Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2224112 times)

starfigter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #1320 on: March 09, 2013, 04:54:18 PM »

one problem the dark red bits don't look attached, the middle ones look to thin as well.....i really like the engine though, same with the 'claws'

(Im sounding soo harsh and that makes me sad :( )
Should probably move back the top red parts 5 pixels, and try to make the other red part more 'connected' to the middle part.
oh well, Im still learning.

Lordzias

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: March 10, 2013, 09:37:48 AM »

Spoiler
[close]

A pretty early WIP.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: March 10, 2013, 10:15:30 AM »

Sketching out a sort-of-bioship faction. This is one of the Capital ships I'm working on that I'll use to inform the general aesthetic of the fleet. It's light on hardpoints (which are messed up at the moment), but I hope to make up for it in some interesting way.

Spoiler
[close]
(it's the one in the middle)

It's still very much a WIP, but I'd be grateful for criticism.

A bit belated but Hot Damn.  Looks like Corvus may soon have to deal with an invasion from the BYDO Empire, heh.  I do agree with some of the comments that the weapon mounts seem out of place, but all in still quite a fantastic piece.

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: March 10, 2013, 10:37:49 AM »

@stickynavels
could you give some explaination about how you work?
it would probaply be really interresting for many how you got it so realistic
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

Vinya

• Captain
  • Vulgar at best...
    • View Profile
    • Mykyria Scifi/Zombie writing blog (Old site)
« Reply #1324 on: March 10, 2013, 12:15:26 PM »

WIP of an easter egg ship for Starfighter, considering that it's main inspiration is Andromeda Season 5...

Though, this sprite doesn't fit at all with Starsector. :(

Spoiler
[close]

I'm also looking for someone interested in doing something a bit new in the spriting world here, message me if interested. *Coughdriftercolonycough*
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 12:21:30 PM by Vinya »
If by "good guys" you mean "elitist regime that suppresses colonial independence and thrives off of an overwhelmingly deep gap in wealth between social classes," then yes.

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: March 10, 2013, 07:04:53 PM »

Went back to an old kitbash i never finished.

Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 08:44:20 PM by Thule »

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: March 10, 2013, 11:13:12 PM »

Would make an awesome pirate ship.

StickyNavels

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: March 11, 2013, 04:56:48 AM »

@stickynavels
could you give some explaination about how you work?
it would probaply be really interresting for many how you got it so realistic
I'm not sure a process rundown would be very useful -  pixel art is still new to me (I made a crappy frigate a few months back and that was it, until now) and I'm still sort of feeling my way. In other words, I don't have a solid workflow yet.

I can describe how I made the bioship, but it shouldn't be viewed as a set of instructions. I will probably use a different approach for the next ship.

However, there is one (more or less) consistent factor, and that's the process of thumbnailing, i.e. creating a bunch of small and loose sketches/silhouettes in order to eke out a general shape and important features. I believe it's common to do the thumbnails digitally, but I prefer to use a stack of post-it notes and a pen with flowy ink.

The creation of the bioship, which I've tentatively named "Horseshoe", went roughly as follows:

1) Make a bunch of thumbnails, get ink all over self. Decide on a thumbnail to develop further.
2) Create a bigger and more detailed sketch on the computer. I take my time on this step - I constantly re-check the sketch from all angles, rotating it as well as flipping it horizontally and vertically. This is an excellent way to detect any disturbances in the sketch's shape and flow. It's very easy to miss "obvious" flaws when you become too comfortable with the current perspective.
3) Clean the sketch and / or create a new layer with clean and clear linework.
4) Start on the values (on a new layer) / shading. With the Horseshoe, I worked in black and white. On a motive that wouldn't be scaled down so dramatically, I'd probably work in colour from the beginning, checking the values using a black and white adjustment layer in Photoshop (or similar). If you work in LAB you can just check the lightness channel (this method is superior, I think).
5) Combine linework and values, scale down to the final size.
6) Begin detailing. Like the intial sketch, this part is time-consuming (but also a lot of fun). I don't use dodge / burn or other special tools.
7) Add colour. For the Horseshoe, I simply adjusted the hue for each tone, doing some pixel-by-pixel work where I deemed it necessary.

