Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Not your Ordinary Multiplayer suggestion.  (Read 9762 times)

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
Not your Ordinary Multiplayer suggestion.
« on: August 27, 2012, 06:25:58 PM »

(sorry if this has been said and denied before but it was a cool idea and i felt like posting it)

So i dont want like a Matchmaking type of multiplayer, but how about a random one?
So there is game called dark souls, and they have a unique multiplayer. When you are in a state, you can be invaded by others online randomly. So why not do something like that, maybe if your playing online mode, randome fleets (named after what there charecter) will fly into the area, they are randomly hostile or nuetral and will go to the tri, or Hemongy base and then leaves, so its optional.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Not your Ordinary Multiplayer suggestion.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 07:38:41 PM »

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 07:58:14 PM »

Btw if this is not wanted or implemented it's fine but I just wanted to see if Alex or anyone else would like the idea or if anyone would colararate, and if Alex never sees this I want atleast thoughts on the idea.

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 08:02:04 PM »

It's already stated before that multiplayer will probably not be implemented into the game. Might need an example for clarification since I'm a bit confused.

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 08:13:03 PM »

I have see the post about there not being multiplayer, and I respect his choice.

So, when your online, your fleet is streamed to other online players and it becomes like a random fleet. This option could then be turned on and off. Pretty much is like player vs AI but the AI has an online players fleet.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 10:44:23 PM »

What happened to that thread with all the previously suggested things? Did that happen or what?

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 10:53:10 PM »

It shouldn't be needed, really. The FAQ clearly states that there never will be any multiplayer. I'm getting stick of all these threads. There are 15 of them now. Perhaps people needed to learn to use the damn search function.

zanar9786

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 12:55:33 AM »

Speaking of that, the search function could be improved greatly its rather annoying atm to try and search something. Personally i would make a separate game pretty much, so they wouldn't be integrated same game but different clients and everything.
Hound=Troll machine

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 03:56:53 AM »

Man i`m among those who sees how cool it would be to have multiplayer in this game. I would even love a split screen for hotseat, even with weird keys layout and beepeenig freezing keyboard. Anything that allows me to beat the *** out of my brother in Starcontrol-kind scirmishes!

Ah, dreams, dreams...

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 05:53:49 AM »

.....as I said, I know what Alex said, I know he doesn't want multiplayer, I'm just saying this is a simple idea, if he ever wants to think about it, I'm not saying that this needs to be added......SO DON'T RAGE ON ME!

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 06:23:30 AM »

If people really want MP in Starfarer, make a Starfarer game mode in Garry's mod. Should work
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 06:48:59 AM »

That sounds cool :D the garry mod that is.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 10:57:32 AM »

Man i`m among those who sees how cool it would be to have multiplayer in this game. I would even love a split screen for hotseat, even with weird keys layout and beepeenig freezing keyboard. Anything that allows me to beat the *** out of my brother in Starcontrol-kind scirmishes!

Ah, dreams, dreams...
Same here. My bro is in college and we VS one another online all the time. Multiplayer would just be.. amazing....
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 11:18:10 AM »

Sure, this has come up before, and Alex has decided against it for the foreseeable future for very practical reasons. But there's still no reason for posts like:
It shouldn't be needed, really. The FAQ clearly states that there never will be any multiplayer. I'm getting stick of all these threads. There are 15 of them now. Perhaps people needed to learn to use the damn search function.

If you're sick of it, it's perfectly fine to not post in the thread: nothing's obligating you to do so. I found the Starfarer community to be very welcoming and productive when I first visited, but posts like these in an increasing number of suggestion threads just have me shaking my head and feeling less and less inclined to continue visiting.

And to address the OP, Alex has ruled out multiplayer for two major reasons: gearing the game for multiplayer would skew his vision of Starfarer, and the network code would take a tremendous amount of time to get right, time that he would rather invest in developing the single player campaign.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 11:19:45 AM by MidnightSun »

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 11:28:46 AM »

Fine, but there's nothing preventing me from posting in these threads. Sure, i may not welcome every suggestion with open arms, but if it has been suggested 15 times, does it not get redundant? To have the very same suggestion (or variations of it) posted 15 times? It clutters up the suggestion board, and wastes time, since the FAQ (which, mind you, is on the front page, where you BUY the game) states that he won't do it. Yet people have posted 15 threads about it.

Pattern?
Pages: [1] 2 3