Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Friendly aircraft collisions  (Read 5948 times)

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
Friendly aircraft collisions
« on: May 04, 2011, 02:52:06 PM »

You've probably noticed this already, but I'll outline the issue just for kicks.

The AI seems to do a pretty damn fine job already at avoid obstacles and enemy fire, but more than a few times, friendly ships have collided with my capital ship (sometimes moving, sometimes not). This is particularly devastating when my shields are up and the AI controlled ship just keeps bumping into me over and over and over...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Friendly aircraft collisions
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 02:55:29 PM »

Thanks for the report - been wrestling with this for a while (and making incremental improvements - thought it was more or less fixed). Were the ships running into your cap ship large or small?

Frigate, destroyer, cruiser, capital are the sizes, btw.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 02:57:10 PM »

I've only had one time where the other ship did not raise its shields. Usually the collisions are between me in a cap or cruiser vs. another cap or cruiser, since neither of us can get out of the way in time, and the one shieldless collision was with a carrier-freighter, which I'm not sure had shields.

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 02:59:28 PM »

Thanks for the report - been wrestling with this for a while (and making incremental improvements - thought it was more or less fixed). Were the ships running into your cap ship large or small?

Frigate, destroyer, cruiser, capital are the sizes, btw.

They were fairly small. Destroyer sized I'd imagine.

SeaBee

• Commander
  • The stars are ... alive and breathing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 08:53:32 PM »

I try to get around this by putting the large ships in separate groups for deployment, or just deploying them in multiple waves. Too many times I end up with the bigger ships taking damage during the post-deployment "FLANK SPEED NOW" moments, this helps a bit.

Can always re-assign them in the warroom later.