Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Not your Ordinary Multiplayer suggestion.  (Read 9766 times)

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
Re: Not your Ordinary Multiplayer suggestion.
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 11:34:19 AM »

Sure, there's nothing preventing you from doing so other than common courtesy. I think it should be obvious that there's ways to respond to frequently-asked questions while maintaining a friendly community. But I'd rather not take this thread too far off topic, so I'll leave it at that. Feel free to take it to PM if you like, though.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 11:49:17 AM »

I think it should be obvious that there's ways to respond to frequently-asked questions while maintaining a friendly community.

This.

Man i`m among those who sees how cool it would be to have multiplayer in this game. I would even love a split screen for hotseat, even with weird keys layout and beepeenig freezing keyboard. Anything that allows me to beat the *** out of my brother in Starcontrol-kind scirmishes!

Ah, dreams, dreams...

Ahh, that brings me back. Alas, a dream it shall remain.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 12:46:09 PM »

*sob*
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 01:19:45 PM »

...... the thing is yes if i said what everyonbe else says i would be annoyed, but i want to give a take on multiplayer that is very diffrent from others. Will anyone be actually be posting about my idea or are you all going to be asses about (mind my language but it is true).

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 01:27:53 PM »

Will anyone be actually be posting about my idea or are you all going to be asses about (mind my language but it is true).
What is left to discuss? You want a Dark Souls like multiplayer, so everyone who has played or heard of Dark Souls should know what you are talking about. Multiplayer for Starfarer is a "almost probably never" feature. And, to top it all off, Dark Souls was built around the multiplayer system. Adding something like that to a game like this isn't some trivial suggestion; it would probably double the production time of the game.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 03:18:00 AM »

Man i`m among those who sees how cool it would be to have multiplayer in this game. I would even love a split screen for hotseat, even with weird keys layout and beepeenig freezing keyboard. Anything that allows me to beat the *** out of my brother in Starcontrol-kind scirmishes!

Ah, dreams, dreams...

Alex just out of curiosity, how much $$ you would need to make some kind of multilayer?
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 03:20:14 AM »

I think it's more a matter of time than anything else...
mmm.... tartiflette

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2012, 03:43:36 AM »

I think it's more a matter of time than anything else...
And time is money :) that's why i ask :)
Creator of:

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2012, 01:40:09 PM »

Ah, dreams, dreams...

Alex just out of curiosity, how much $$ you would need to make some kind of multilayer?

To quote Schlock Mercenary, I'd be inclined to guess "Not for all the nickels in Jupiter"

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2012, 03:04:28 PM »

Well, with 1 mill i think we would have some kind of multilayer :) But unless The Man himself answer we can only guess  :D
Creator of:

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 10:07:59 AM »

I personally don't want alex to work on multiplayer, even if he had the money. IMO, there are more important aspects of the game that he could work on

Hardlyjoking67

• Captain
  • I'm a different kind of buddy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 07:57:18 PM »

I also don't think a lot of the game mechanics are designed to work with multiplayer. Think about when you pull up the command screen? what happens? everything stops and you can make your (sometimes) brilliant decisions. Just think of how just that would have to be regulated so that it would still work and wouldn't be really annoying/ exploited. So yeah, the nature of this game is to create an immersive experience, not a multiplayer one.

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2012, 05:43:32 AM »

I wanted to comment on this earlier but wasn't able to, so, apologies, but I'm bringing it back up :)

As I read this suggestion, this isn't actually multiplayer as it's typically defined, being more a social/crowdsourced content generator.  Please correct me if I'm wrong firstattak1, but my interpretation of the original post is that the fleets randomly coming into the sector would still be AI controlled.

This makes it very plausible.  So plausible in fact, that you could probably mod it in right now (though without checking, I suspect that the network classes and/or file read/write classes may be sensibly blocked to modders - if so, an external app could probably stand in for that, if people trusted it enough and there was a way to get the information into the game).

Even if it isn't the original suggestion, I think it's worth thinking about.  For those who have grown bored at defeating the fleets already flying around, this would let them face the fleets other real people have built and crafted, despite those people not being there to directly control them.  While the method of introducing the fleets is very similar to Dark Souls' invasions, I think the idea of sampling people's fleets over time and then using them against others is much closer to Gratuitous Space Battles and I think you should look again at this suggestion in that light, and re-evaluate whether you just want to write it off as "yet another multiplayer suggestion".
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 05:53:50 AM by Darloth »

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2012, 06:28:14 AM »

But it says multiplayer, we can't actually read it! That would be fair and courteous.

Personally, I think the fleet scooping idea sounds neat, especially for when the game is in it's semi-endless procedural state.

That's way down the road though, too far to bother discussing as players rather than designers.

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2012, 08:20:10 AM »

I wanted to comment on this earlier but wasn't able to, so, apologies, but I'm bringing it back up :)

As I read this suggestion, this isn't actually multiplayer as it's typically defined, being more a social/crowdsourced content generator.  Please correct me if I'm wrong firstattak1, but my interpretation of the original post is that the fleets randomly coming into the sector would still be AI controlled.

This makes it very plausible.  So plausible in fact, that you could probably mod it in right now (though without checking, I suspect that the network classes and/or file read/write classes may be sensibly blocked to modders - if so, an external app could probably stand in for that, if people trusted it enough and there was a way to get the information into the game).

Even if it isn't the original suggestion, I think it's worth thinking about.  For those who have grown bored at defeating the fleets already flying around, this would let them face the fleets other real people have built and crafted, despite those people not being there to directly control them.  While the method of introducing the fleets is very similar to Dark Souls' invasions, I think the idea of sampling people's fleets over time and then using them against others is much closer to Gratuitous Space Battles and I think you should look again at this suggestion in that light, and re-evaluate whether you just want to write it off as "yet another multiplayer suggestion".

It is possible right now, by putting the networking code into an external jar and adding it to Starfarer's classpath. I had the same idea after reading this thread, and made a proof-of-concept several weeks ago. I haven't got around to doing anything with it, yet. :(
Pages: 1 [2] 3