Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2224812 times)

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #3465 on: March 17, 2014, 07:18:44 PM »

Ah, I see.

Maybe you could make that sand coloured mirrored bit in the middle much darker on the right half so those armor plates on the right would look like open hangar doors.

I think I know what the problem might be, those thingies on the right are shaded the wrong way. If these should be access points to the inside of the ship you might want to make them darker to the middle.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say, kinda complicated to explain properly ...
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

Muchoman798

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: March 17, 2014, 07:54:20 PM »

My newest ship including new animated parts, the red thingies wobble around nicely scaled with speed.

Spoiler
[close]

This ship fascinates me. I've always liked the idea of spacefaring creatures. Usually, they're depicted as space "whales," like in that Star Trek: TNG episode, when there's that organism/ship thing.

Do you intend for this to be a crewed kind of deal or not? I could see it going either way, which is a good thing, in my opinion. It adds versatility.

The two things which I dislike about this ship are the green "eyes" on the central pod and the hot pink tendons on the rear pincers/legs. They both stick out way too much, at least to me. In contrast to that, the neon green around the outer sort of antennae looks great there, kind of like radiation.

I could see this thing (ship or creature or both) in Star Control quite easily. It just has that vibe, which means it fits in with most of Starsector.

I'd rate it as 7.5/10. That'd be higher except for the eyes/tendons. It's a fantastic sprite.

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: March 17, 2014, 08:51:10 PM »

Try out my mod or watch one of my teaser videos to see some of my ships animated:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=7682.0

Eyes blink, tentacles swing around like fins and claws ... well, they claw XD.

I am not entirely sure if the ship will stay this way, it is new after all. But I am glad you like it for the most part.

Thanks for the feedback.

Edit: forgot to mention that the front of that ship/creatire is to the bottom left.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 04:05:58 AM by Tecrys »
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: March 18, 2014, 03:50:58 PM »

Just made a few ships.

Spoiler

[close]

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: March 18, 2014, 04:19:34 PM »

Helmut: Ship #4, the right two engines look wrong sitting next to each other; the one that's orthogonal is very crisp-looking, while the one that's rotated is blurred; neither engine looks wrong individually, but having them in the same style would, I think, look better.

Other than that... those are some really awesome ships.  I'm imagining heavily armored pseudo-civilian vessels, like the Mule or the Venture.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Muchoman798

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: March 18, 2014, 05:49:39 PM »

I like your ships a great deal, Helmut. I've been wanting to see ships which appear thrown together, because that fits the lore of Starsector. The smallest one looks a bit iffy, because the size kills the style, but the rest are excellent.

The way in which you would balance them for gameplay via the art, by giving them tons of weapons but no rear PD, is a great idea. It specializes them, which is important. Every ship should serve a specific purpose. These clearly would.

My only qualm with your design is the contrast in detail from the muck of shaggy metal to some of the engines, weapon mounts, hangars, and a few other bits. It makes the mentioned parts really stick out where they shouldn't. I say it's a qualm, but it's a rather large issue.

Those sprites have great potential. The style you are going for is something I've wanted to see in this game since I've started lurking on these forums months ago, but that contrast is a killer to me. #5 is the best large one, because the engines fit the style, and the only major issue with detail is, again, the weapon mounts. If you can make the rest have that balance as does #5, these would be among my favorite ship art ever. Seriously, you do a fantastic job capturing that style and feel. Maybe just blur up the weapon mounts, and change the very dark grey in them to a touch lighter shade.

Good work though :D

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: March 18, 2014, 06:47:35 PM »

I love the idea of Asteroid Ships and the silhouettes are great and the choice of details to make the materials is good :)

My only major critique is that the lighting isn't working well here.  Like I said earlier, not being consistent in terms of lighting tends to flatten things or confuse the eye; on a few of these guys, especially the fifth one's rear part and the sixth one's front area, it's a little confusing.

It's why people are commenting on the engines- if you look at the highlights, they're very inconsistent, in terms of where the light source is- and on the weapons mounts, which say "flat" while the silhouette and some of the other shading says, "rounded". 

Anyhow, another pass on the lighting wouldn't take long and would probably get them perfect; they're great concepts right now :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: March 19, 2014, 03:40:22 PM »

Thanks for the feedback!

The trick with sprites is that they tend to get blurry when rotated, especially the small ones. I'll try to change one of them. For the weapons mounts, i wanted something with a low-tech feel, but you're right, the contrast is too harsh, i'll come back to classic mounts, or maybe even custom ones?

I'll try to improve the lightning, always tricky to get right.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: March 19, 2014, 03:55:14 PM »

Well, you can sharpen them and blend them together with the original to increase your contrasts a bit.  Most of the "fuzz" can only be corrected by a bit of manual touchup here and there, though- again, making sure that the lighting cues are consistent will help a lot there.

Anyhow, I've blown my SS time arguing about silly backstory stuff today, but I might try doing a post pass on one of these later, just to see what might work :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: March 22, 2014, 08:36:49 AM »

Spaceballs and Spacetruckers got me thinking...

What if I were to mash modern weaponry, old rusty trucks and big old jet engines together?
Spoiler

[close]

Why, I'd end up with some heavy metal stuff:
Spoiler
[close]

I think this has some potential.

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: March 22, 2014, 12:54:52 PM »

Spaceballs and Spacetruckers got me thinking...

What if I were to mash modern weaponry, old rusty trucks and big old jet engines together?

Why, I'd end up with some heavy metal stuff:
Spoiler
[close]

I think this has some potential.
10/10, would blow up a Tritachyon space station with.  ;D

SpaceRiceBowl

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: March 23, 2014, 09:35:55 AM »

Space Alabama!
I really don't know what I'm doing...

Piemanlives

• Commander
  • I've Got This, I think...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: March 23, 2014, 07:41:41 PM »

Space hoooooooooooooooome Alabama!
This is called me throwing my missile swarm at you, and by swarm I mean massacre, and by missiles... I actually just mean missiles, there's actually not much to it really.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #3478 on: March 23, 2014, 08:02:10 PM »

Posting these here on behalf of HELMUT.

Castle-class Command Cruiser
Spoiler
[close]

Cathedral-class Capital Ship
Spoiler
[close]

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: March 23, 2014, 09:07:06 PM »

I just realized that for someone who don't like making big ships, i probably made more giant sprites that anyone else on the forum, with the possible exception of Valkyrial probably ;D

Oh well, here's something new.

Spoiler
[close]

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 08:11:45 AM by HELMUT »
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 482