Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: The buffalo challenge  (Read 3079 times)

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
The buffalo challenge
« on: August 20, 2012, 08:46:01 PM »

Using only a stock buffalo hull (not the buffalo II, I mean the blue and white freighter), can you defeat the stock buffalo II? (Hint; use the devmode 'edit variant' capability)

Bonus points if you can do it with a 100% stock variant.

Extra bonus points if you can defeat a proper combat ship of destroyer size or larger ;)

I know its not a combat ship, but its fun to push its exceedingly tiny limits as far as they can go with clever use of its 20 OP and single small energy slot combined with clever piloting and exploiting the AI.

I've only managed it three times, very unreliably, once with the stock AM blaster (this took... a lot of tries), and twice with my cascade disruptor (and again, this took a lot of tries, not quite as many though). I actually got pretty close using the stock ion cannon a couple times, but never managed to finish it off...    :(

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: The buffalo challenge
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 08:48:26 PM »

You've created a monster of a challenge D:

Kix

• Ensign
  • i will become god
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 08:50:39 PM »

i dont think buffalo 2 is enough of a challenge at the lack of a shield generator, which the blue and white buffalo does have (if im not mistaken)

combat ship of destroyer class or greater is going to be insane tho... time to aquire myself a buffalo...
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 08:52:17 PM »

Well... You have one small energy slot. Using the stock buffalo its practically impossible as the AM blaster is an instant overload... Then your basically dead.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 08:55:59 PM »

You'd be surprised... One small energy slot, 20 OP, and abysmal flux stats mean that your shield advantage can in fact be a major liability. I found myself overloading a lot when I failed to drop my shields in time. Also the buffalo II's AM blaster hurts. A lot. Either it will overload you or it will burn up your armor and fry your hull.

It is possible to use the AM blaster; the stock buffalo has enough flux reserves to fire off one shot. (the slow reload rate of the AM blaster means that if you invest in enough flux vents, you can passively vent enough to fire again if you drop your shields, or attempt a risky full on vent)

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 08:58:11 PM »

Maybe I should try it with 100% damage off :/

Kix

• Ensign
  • i will become god
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 09:12:44 PM »

well, i did it. i'll admit i seriously thought i was never going to be able to do it at first, lol.

i've been completely mistaken about the buffalo, thought its maneuverability was only as bad as the buffalo 2, turns out i was wrong. i was also wrong about the shield being of any help to me.

edit-
Spoiler
[close]

double edit- i just did it again with full dmg, tho this time when i blew him up his explosion took me with him...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 09:17:05 PM by Kix »

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 09:17:59 PM »

;) That was surprisingly fast - I must congratulate you on your skills! (Was that with 100% hull damage on btw?)

*Wonders of Qloos could have done that on his first try...*

Kix

• Ensign
  • i will become god
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 09:21:53 PM »

haha, it wassent my first try. i first went in with AM and aux jets. got blown to bits. which was followed by a series of getting blown to bits and then success.

i did on full dmg but i got caught in his explosion and died right as he did, lol.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 09:46:38 PM »

Wow that was a hard challenge! I managed it with a tactical laser, 9 vents, 6 caps (got it 2 times in a row after about 10 attempts of different stuff :P)

The only way I could win was by maintaining the no flux speed bonus the entire time - pick a vector that had no nebulae and few asteroirds, do just a bit of course correcting strafe once if backs off. A key for me was venting after shielding the missiles and staring at the range bars to see when the AM blaster would wreck me.