Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Idea for a new Destroyer Class Ship concept.  (Read 1764 times)

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
Idea for a new Destroyer Class Ship concept.
« on: December 16, 2011, 12:39:51 PM »

I was just pondering about the various roles and niches that the current ships in the game fill, be it low medium or high tech of various classes and sizes, and it occured to me that I would really love to see a smallish Destroyer type ship that was extremely durable, and at the same time extremely high tech and expensive

For instance, it would be great if you could pay out the nose to make a destroyer that could go nose to nose with a more standard cruiser and have a quite good chance of winning with a decently skilled pilot.  Now clearly this sort of ship is very unbalanced in general, so my thought was to have the very high price be the balancing factor in the campaign.  :) 

Anyhow, this is HIGHLY low priority and very much subject to taste, but it was just a random thought on another possible niche that might be filled if time and interest permits.

Also, it is very possible that this sort of thing will end up being possible through skills and the progression system that will be in place for the campaign that would allow extensive mods and tweaks in game to various existing ships for a price, and that would be fine too of course.

Thanks for reading.  :)
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for a new Destroyer Class Ship concept.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 11:58:20 AM »

Hmm... well, you'll definitely be able to do that with skills and hull mods/weapon loadout. In particular, Engineering skill will let you put more stuff on a ship - as well as probably unlocking better mods. The way I envision it, skills and loadout will be a major, major factor.

As far as having a given hull be that good - it's tempting, but have to be careful that something like that doesn't become the universal best option for the player. Things like cost and rarity aren't enough to balance it, because both will become less of an issue later in the game. You could raise its fleet points cost and have ridiculous fuel/supply requirements, though. Yeah, this sounds like fun :)