Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Another thread about carriers, no cakes here, the cake is a lie  (Read 5789 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Another thread about carriers, no cakes here, the cake is a lie
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 06:47:22 PM »

On the balance issues: if Fighter Wings had an explicit, moddable value for Supply use per fighter repaired / rebuilt, it'd be cool.

That said, I think there's something to be said for perma-loss of fighters; it keeps players from simply having only one type in their fleet.  However, once Factories are in the game, I'm thinking it's going to be impossible to keep players from going this route if they choose, and then it just comes down to their costs.

I'd be in favor of having special Wings that had heroes attached to them, that you could keep alive and rebuild, but regular wings should remain disposable.  If we can build wings, then they need a continuing cost in Supplies and they should have Crew requirements of, say, 5X their pilot complement (IRL, keeping a fighter squadron operational requires a lot of people and equipment and spares).  I'd also like to see a specific type of Crew that is a fighter pilot only, with bonuses vs. regular Crew but additional hiring / wage costs.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

pigreko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 09:19:30 PM »

BTW you're relatively new (i think) so welcome to the forums!  ;D

It depends, I'm here from around when the first beta  (EDIT: wait this still alpha right?) was released, which I bought after the WTF of TB.
I0ve seen this game flourishing, and I've actively played every release until the there were nothing more to do.

Fighters are useful, I've not said they are not. They are simply less useful than anything else  you can buy\deploy with the same money\ordinance points. You can still use them tactically in some situations, but then 2 onslaughts or 2 paragons are always better then 4 xyphos, a lot better, so much better it hurts.

They are balanced, their power is ok, it is their supply cost to being not balanced. Therefore something is missing, the benefit from fielding them instead of anything else is missing, the "thing" that let you actively use them for what they are: the first line combatant of any space battle.
In the lore, fighters are the bane to the old epoch ships, the revolution of the modern warfare. But old epoch ships are actually pretty much a pain for many wings, and the onslaught has the best anti fighter outfit possible. Supply per supply they are inferior to anything.

Lets be honest, fighters are expected to die a lot in any confrontation. They are like cannon fodder, distractions, scarcely pursuers and finishers. Even in overwhelming victories, the random missile barrage of a buffalo could kill your unsuspecting XXXX wing.

Truth be told, lowering the supply cap could let you deploy too many wings, and simply win the battle by overwhelming any target in few seconds. That would ruin the game.
In the end all comes to some twisting feature to be given to fighters\carriers which allow them to be a viable option, and actually pay for themself.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 11:04:31 PM by pigreko »

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 10:31:03 PM »

Soooo? You are from the future?

Im kidding, im kidding. I know what you meant.

pigreko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 11:02:49 PM »

you silly guy!

I nearly missed your little tiny cute words.
But you are right!

Vulpes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 12:01:06 PM »

There's already a slight repair chance for fighters.  If this doesn't happen already I'd say give all disabled fighter wings a 100% chance of repair after battle (if owned by the player)... they are almost always destroyed anyway.
Pages: 1 [2]