik.

Definitely an improvement, although I would try even harder to approximate the top sprite, a lot of the contour of the ship is lost in visual noise from overshaded surface details and "chunks".

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6209 on: April 04, 2016, 08:55:05 PM »

I like the black/red version too, but I can't really see much of the details in the black sections. I like that grayish blue version a lot too.
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 [414] 415 416 ... 482