Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Customizable Stations  (Read 1590 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Customizable Stations
« on: August 28, 2012, 09:51:50 AM »

Just some ideas:

1.  I'd like to be able to swap out graphics for them on creation via Java, or have a JSON defining them, or both.  Custom bitmaps would give them a lot more interest.

2.  I'd like some MutableValues:

A.  Dockable.  An operation that allows / rejects all attempts to dock by (faction).  Shorthand of (ALL) and (NONE) would be nice, too.

B.  CostMult.  Would alter the buy / sell cost multiplier (after taking friendliness into account) of any given item.  So MutableStationStatsAPI CostMult("supplies", 0.5) would set the Station's cost multiplier for buying Supplies to 50%.

It'd be handy to have some shorthand available, as well; i.e., MutableStationStatsAPI CostMult(WEAPONS, 1.5), would set all weapon prices to 150% of base value.

C.  Defenders.  Defines the defending fleet type (via fleet API) if the option to attack is there.

D.  BattleScript.  When Campaign battles can be scripted ala Missions, this would associate a given Mission script with the Station, allowing for all sorts of fancy stuff.

E.  Hidden.  Whether this Station can be seen or not.  Right now, Stations may be created, but they apparently can't be destroyed nor hidden from view.  So the "hidden base" of the Pirates is anything but, etc.

F.  TradeConnections.  This would be a table, giving the Sector objects that Fleets that meet "trader" criteria are most likely to select to go to after visiting the Station. 

Personally, I think we're going to want to see trading fleets and patrols become less event-dependent objects and more like real entities that can visit places and then get a new destination, like the player does.  Right now, it's probably more complex to set this up than is desirable.

G.  PatrolPaths.  Much like TradeConnections, this would define patrol routes within a system, creating a much more realistic feeling to in-system traffic.

H.  VisibleOnMap:  Somewhat like Hidden, but only effects the strategic map.

I.  SightRadius:  how far away the Station can "see" and warn nearby fleets about your presence, if hostile.

J.  GreetingsDialogue:  Table. Would give different greetings.  This could become part of scripted missions really fast.

K.  RumorsDialogue:  Table.  Ditto.

L.  ExpectsItemFromPlayerFleet:  a trigger, for all of those fedex quests we'll be doing.  If blah is in inventory, then blahblah.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Customizable Stations
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 10:12:52 AM »

G.  PatrolPaths.  Much like TradeConnections, this would define patrol routes within a system, creating a much more realistic feeling to in-system traffic.

I would really like this in busy systems - regular commerce lanes that are well defended by patrols. One of my favorite parts of Oolite was ducking in and out of commerce lanes for targets/help against pirates.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
Re: Customizable Stations
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 01:24:08 AM »

Some great ideas here and really necessary to diversify the types of mods that could be created.