Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Another Multiplayer Suggestion (Take a look, you know you want to)  (Read 15294 times)

Shenka

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Hey everybody, I joined the forum just to post this idea, but taking a quick look at the FAQ and here in suggestions it seems there's a firm answer to all multiplayer suggestions right now :D. As I understand it takes a lot of resources to develop multiplayer for a game, but how much of that is spent working on balance compared to putting in the basic code that would enable multiplayer?

The way I just wrote it might be confusing, I'll quickly describe my idea. I would LOVE-LOVE having a simple co-op mode, where you and as many friends as your server can take share a fleet and go about the usual campaign stuff, controlling a flagship for each person in the battles. In the overworld your fleet would just respond to the last order from any of you (Fighting over control could be entertaining).

It wouldn't be perfect or balanced, but just controlling individual ships with your friends would be good fun. It might be chaotic, and if you've ever played Magicka with your friends, you'll know that can be very fun (Hello friendly fire).

No support for friends lists or server finding would be needed, like in Minecraft it could be 'make server; give ip to friend; friend joins ip'.

So I'm saying that balancing wouldn't be needed to implement a very fun mode like this. If you think, all things considered, it could be worth diverting resources from the singleplayer to put in, then I'd love you for looking into it.
I wouldn't be surprised if you've already thought about and canned a similar idea... But, you know. Just in case.  ;)

Oh, and I love your game.
Flying a ship you built yourself into battle, it's very satisfying indeed. You got it hooked.
If the combat was turn based I wouldn't have given it a second look, but real time? Phoooar.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Another Multiplayer Suggestion (Take a look, you know you want to)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 07:28:39 AM »

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=4187.0
There's this forum game.  All battle results are done by the AI and a video posted on Youtube.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 07:59:14 AM »

This is number 16 this suggestion is posted, and Alex has said no every time. Im sorry, its just not probably ever going to happen.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 08:28:13 AM »

basic code that would enable multiplayer?
That's just it. Multiplayer code isn't basic.

I would LOVE-LOVE having a simple co-op mode, where you and as many friends as your server can take share a fleet and go about the usual campaign stuff, controlling a flagship for each person in the battles.
I'd imagine a lot of people would love to play this with their friends, me included. It just isn't going to happen.

Oh, almost forgot:
Quote from: Billy Rueben

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 11:00:20 AM »

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=4187.0
There's this forum game.  All battle results are done by the AI and a video posted on Youtube.
Settle for this. I was thinking of suggesting alliances as a matter of fact in order to ad hoc big fleet battles.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 05:46:55 AM by GUNINANRUNIN »
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

Shenka

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 03:30:42 AM »

That's just it. Multiplayer code isn't basic.

Yeah I don't know how complex it is, what I mean by the 'basic code' is the bare minimum needed to implement multiplayer, in whatever raw sort of form.
Reading Alex's posts, I got the impression that much of the time that would be spent creating multiplayer would be used balancing it, making it fun in pvp etc.- I don't know what position the devs are in or what's possible at this stage, but I wanted to say that it would be possible to bypass that part of its development and still get a quality result.
So if it sounds feasible (maybe maybe feasible), the devs may want to look into it (yay).

16? Thought there would be a lot more  :D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 07:50:28 AM »

The "basic" code would likely involve rewriting the majority of the engine from scratch, along with likely design changes for things that don't work well in an environment with latency :)

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 07:51:21 AM »

The "basic" code would likely involve rewriting the majority of the engine from scratch, along with likely design changes for things that don't work well in an environment with latency :)

THE GOD HAS SPOKEN!

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 08:23:31 PM »

I ought to just say, I see no reason for there to be multiplayer in Starfarer. Primarily because I feel that once the game is released and totally making big awesome monies and Alex buys his new mansion, maybe we can beg for it to be in Starfarer 2. Which we will also be begging for.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 10:17:34 PM »

I ought to just say, I see no reason for there to be multiplayer in Starfarer. Primarily because I feel that once the game is released and totally making big awesome monies and Alex buys his new mansion, maybe we can beg for it to be in Starfarer 2. Which we will also be begging for.
There is every reason for it not to be in Starfarer, but not because it wouldn't be fun, which is what most seem to misunderstand.
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

Shenka

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 04:03:52 AM »

For real. An engine rewrite? :D Well thanks for reading.
Keep up the good work, I bet when Starfarer gets more mainstream exposure it'll start getting veerry big.