Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: volume-control causing crash  (Read 86 times)

Ranek Eisenkralle

• Ensign
    • View Profile
volume-control causing crash
« on: April 14, 2024, 02:41:11 AM »

Hi folks.
My problem is presumably a bit of an unanticipated edge-case.
I am using a Logitech G510 keyboard with built-in volume control and am running the game under Linux Mint.
In any other application this volume control works just as it is supposed to, but when I accidentally touch that volume-dial while playing Starsector, i end up on ablack screen, followed after a few moments by the Linux Mint login-screen as if I had just started my PC. Any and all programs and applications I had running are gone and I have to start over from scratch. And with Starsector not having an autosave functionality, i don't think i need to go into detail what that means, right?

Any of you know how i can get that volume dial to work as intended - or at the very least keep Starsector from basically crashing my PC?

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: volume-control causing crash
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2024, 07:29:58 AM »

It seems you got crash of the whole user session due to some error. Can you disable starsector sound/music completely in launcher and check if crashing still occurs then volume control is pressed? Crashing of the whole session is very rare and usually hardware related. My keyboard special keys work differently in starsector - for example keyboard wheel not work as mouse wheel but just turns firing arcs on/off. This all happens due to out of spec key codes used for additional buttons/wheels on keyboards and without special driver to translate them ( which is absent in java ) they wont work the same as in desktop environment.

Ranek Eisenkralle

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: volume-control causing crash
« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:12:18 PM »

At last got around to trying it. As it turns out deactivating sound in the launcher didn't crash my user session, but still some weirdness happened: by screens both started to flicker as if switching from one input source to another rapidly, but I kept getting a black screen and that's it. After a couple seconds i got kicked back to desktop, but the game didn't crash, so I could alt-tab back into it.

playing without sound is not exactly desirable though. any other ideas?

Edit: Perhaps i should add that the PC is by now around 12 years or so old, so hardware out of spec isn't exactly a surprise. but alas, back in the day I built this thing to have a system I would not need to put money into for a good long while - and aside from a couple power supplies and a set of RAM, that did indeed work out as intended.
« Last Edit: Today at 01:14:58 PM by Ranek Eisenkralle »