Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Multi-branch ship conversion [Modding Req]  (Read 3363 times)

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
Multi-branch ship conversion [Modding Req]
« on: August 21, 2012, 04:07:07 PM »

After finding out about the 'convert' button (currently disabled) on the likes of the buffalo or tarsus, I was wondering hoping would be able to do the following things:

1) have a ship that can be upgraded along two or more paths (ie, ship A can be turned into either ship B or ship C)
2) have a ship that can be upgraded into two ships are once (ie, where one part of the ship A gets used for ship B and the rest is used for ship C)

[edited the title to convey that I'm just asking for modding/engine support for this]
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 05:39:05 PM by Avan »

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-branch ship conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 04:29:38 PM »

Nothing quite like turning a Hyperion in to an Onslaught or taking a Buffalo MKII and turning it in to a Conquest...

For real though, it doesn't make much sense to me.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 05:14:08 PM »

err, I'm not sure you get it; I mean conversions such as buffalo to buffalo ii, or tarsus to condore; lorewise the latter of each pair is a direct derivative of the former. they even look visually similar; you can see how they were converted. these are not arbitrary conversions

Tarkets

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 05:35:44 PM »

Yeah he's saying like, you have a buffalo and have the option to convert it to a buffalo mk2, or a hypothetical, ah, "beefalo" model that was a buffalo with extended cargo capacity and no weapons. Not a sort of pokemon evolution thing

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-branch ship conversion [Modding Req]
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 07:24:04 PM »

Hmm... I think we could do this right now? Its possible for a script to test for the presence of certain ships in the players fleet - remove the ship and add a new one. Or it could be done at a station. Tie that to the mechanic of bought objects triggering scripts and voilĂ ?

Gabriel_Braun

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 07:29:49 PM »

Bah I'm still learning and there's probably an easier way but lack of sleep = brain is goo so how about this:

Create a mod package that does the following:

Define a new faction called "CSEW" (or whatever, just thought 'Corvus Stellar Engineering Works' sounded cool) that has friendly standing to the  player.faction

Define a hull and variant called "CSEW-0" using only a single pixel sprite
Define an inventory itemtype called "Invoice - Hull Refit - Hulk -> Hulk MK2 - Pending" with a value of what you want to pay
Define an inventory itemtype called "Invoice - Hull Refit - Hulk -> Hulk MK2 - In Progress" with a value of 0

Then using sectorgen:
Spawn an orbital station orbiting the star (or wherever) called "CSEW Admin Office" owned by the CSEW faction
Spawn another station called "CSEW Mooring Depot" that orbits nearby that is like the abandoned storage facility

Configure a resupply fleet using just CSEW-0 whose resupply call checks the Admin office has the 'Pending' invoice available and if not will restock 1 unit.

Verrius' Fleet control mod has the relevant code and I'm sure he would be able to explain what I'm going to describe here:
FCM Polls the contents of the storage hanger and sorts out appropriate addition/removal of items based on those results

IF there is a call that checks the Mooring depot for a 'Pending' invoice and obviously the ship to be upgraded (in this case the hulk) and if both are present will remove them both and add the upgraded hull type to stock ready to be picked up.

PLEASE tell me that made sense? :D

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 08:03:42 PM »

I was just hoping to be able to make use of the intended conversion interface, as opposed to hacking around it with scripts (which would likely be more complex and irritatingly gimmicky than having it directly supported anyways).

Gabriel_Braun

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 08:16:09 PM »

Well I'm sure that the button can be made to run a script like the one Thaago suggested but you might have to wait until Alex comes to the rescue on that one as I haven't a clue what it would be calling for (if indeed it's not just a GUI element with no function in this build...
You could PM him I suppose and ask but he appears like the wind on these forums anyway lol

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 08:23:51 PM »

Nope! But it sure as hell was fun to read! *stuffs popcorn into mouth*
*chewing* Invoices! I like that part!
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 08:36:23 PM »

The button doesn't do anything in this build from what I can tell; its just a placeholder UI element.

Gabriel_Braun

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 01:10:45 AM »

Nope! But it sure as hell was fun to read! *stuffs popcorn into mouth*
*chewing* Invoices! I like that part!

If you enjoyed reading that Gun then have a look what it kinda snowballed into...

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=4080.0