Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2309417 times)

Petra the Squishy

• Captain
  • I'm but a woman with a pencil.
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #5850 on: November 01, 2015, 02:50:33 PM »

Here's another one

It makes me think of a light Destroyer, a Freighter honestly. Not too bad, not too bad at all. :) Keep it up!
I'm not spinless, I'm squishy.
Original Mod author of Metelson Industries.

Volken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5851 on: November 02, 2015, 06:09:22 AM »

Re-designed the larger freighter because it looked too boring and didn't really fit the style i was going for, also i have to apologize to star_sektor for using parts of his design without asking. Hope you're not too mad at me :P

Also improved more on my old design:

EDIT: Tested the sprites in-game , they are smaller than they look which is something i have to change. Any tips on how to make them bigger without loss in quality or do I have to redraw them completely?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 12:19:04 PM by Volken »

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5852 on: November 02, 2015, 12:40:16 PM »

EDIT: Tested the sprites in-game , they are smaller than they look which is something i have to change. Any tips on how to make them bigger without loss in quality or do I have to redraw them completely?

Heh, I suppose you see what I meant about the sizing now :P

Unless you've got larger-sized versions laying around to scale down, not really. Scaling up is never pretty. Tacking on parts or otherwise adding on is about the only option I see without redrawing, but I doubt you want to do that.

It's a little too late for those sprites now, but a trick I've been doing is to do the initial shape and shading at 100x in-game size, then scale it down and finish it. It doesn't save much time, but it does mean I don't have to redraw the whole thing over and over.

I'm still pretty newbie myself, though, so maybe someone else knows a trick or two?

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5853 on: November 03, 2015, 09:03:30 AM »

Idk about any 'tricks' but I find that just drawing your sprite at game scale is a perfectly acceptable solution. I don't think I've ever been in a situation where having my sprite scaled up or down would be helpful to the actual drawing part of it, especially if you're using something like photoshop or gimp. I've drawn all of my sprites at the same scale as they'll be in game and I've never had any problems.

mendonca

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5854 on: November 07, 2015, 06:56:45 AM »

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Zudgemud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5855 on: November 07, 2015, 08:47:28 AM »

Wow, the hull looks really fantastic, I hope you are making the whole faction style like that. :)

However, all turrets, hardpoints and those two tiny circles at the upper left corner all look a bit out of place, it feels like they lack the shading overhaul that the rest of the sprite has gotten. As an example, it would probably look even better if the front left medium turret slot located in a depressed feature on the hull was more heavily shaded to emphasize that it is on a lower plane than the other turret slots.

Still looks great though, and with guns on those slots you would not notice anything like that anyway.   
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 08:49:46 AM by Zudgemud »

mendonca

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5856 on: November 07, 2015, 12:29:06 PM »

Thanks for the feedback :)

I'm not sure if it will feature at all just yet, was a half-hour hue-shift kitbash / overlay of some JP sprites and kinda liked how it turned out. Totally agree about some of the turrets looking out of place, though.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5857 on: November 07, 2015, 02:07:44 PM »

Zudge said everything i wanted to tell, so i'll just say that i like it a lot. A clear improvement over the older JP sprites.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #5858 on: November 07, 2015, 02:45:12 PM »

Best JP sprite ever. Good job man. Glad to see you still at it.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5859 on: November 09, 2015, 04:41:05 PM »

Reworked the Imperial Caesar.   
                                                                                                            Edit: Slightly more saturated and with reworked shading, a bit.

Aesthetically wise, it's a fairly big sidestep compared to other II ships. Personally, i'm feeling pretty proud of it. The new one feel brickier, tougher, closer to what i originally had in mind when i started spriting this faction. DR, however, isn't so hot on the new "lego" style when i showed him this. I wasn't super sure and wanted to know what are you thoughts about it?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 06:33:43 AM by HELMUT »

SpaceRiceBowl

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5860 on: November 09, 2015, 04:50:57 PM »

I feel that the colors are maybe a bit too brown. Liked the subtle orange-ish tone of the original II ship.
I really don't know what I'm doing...

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5861 on: November 09, 2015, 05:02:27 PM »

Well... it certainly looks like the armor-tank it is now.  And I'm glad whatever spinal weapon was between the two hulls is now less obtrusive, I thought that looked a bit out of place.  But I'm not a huge fan of the new armor plates.  The black borders that emphasize their thickness are too much right now IMO, and their roundness feels too... not organic, but still too rounded for an II ship.  I also am a huge fan of the bright golden the original had, I'm kinda sad to see it changed.

All that said... I think it might grow on me over time.  Maybe just brighten it up a bit, either by brightening the yellow or reducing the mascara lines everywhere. =P
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 09:56:36 PM by Adraius »

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5862 on: November 09, 2015, 09:48:43 PM »

Like others I personally preferred the original colour set, but I will also say that something about the new style feels... off I couldn't tell you what it was, maybe the relative scale of the plates? maybe the shading? Dunno. I love the shape, I love the style, but it feels a little jank

celestis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5863 on: November 10, 2015, 05:11:42 AM »

New Caesar look a bit under-shaded. Very flat in comparison wth the original.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5864 on: November 10, 2015, 07:48:57 PM »

Yeah just add some heavy, sharp shadows. The new one is definitely better in terms of hull shape and detail, but is much less 3D looking.
Pages: 1 ... 389 390 [391] 392 393 ... 482