Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 'general balance guidelines' for slots in .5a?  (Read 5173 times)

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
'general balance guidelines' for slots in .5a?
« on: December 17, 2011, 02:25:44 PM »

Got any general balance guidelines as to slot ratios & counts on the various ship sizes in .5a? I recalled that you had down-sized a lot of the slots for .5a

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: 'general balance guidelines' for slots in .5a?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 10:03:39 AM »

Hmm... nothing concrete, but mainly, a lot less "large" slots on cruisers. Most don't have any, the Apogee is down to 1 (the front HIL slot), the Dominator retains both of the large hardpoints as it's quite a bruiser. All of the large turrets on the Aurora, Eagle, and Falcon are now medium.

There are also a bunch more medium weapons to provide some variety for those new medium slots.

As long as a ship's power is balanced by its fleet point cost, it doesn't matter too much - the goal for reducing the amount of large slots wasn't balance, strictly speaking - it was to increase the importance of small and medium slots. They were (and are in the current release) rather marginal in importance.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 11:44:59 AM »

Right, ok.

I'll look over my ships and see what needs changing.

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 12:49:58 PM »

Hmm... nothing concrete, but mainly, a lot less "large" slots on cruisers. Most don't have any, the Apogee is down to 1 (the front HIL slot), the Dominator retains both of the large hardpoints as it's quite a bruiser. All of the large turrets on the Aurora, Eagle, and Falcon are now medium.

There are also a bunch more medium weapons to provide some variety for those new medium slots.

As long as a ship's power is balanced by its fleet point cost, it doesn't matter too much - the goal for reducing the amount of large slots wasn't balance, strictly speaking - it was to increase the importance of small and medium slots. They were (and are in the current release) rather marginal in importance.

Btw, I'm a big fan of your choices in this area.  It should improve both the look and the balance on those cruisers.  :)  I can't wait to see a preview of the new Medium weapons though, hint hint.  :)  In case you were wondering what to blog about in January.  ha ha
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 08:31:14 AM »

Well, I hope that January will involve a blog about the .5a release  ;)

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 08:42:09 AM »

Well, I hope that January will involve a blog about the .5a release  ;)

Indeed!  :)  Also, I hope for whirled peas for this Christmas season!  :)  lol.

p.s. If you don't get it, say it out loud.  ;D
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.