On this scale, I think it's a good idea to contain a ship within a simple shape. It makes the ship easier to read and in this particular case offsets the "weirdness" a bit. The Horseshoe is more or less aligned within a kite, like so:
Spoiler
[close]
(The Horseshoe used to have a tail, but I cut it off!)

I hope this was of some use. I'll likely write up something more comprehensive when I've established a decent process, if there's interest. :)

Vinya: I think one important thing about Starsector's ships is that they're evenly lit, with the light coming from "above". In your sprite, the light source is right/front-right. Other than that, it's a very nice-looking ship.

MShadowy: Thanks! What's BYDO? And what do you think of the new hardpoints (pictured above)? I'm using coloured triangles to represent weapon type, class and direction. I.e, a single blue front-facing arrow represents a light energy hardpoint aligned frontwards. Two blue triangles facing front AND back represent a medium energy hardpoint with an omnidirectional / greater than normal turn radius.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:30:44 AM by StickyNavels »

TheHappyFace

• Admiral
  • The critic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: March 11, 2013, 09:47:16 AM »

hmm i see ,too bad no ground breaking stuff x).
still thanks for explaining.
how long did it take for you to draw it? not counting the ink sketches.

ow and dont you mean hoof instead of horseshoe?

weapon mounts look nice btw.
Fractalsoftworks limited edition ban hammer.

sini002

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: March 11, 2013, 10:32:35 AM »

thinking about the uniqueness of your ships, maybe you can make some sort of guide when you make the next one? :P might learn people something they didn't think about or know :)

Edit: i meant a maybe more specific guide with more pics and stuff maybe :P
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 10:47:01 AM by sini002 »

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: March 11, 2013, 10:44:16 AM »

Spoiler
[close]

MShadowy: Thanks! What's BYDO? And what do you think of the new hardpoints (pictured above)? I'm using coloured triangles to represent weapon type, class and direction. I.e, a single blue front-facing arrow represents a light energy hardpoint aligned frontwards. Two blue triangles facing front AND back represent a medium energy hardpoint with an omnidirectional / greater than normal turn radius.

Interesting idea on the hardpoints.  It looks quite nice I think, and gives an interesting indication of the functionality.  Well done!

As for the BYDO, they're the antagonists from the R-Type series of shooters, using a good deal of bio-tech and usually having a fleshy feel to them; your ship has a rather ominous feel that made me think of them for some reason.  Do be aware that the link has about the expected level of gibberish for a side-scrolling shooter; plot isn't exactly the strong point of the genre.  In short if whatever I'm thinking of can be crossed into a reference to something else, no matter how unreasonable the linkage may be, I'm probably going to make that leap.

Arumac

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: March 11, 2013, 05:20:34 PM »

I've got another ship, if anyone would like to critique it I would appreciate it very much.

Spoiler

The Wishbone light destroyer. It has a 0 length engine inside each of the circles, as well as 4 smaller engines coming out of the back center. I like how it came out for the most part, but I seem to be having a great deal of trouble coloring it, any feedback is appreciated.
[close]

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: March 11, 2013, 06:02:08 PM »

I like it!
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: March 11, 2013, 06:20:58 PM »

I've got another ship, if anyone would like to critique it I would appreciate it very much.

Spoiler

The Wishbone light destroyer. It has a 0 length engine inside each of the circles, as well as 4 smaller engines coming out of the back center. I like how it came out for the most part, but I seem to be having a great deal of trouble coloring it, any feedback is appreciated.
[close]
I was looking at your sprite and could't see the weapon points, then i realised they fitted in so well with the ship they looked like decoration! The sprite looks like a futuristic helicopter and therefor amazing, maybe do a bit more weapons (seems a little UP, unless it has lots of drones/ hidden weapons).

Overall YAY! looks nice.

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: March 11, 2013, 09:51:28 PM »

Went back to an old kitbash i never finished.

Spoiler

First Coloring Tests

First shading refinments

[close]
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 01:31:26 AM by Thule »

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 482