Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

What would you like to see in Blackrock?

More ships
- 755 (23.7%)
More weapons
- 481 (15.1%)
More campaign features
- 478 (15%)
Space monsters
- 705 (22.1%)
More lore
- 207 (6.5%)
More music
- 131 (4.1%)
More portraits
- 157 (4.9%)
Subfactions
- 277 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 1425

Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 209

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Blackrock Drive Yards  (Read 1790786 times)

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8.1a] Blackrock Drive Yards v0.9.0 (07.06.2017)
« Reply #2700 on: June 14, 2017, 09:01:00 AM »

Sorry for not replying in detail here, I read everything though!

The Hawkmoth is a middling cruiser (think Venture), and its combat performance should not be compared to destroyers. Cruisers should almost always outmuscle destroyers pound-for-pound, but the Hawkmoth is still easy to take down given a destroyer that uses strike weapons. That said, I think its fuel capacity might be high given its combat performance (plus I keep underestimating just how good beefiness is post 0.8...) so I am going to take a closer look at that. I would rather downgrade its logistical impact than make it weaker, since there is a pretty delicate balance there - either you are too wary of risking an important logistical asset on the frontline, or it's a combat ship that happens to have a bunch of benefits attached to it for no real tradeoff. I have some good adjustments in mind.

Re: Kraits, they're taking a hit, and I'm doing a pass of all the fighters currently.

Re: Ship selection, I have not noticed anything abnormal with the Mantis myself, but markets can be fickle and you will see widely varying results from market to market or run to run sometimes.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 09:03:17 AM by Cycerin »

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: June 14, 2017, 10:25:36 AM »

Re: Ship selection, I have not noticed anything abnormal with the Mantis myself, but markets can be fickle and you will see widely varying results from market to market or run to run sometimes.
I dunno, it feels in every game (I've started multiple in the last few days), both the Mantis and the Zabrus are extremely rare. In roughly 20 hours of gameplay I've seen a grand total of 2 Mantises for sale, one of them being black market, and maybe 4 non-pirate Zabruses. That includes several military markets conquered (for BR) on Nexerelin that I'd been checking regularly (Corvus mode, so including Blackrock and Rama). Someone mentioned on the discord to increase their commonality within fleet generation - This is done in the .faction file right? I changed each of the values next to brdy_mantis_XXXX to 10 but it didn't make a difference.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: June 14, 2017, 04:35:55 PM »

When are the blackrock going to give out bounties more. Only have seen 1 ever

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: June 14, 2017, 07:08:57 PM »

i'm pretty sure bounty frequency isn't tied to faction. they either give out bounties (like most major factions), or they don't (like pirates or Templars). you do get increased frequency from your commission faction though.

i'm currently doing a Tri-Tachyon run, and i've already seen several Blackrock bounties. but that's RNG for you.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 07:12:29 PM by Sy »

Alex_P

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: June 14, 2017, 11:35:20 PM »

Bounties are selected randomly-ish from all the factions. So the more faction mods you run, the less likely you are to get bounties for any one particular faction. Blackrock's definitely set up to serve bounties (I just did one yesterday), but RNG and a lot of faction mods will make them pretty inconsistent.

You can compensate for this by increasing the value of MaxPersonBounties in settings.json. It's pretty easy to make a personal mini-mod that just tweaks a few variables like that without any real coding.

JDCollie

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2705 on: June 16, 2017, 11:09:04 AM »

Not sure if this is a Blackrock issue or a problem on my end (and it doesn't seem to be affecting gameplay) but I'm getting an error with Version Checker when it gets to Blackrock.

Spoiler
[close]

Like I said, no clue if it even is a problem for you to worry about, but figured I'd post it just in case.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: June 16, 2017, 11:20:29 AM »

Nah that's my fault, dropbox's update to public folders *** it up and I haven't bothered finding a replacement yet.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: June 16, 2017, 10:20:29 PM »

I see that a lot of ships are carrier hybrids which is cool but the dedicated carrier pilots and officers are kinda of stuck in a bind. Having to be good with weapons and fighters can take a lot of points

Plejaren

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Blackrock Drive Yards
« Reply #2708 on: June 17, 2017, 02:24:03 AM »

Hey! im new to modding Starsector, i tried to download your mod but my computer wont let me move the file to the starsector mod file! can you please help me?

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
Re: Blackrock Drive Yards
« Reply #2709 on: June 17, 2017, 03:45:49 AM »

Hey! im new to modding Starsector, i tried to download your mod but my computer wont let me move the file to the starsector mod file! can you please help me?
Check your file permissions. If Starsector is installed in program files (and it probably is), you'll need to be an administrator to alter it.

