Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2221315 times)

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #3015 on: January 15, 2014, 08:46:43 AM »

PS: Are you German?

Eh, people on the internet always ask me if i'm German ;D  Nope, i'm actually French. I know, HELMUT is not exactly a French Pseudonym.

For your sprite, it's definitely better. Now the thing that would be awesome would be to animate it. Erick tried to make an animated bio-ship once, have yet to see a gif of it though.

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: January 15, 2014, 09:25:32 AM »

I was definitely thinking about animating it but how does that work for Starsector?
Same as with weapons, create a folder and make frame by frame pictures?
Or is Starsector able to work with gif files?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 09:27:22 AM by Tecrys »
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: January 15, 2014, 09:43:06 AM »

Well, they're essentially like Decorative weapons, yes; it gets switched with some pretty simple code. 

Anyhow, I like the sprite conceptually, but it was very noisy and had a lot of near-transparent pixels hanging around.  I've reduced the noise and worked on picking out the forms a bit, and I think that improved it, especially against typical SS backgrounds.

Before / After:

Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Tecrys

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: January 15, 2014, 09:55:56 AM »

Thx Xenoargh!

That looks fantastic, what are u using to reduce that noise? How did you do the outlines?
I did everything with gimp2 for now but I guess there are some alternatives out there whic might do better for spriting than that ...

I'll read a few more guides to improve, for now I've only read the speed painting guide.

I Think I'll build up on the improved sprite.
I'll try to make those vines pulsate and those pincers need to snap.

this will be awesome!

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: January 15, 2014, 10:19:41 AM »

To reduce the noise is pretty straightforward; use Dodge and Burn and airbrush out areas that are really noisy.  I'm not sure about the outline in Gimp; in Photoshop it's a Layer Effect called "Stroke".

Anyhow, just for fun I did a Glaug version, just to see how that would feel :)

Anyhow, fantastic stuff here.  Shellster, I would like to see more color on those ships, but I presume you're blocking it out in grayscale atm.

OK, gotta get back to work :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: January 15, 2014, 11:25:52 AM »

The outlines kinda work with this ship except for the pincer i think, reducing the noise help though.

Anyway, a lil' update of my recent work:

Spoiler
[close]

Tecrys

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: January 15, 2014, 11:29:37 AM »

I do love your paint jobs!
I've seen a few of them before but I am still amazed by them.
I would love it if SS would be able to randomize the colours and/or paintshop of the ships to get some more variety.
Could be a future feature ...

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: January 15, 2014, 11:30:04 AM »

A new god is rising! I like the super pimped hyperion the most, but everything is pretty much amazing :D

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: January 15, 2014, 11:44:12 AM »

HELMUT, so cool!

Not sure really which one I like best, but maybe Castor & Pollux ...

Having said that, those supercharged tubes out the back of the Road-Rage .. Or maybe El Cascador ...

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: January 15, 2014, 11:57:40 AM »

Imagine mini bosses fleets each lead by one of this ships (or 2 in case of castor and pollux) to hunt down for superior loot and the chance of grabbing their precious blueprint...

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: January 15, 2014, 12:43:50 PM »

"Needs more weapon mounts!"

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: January 15, 2014, 12:49:27 PM »

That variant Dominator looks awesome - one of the biggest flaws in the vanilla Dominator is just the mostly-non-overlapping firing arcs for its two large weapons.  This version with turrets I might actually be tempted to use.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #3027 on: January 15, 2014, 01:01:08 PM »

How nice it'd be to have quests in this game and have the player be rewarded with these special variations of vanilla ships HELMUT's making. ;D

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: January 15, 2014, 02:14:11 PM »

Imagine mini bosses fleets each lead by one of this ships (or 2 in case of castor and pollux) to hunt down for superior loot and the chance of grabbing their precious blueprint...

How nice it'd be to have quests in this game and have the player be rewarded with these special variations of vanilla ships HELMUT's making

Yeah, well... That was indeed the idea. I pmed Talkie Toaster for a possible integration of this idea into his Bounty Hunt mod, haven't got any answer yet. Basically it will be a quest system in the campaign: you hunt the targeted fleet, destroy the flagship, you get the reward and the blueprint of the said ship.

Foxer, yeah as you said, those unique ships are different and usually more dangerous than the originals, they are still vanilla balanced though.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: January 15, 2014, 03:16:35 PM »

I have little art challenge for people who like animation, if anybody wants to give it a go.

I coded up a dynamic "engine" system that can be put onto Fighters; this replaces the stock Engines with something much, much faster (performance-wise) that uses an animated sprite sequence. 

This is something that will replace all of the Engines in Vacuum for all small things (fighters and Drones) because it results in a huge change in total performance in large battles (engines are one of the more expensive things in SS's sim that can be modified).

Moreover, this is kind of a test-bed project; if it works out, we may see a lot of new engine SFX projects based on the code.

Just like the "vernier thrusters" in the last build of Vacuum, this is something that could really use some decent art. 

So I thought I'd throw this one out and see if people wanted to take a go; if your work is selected, you'll be credited and all that. 

Technical specifications:

An animated PNG (using the same naming schema used for other animated weapons, i.e., name-then-00, name-then-01 and so forth that conveys an engine flame (not the engine itself, just the firey bits or whatever), subject to these specifications:

1.  Because this uses a Weapon, it needs to be centered XY (for convenience's sake if nothing else).  Use even-numbered sprite sizes, and I'd prefer power-of-two.
2.  Up to 8 frames of animation, designed to loop.  I've found four frames can convey a lot of dynamic motion if it's being shown quickly and it's efficient, but memory isn't a major consideration here.
3.  It uses additive blending, so bear that in mind; it can cause a "glow" on top of things it's mounted on while it's running, for example, which can produce a nice "halo" effect, etc.
4.  It's going to dynamically change height and width over time, so it can't have elements that can't be stretched without ruining the effect (but you'd be surprised how much you can get away with, so going bold is probably better than trying to play it safe).

I have the following color values as a base (feel free to use more colors, this is the base palette, with RGB listed:

1.  Midline: (255,125,75)
2.  Tri-Tach blue and "electric" blue:  (0,190,255)
3.  Glaug engine green: (145,255,0)
4.  Pirate purple: (175,0,255)
5.  Exigency near-white: (241,234,207)

Example sprites are attached, just to give an idea of what this requires, naming conventions and all that.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Xeno's Mod Pack
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 482