Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

What would you like to see in Blackrock?

More ships
- 755 (23.7%)
More weapons
- 481 (15.1%)
More campaign features
- 478 (15%)
Space monsters
- 705 (22.1%)
More lore
- 207 (6.5%)
More music
- 131 (4.1%)
More portraits
- 157 (4.9%)
Subfactions
- 277 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 1425

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 209

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Blackrock Drive Yards  (Read 1790650 times)

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
Re: Blackrock Drive Yards - v0.30
« Reply #300 on: March 07, 2013, 10:03:06 AM »

The new Sachumodo. Still a work in progress, both sprite and ship, but... this is pretty much the final shape.

The Robberfly-class Corvette, a 3fp frigate without a shield, fast and with a highly efficient flare launcher.
i got I have mixed feelings about this
i like your ships designs & the whole mod it self
but there is something that disturb's  me in this ship, somehow it don't fit to the rest of the ships, i dunno maybe its just me
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

conorano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 07, 2013, 10:19:18 AM »

i quite like the sachumodo, only i feel a heavy weapon slot or a built-in is missing... is this a cruiser?

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 07, 2013, 01:05:59 PM »

The new Sachumodo. Still a work in progress, both sprite and ship, but... this is pretty much the final shape.

The Robberfly-class Corvette, a 3fp frigate without a shield, fast and with a highly efficient flare launcher.
i got I have mixed feelings about this
i like your ships designs & the whole mod it self
but there is something that disturb's  me in this ship, somehow it don't fit to the rest of the ships, i dunno maybe its just me

I think the difference is that the Sachumodo is a lot wider than the rest of this mod's ships, though it doesn't really bother me all that much. As for the robberfly class, I like it.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 07, 2013, 01:23:22 PM »

i quite like the sachumodo, only i feel a heavy weapon slot or a built-in is missing... is this a cruiser?

It will have a built-in weapon. It also has four large weapon slots.

conorano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 07, 2013, 01:25:49 PM »

It does? Aah now i see it. I thought those were mediums ;D

Alfalfa

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 07, 2013, 03:00:11 PM »

Thanks for the appreciation Shadowy! Regarding the Kurma's system, I am of the opinion that there currently isn't anything wrong with it. However I'm talking to LazyWizard about a possible redesign.

Oh, I've grown quite fond of the Kurmaraja, that's why I was experimenting with it.  The system I made introduces some interesting behaviours, though.  It's about as effective as the original against projectiles, although heavy projectiles such as Hellbore rounds are difficult to deflect.  Faster missiles such as Sabots and Harpoons can power through it, Pilums are just barely stopped, and it's very amusing watching an Onslaught overload itself by throwing its swarm of Annihilator missiles back in its teeth.  The effects on fighters are significant as well, with bombers being held mostly at bay and others suffering from reduced agility.

If you have the time you should play around with it a bit; for inspiration, if nothing else.

HeliosRX

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 07, 2013, 04:39:56 PM »

First off I'm really happy that you've played and enjoyed my mod for so long. ;D

Well, the arcjet burner remains - the Gonodactylus is using it. The reason for this is the same as why Enforcers, Onslaughts etc. have Burn Drive and not Tempests - a slow, predictable ship suddenly becoming fast and unpredictable is more fun to play as and against than a fast ship that becomes even faster and thus impossible to avoid. That said, you can assume that the Arc Jet Thrusters for the Desdinova still work in a similar way lore-wise - the ship is built around the engines, after all. If you want a Desdinova with Arcjet Burners, all you have to do is change some stuff in the spreadsheets. ;0 I'd still say the Desdinova is quite far from regular, though - if you want to be a speed monster, you can spec your character accordingly and it is the fastest overall destroyer in the game.

I took out the coasting on the burst jets (it was quite an ordeal to accomplish, given how thrust works in the game) because it's kind of silly to deploy a cruiser first and just bully every single enemy frigate far out of being able to cap any nodes. There needs to be tradeoffs, unfortunately, for things to have balance, but nobody is stopping you from modding my mod to your own tastes. The feature was never intended in the first place, and I didn't realize what people were talking about in the thread until I accidentally discovered it on my own.

Thanks for the explanation, I believe I understand the background of the issue and the justification for the fix now. I personally loved running around in a superfast destroyer that required some decent trajectory planning to use properly, but I understand how detrimental that can be to game balance.

That said, I have nearly no experience with modifying the necessary files. Can you please tell me what I need to edit in order to remove the max speed clamp?

Thanks!

Shield

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 07, 2013, 04:42:32 PM »

Thanks for the appreciation Shadowy! Regarding the Kurma's system, I am of the opinion that there currently isn't anything wrong with it. However I'm talking to LazyWizard about a possible redesign.

Oh, I've grown quite fond of the Kurmaraja, that's why I was experimenting with it.  The system I made introduces some interesting behaviours, though.  It's about as effective as the original against projectiles, although heavy projectiles such as Hellbore rounds are difficult to deflect.  Faster missiles such as Sabots and Harpoons can power through it, Pilums are just barely stopped, and it's very amusing watching an Onslaught overload itself by throwing its swarm of Annihilator missiles back in its teeth.  The effects on fighters are significant as well, with bombers being held mostly at bay and others suffering from reduced agility.

