Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Repair ships  (Read 3244 times)

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Repair ships
« on: November 10, 2011, 01:10:49 PM »

There should be ships that can repair other ships...they will have low armor and speed but can repair the ships(not the fighters unless you say otherwise). Make it so it can also fix the allied and your neutralized ships(the process will take long). This may give ships a second chance to redeem themselves.

CommComms

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Repair ships
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 07:10:16 PM »

Alex has mentioned that something along those lines is planned at some point. 

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 09:20:53 AM »

oh :)

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 10:43:31 PM »

There's also ammunition ships for the tactical stage as well. I so hope to make a missile heavy fleet I've always wanted to unleash a coordinated macross missile massacre.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

TheTank

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 05:35:02 AM »

Or why not just allow ships to repair themselves? In SFC you could pack repair kits and they could be used to repair certain parts of the ship.
Though in SFC you could target certain areas for your weapons/marines to destroy.
Naturally the resources were limited and thus you would equally run out of repair kits sooner or later, but you did have certain tactical possibilities.

Also, it could be possible to repair some number, say 10% of your ship, without resources. This could represent some jerry-rigging from Scotty/McGuyver. Just enough to bring some systems back online, but the next critical will break it permanently.

@Flare:
I used to do similar in SFC as well. When timed correctly at the right speed, you could have two waves of drones on top of each other. Then you move all energy towards forward shields and overloaded torpedoes and your little Miranda class could take out a Klingon dreadnought. :D

The AI should recognize that tactic and run-baby-run, whiles dropping mines (a good addition for SF btw).

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 03:33:12 PM »

In these games, it's hard to combine missiles in the strategic sense and tactical sense as the weapons don't really care for either. Take aurora for example, missiles are long ranged weapons, and rightfully so! Although if Starfarer's encounters are to be taken into account in Aurora's context, I guess the missiles and torpedoes used are really just missiles with large ass warheads, little fuel, and to be used at knife range if the fleet survives the strategic bombardment as they close in. Which sounds intriguing. I'm going to make a knife range missile for Aurora and see if I can one shot those pesky NPR's ships.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"