Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Fantasy Farer (archived, early development thread)  (Read 26076 times)

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
Re: What on earth...
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2012, 09:11:49 AM »

If a footman gets hit by a sword, he very rarely actually gets damaged. Any idea why? Do I have to increase the collision circle?

I've mounted the swords on a Medusa and attacked a Buffalo. The swords work brilliantly there, hitting every time.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2012, 09:36:48 AM »

If a footman gets hit by a sword, he very rarely actually gets damaged. Any idea why? Do I have to increase the collision circle?

As I expected.Because energy weapons rely on a flux build-up, and I disabled flux for the footmen, the damage output was minimum, almost non-existant. It has been fixed.

Melee weapons use (physical) energy. Missile weapons low crossbows use ammo. Magic spells also use energy.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 09:38:26 AM by Erick Doe »

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2012, 09:45:38 AM »

As I expected.Because energy weapons rely on a flux build-up, and I disabled flux for the footmen, the damage output was minimum, almost non-existant. It has been fixed.

Melee weapons use (physical) energy. Missile weapons low crossbows use ammo. Magic spells also use energy.

also, the hitbox is tiny, maybe make the heros a bit bigger, as well, pull a image of grass and use it as a background instead of green fog

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 09:48:16 AM »

also, the hitbox is tiny, maybe make the heros a bit bigger, as well, pull a image of grass and use it as a background instead of green fog

Bigger heroes and creatures will be added eventually. Anyway, I fixed the damage issue by introducing flux.  ;)

As for the backgrounds, I'll draw up a few myself. I'll add patches of grass and dirt. Perhaps some ruins.

Thanks for the feedback Sunfire.

Furthermore,

Forests will be nebulae

Haven't decided on asteroids yet. Can we make asteroids stationary (not drift) ? If so, I'll turn them into small buildings.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 09:50:16 AM by Erick Doe »

Sunfire

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 10:02:25 AM »

Bigger heroes and creatures will be added eventually. Anyway, I fixed the damage issue by introducing flux.  ;)

As for the backgrounds, I'll draw up a few myself. I'll add patches of grass and dirt. Perhaps some ruins.

Thanks for the feedback Sunfire.

Furthermore,

Forests will be nebulae

Haven't decided on asteroids yet. Can we make asteroids stationary (not drift) ? If so, I'll turn them into small buildings.

flux could be like stamina, thus a larger sword (like a two handed sword) would use up more flux and deal more damage, or something like that

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2012, 10:56:10 AM »

Experimenting with backgrounds, tweaking weapons and balance. Swords work properly now. Try it:

DOWNLOAD

I already have an idea on how I want to implement backgrounds. Minimal detail, since they're static. Lots of "forests" (nebulae) and "roaming beasts" (asteroids).

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2012, 01:37:42 AM »

Yeah, I should be asleep, but hell I'm trying this.

It's totally adorable, but wouldn't it be better if they were facing forward? It's so awkward flying in reverse.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2012, 05:28:29 AM »

Yes, I'll change that now.

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2012, 06:52:57 AM »

So since this has a working demo now would this no longer be considered simply sprites/ideas but a working mod?
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2012, 07:01:06 AM »

I suppose so, Doom. No rush though.  :)

Well, I just added trees instead of nebulae and... works perfectly and looks great.  ;)

Also did as you guys suggested and turned the troops 180 degrees. So, weapons now face forward.

Oh, I had removed things like stars flying by. But that made things feel empty so... I replaced one of those graphics for a leaf. Now you see leafs flying by in the wind.

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2012, 07:35:58 AM »

alright it was just a thought, also the leaf sounds like a nice detail.

just curious how well can you see through the trees? do your units sit on top of them, like ships sit on top of nebulae? i presume that they do since that's probably harder to change than just the graphics.
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2012, 07:47:59 AM »

alright it was just a thought, also the leaf sounds like a nice detail.

just curious how well can you see through the trees? do your units sit on top of them, like ships sit on top of nebulae? i presume that they do since that's probably harder to change than just the graphics.

Forests are made up of clusters of different tree graphics. The ones on the outer edges are faded, so the forests look thin around the borders and thick down the center. Troops will be visible ontop of the trees, and will slow down just like they do in a nebula.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2012, 08:53:03 AM »

Not too many changes in this demo. But you'll get to see the forests. Also, units now face the right way, making combat work better:

DOWLOAD

Enjoy!

Oh yes, forests will eventually get more detail.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2012, 08:59:25 AM »

Gotta love exploding swordsmen.

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2012, 09:03:41 AM »

Gotta love exploding swordsmen.

That too will be fixed... somewhat. I will change the sounds around. If something dies it will make either a scream or a splattering sound. Not a KA-BOOM!

Also will change the damage graphics to resemble wounds. Oh, and debris will look like bits of armour falling off, accompanied by blood.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 09:06:42 AM by Erick Doe »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6