If you have the time you should play around with it a bit; for inspiration, if nothing else.

Is there anyway of increasing the strength of the field?

SainnQ

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 07, 2013, 07:32:22 PM »

Is the Sachumodo a Capital by any chance? And if so is there any particular ETA?

banehunter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 07, 2013, 07:37:25 PM »

Is the Sachumodo a Capital by any chance? And if so is there any particular ETA?

Indeed good sir, if I can draw your attention to the 4 large ballistic points I think you will understand your sillyness. Oh btw is this in the newest build of Uomoz's Corvus 17.1?

SainnQ

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 07, 2013, 08:01:37 PM »

Indeed good sir, if I can draw your attention to the 4 large ballistic points I think you will understand your sillyness. Oh btw is this in the newest build of Uomoz's Corvus 17.1?

Spare me! I haven't been playing long enough to be able to recognize turret sizes at a glance.  :P

banehunter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 07, 2013, 08:15:05 PM »

It will have a built-in weapon. It also has four large weapon slots.
:P

Alfalfa

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: March 07, 2013, 09:28:29 PM »

Is there anyway of increasing the strength of the field?

Yes, with the current settings changing the constant INVERSE_GRAVITY will alter the field strength.

For reference, an explanation on the constants:

private static float FIELD_RANGE = 1000f;
This sets at what range the field will begin to have an effect on objects.  Depending on the other settings, the effect is likely to be negligible at this distance.

private static float FIELD_STRENGTH = 0.00000005f;
    private static float FIELD_STRENGTH_CONSTANT = 6f;
    private static float FIELD_STRENGTH_SQUARED = 3f;
These are the original field strength constants and ones for previous implementations I made.  They are all unused in this iteration.

private static boolean MUTUAL_GRAVITY = false;
This determines whether the Kurmaraja is affected by the gravitational forces it generates.  If so, the force is split depending on the respective masses of the Kurmaraja and what it is affecting.  Produces some odd results due to the disproportionate mass of projectiles to ships (missile surfing is quite entertaining ;)) and the implementation of engine thrust (which negates the force entirely).

private static boolean GRAVITY_PROPORTIONAL_TO_MASS = false;
This determines whether the field operates as a direct reversal of normal gravity (where greater masses generate greater forces) or whether the force is inversely proportional to the objects mass.  Given the original function of the field I have it set to the inverse so it is more effective against projectiles and less so against ships.

private static float PROPORTIONAL_GRAVITY = 0.1f;
    private static float INVERSE_GRAVITY = 10000f;
These are the field strengths of the proportional to mass and inversely proportional implementations, respectively, and are what you were looking for.

private static float DISTANCE_WEIGHT = 1f;
This is simply a constant to scale the effect of distance to your taste.

I'm not trying to foist this off on anyone, by the way.  I simply found the idea of the system intriguing, wanted to test the limits of what could be done with it, and was pleased enough with the result that I wanted to share it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:50:18 PM by Alfalfa »

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 08, 2013, 10:41:58 AM »

Begin gratuitously evil and pulpy teaser:

"How are we going to find crewmen that are willing to serve aboard this thing? You're talking unavoidable gamma ray exposure, ambient lacerations to DNA... I'd put crew life expectancy around two months at most. Not even Deadbloods are going to want to climb into the airlocks on this... this vessel. You cancelled the job yourself, first time around, Sir - although, I don't mean to imply-"

Roland Augustmoon leaned forward in his chair, aged synthetic wood creaking in protest. His eyes met the Chief Designer's, who had to blink. The twin pinlights, those orbs - too *small* for their sockets, their attention always accompanied with a hypersonic keening. Familiarity didn't make it easier to deal with.

The model hovered over the table surface in an exploded view - pieces fitting together perfectly, joined by the metaphasic flux conduits that streamed out from the generator and filled the entire vessel. A spaceship, he knew, that would inevitably poison the life out of its crew.

Augustmoon's finger tapped the desktop as he spoke. "We don't deal in moral absolutes here at Blackrock, chief designer. Are you suggesting that there is some sort of tradeoff here that... we shouldn't be prepared to make?"

"N-no, Sir. I'm just saying that it will be an enormous resource drain on any fleet willing to accept the obvious risks. Why would we want to strain our lines of production with a new blueprint, when we already have the base model in steady production, with combat protocols already trialed in live combat, the Sector already spreading rumors-"

"The Nevermore guarantees nothing. Only this can guarantee that capital ships become a liability in the Sector. This is everyone's loss, and everyone's gain, Mr. Wondermere. This proves that we are through with being intimidated. It will be like a sword hanging over their heads, tied by a thin string, ready to snap."

"What do you mean, Sir?"

If Roland Augustmoon still had eyelids, he would have squinted. "An ancient idiom. You understand what I'm implying."

The Chief Designer nodded quickly, and gathered his papers with both arms.

"I will notify the committee, then... and call a meeting in two hours," he said.

He could feel Augustmoon's gaze creeping up the nape of his neck as he waited for the doors to slide open.

"Like a sword hanging over all our heads," he thought, exhaling in relief as he stepped outside into the dry air.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 03:37:45 PM by Cycerin »

conorano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 08, 2013, 10:51:04 AM »

this one looks much more.. fat XD i do like it though, but it needs to be durable.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 209