Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Phase ships  (Read 2422 times)

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
Phase ships
« on: August 22, 2012, 08:47:33 AM »

It looks like no ones really uses the phase ships often enough, like as a capital ship. So I want to know, does anyone uses these shiPs as there capital. I use th Doom class.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Phase ships
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 09:01:10 AM »

I keep a few Shades around, they serve as great support ships. But i dont like the doom as a PC ship. Im using the Falcon, brilliant ship that.

DM818

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 09:08:23 AM »

In a large late game fleet I will usually have a doom for support but my capital ship will be a paragon or odessey.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 09:36:26 AM »

I just don't see how Doom could be viable even without considering it's ridiculous 20 FP price tag. The way cloak vs shield comparison works out, cloaks can only be useful for small and very fast ships, because:

- Cloak loses badly against smaller opponents since *anything* can threaten cloaking ship, while shielded one could handle minor threats for a much lower flux cost.
- Cloaking ship is dead as soon as it got anything faster than itself on tail. For 75 speed cruiser that includes all frigates, most destroyers and anything larger that has maneuvering jets or burn drive. List of ships that can't easily suppress Doom would have been shorter...

DM818

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 09:44:38 AM »

I just don't see how Doom could be viable even without considering it's ridiculous 20 FP price tag. The way cloak vs shield comparison works out, cloaks can only be useful for small and very fast ships, because:

- Cloak loses badly against smaller opponents since *anything* can threaten cloaking ship, while shielded one could handle minor threats for a much lower flux cost.
- Cloaking ship is dead as soon as it got anything faster than itself on tail. For 75 speed cruiser that includes all frigates, most destroyers and anything larger that has maneuvering jets or burn drive. List of ships that can't easily suppress Doom would have been shorter...

Not to mention that any capital ship will overpower it regardless of any of the above factors (not including atlas or astral as cap ships)

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »

Well what I use is more of a tank, I put on heavy armor and armored turrets. Also I use phase to doge missiles as when you have missiles vs sheilds and your at high flux....ya it doesn't work out. That's my opinion but I agree with you guys, phase ships in my opinion should be buffed a little, as how expensive and you would think phase tech would be better, especially with the tri-tacion people on the job.

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 11:19:14 AM »

Another issue with phase ships is that while the cloak is great for dodging missiles, it doesn't get rid of them: not a problem with rockets/torpedoes, but the inability to get rid of harpoons and salamanders is a major issue. That isn't too bad of a con for small ships like the Shade, but when you need to dodge missiles with the Doom, it's no fun: you often have to generate more flux while phased than you otherwise would by absorbing the missiles with a shield-equipped ship.

An easy way to take incoming missiles that your point defense won't be able to handle, with a shielded ship, is to just hold fire for a second or two shortly before the missiles hit, passively venting flux to create a "flux buffer." Then, raise shields right before the missiles impact to absorb them.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 11:21:18 AM by MidnightSun »