Alex_P

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: June 17, 2017, 10:56:29 AM »

I'm really digging the Kumaraja as a "balanced" carrier platform. You can field a really good mix of guns, missiles, and fighters on one ship. It feels very "cruiser-like" but there's definitely enough staying power to justify it as a real capital.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2711 on: June 17, 2017, 02:01:14 PM »

I see that a lot of ships are carrier hybrids which is cool but the dedicated carrier pilots and officers are kinda of stuck in a bind. Having to be good with weapons and fighters can take a lot of points
that's not unique to Blackrock though. vanilla also has several hybrid ships, as well as Converted Hangar hullmod.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: June 17, 2017, 02:15:11 PM »

but converted hangars are a sub carrier and they have low fighter capacity

DinoZavarski

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: June 21, 2017, 02:28:33 AM »

Hi

When playing with this mod i was constantly getting messages in the log that there is no "emp" line in ""behavior":"MIRV" section of "data/weapons/proj/achilles_stage1.proj".

According to weapon_data.csv Achiles EMP damage is supposed to be equal to it's normal damage, so i added ' "emp":350, ' (equal to the "damage": value). Is this what it was supposed to be?
Me no know, me no understand, me just root...

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: June 21, 2017, 09:17:31 AM »

I have not played this in a while.  Last time I played it, Morpheus was new, Weevil was named Scarab, and Karkinos had four large mounts.  Just tried this for 0.8.1 (soon after finishing Nexerelin).  Some comments:

Some of the portraits have improved, especially the original one that now resembles Agent Smith from the Matrix films.  That one meshes with standard portraits better.  It is probably my favorite one to use if I want a Blackrock affiliated character.

Weapons
Feel mostly the same as before.  Ironweaver changed, but it does not look like anything I want to use if I have better, which remains the case for most Blackrock non-missile weapons.  Many Blackrock weapons are good enough alternatives to use if you do not have the best standard weapons.  There are few that compete with the best, such as the Shard Cannon.

A few toys caught my attention...
Comet Light Artillery has limited ammo, but that does not matter for ships whose peak performance will expire sooner than when ammo runs out.  A bit of a flux hog for its cost and DPS, but useful for ships that need its 900 range because 800 range from Light Needler is not enough.

The upsized Bolide is too slow all-around.  Much rather use HVD.

The medium Particle Rifle.  800 range energy.  Lets high-tech ships hit for hard flux from further back, but the sustained DPS is low enough that it is not practical to rely on it.  Aurora killed Eagle somewhat painlessly with these, but most perk performance ticked away by the time of the kill.  Better to use something more efficient.

I remember the 8 OP Dart, but I do not remember if the Light Dart is new or not.  Nice for 4 OP regenerator, especially since Salamanders are not as effective as they used to be.

I remember the Light SPL, but not the heavy version.  It seems the light SPLs are easy to shoot down now, so I need the heavy one to do what Light used to do.

Fighters
Mosquito Dipteron, whatever the interceptor with the Shredder is called, is about as weak as Wasps, but at least they cost no OP to install.  Still would use Talons over these any day.

Kraits are overpowered.  They kill things about ten seconds faster than Warthogs can (at least with Convergence vs. Falcon, and Astral vs. Onslaught), and six from an Astral can kill a lone Onslaught with only Expended Deck Crew hullmod for support.  No skills required.  I wonder if I can solo the simulator with Astral with six Kraits, now that Remnant fighters lost their power? (Hint:  Not grinding a new game to find out.)

Sekrets about about as powerful as Warthogs, but cost much more OP.  Not bad per se, but bested by alternatives.

Ships
Most of them are straightforward to use.  Load up on complimentary ballistics when possible, then kite-and-snipe.

Desdinova is still powerful.  I cannot load it up with as many weapons as it used to take, but comets, maulers, and a needler can still wreck things, and this feels more mobile than Medusa.

Eurypterus resembles Sunder in design.  I like to use it as a flying Mjolnir mount that stomps other destroyers.

Gonodactylus feels about as sluggish as an Enforcer now, and just like with Enforcer, fighting SIM Hammerhead is a bit of a pain.  Other Blackrock destroyers are easier to use.

Morpheus is a pain to use against anything bigger than it (though it crushes small ships).  It costs as much as a capital, but without the old skills, it is a shadow of its old self.  The AI can probably pilot it better than I can.

Typheus, like Drover and Scintilla, forget about weapons, use two Kraits, run away, and watch things die fast.

Asura, how the mighty have fallen.  Its phase cloak is a hog, making it hard to go far while cloaked, and it is hard to brawl with sub-1000 range weapons without taking damage, though it does a better job at brawling than Doom due to more shot range.

Knight, all I did was mount two HVDs and four Tactical Lasers and waited for Kraits to do the heavy lifting.

Nevermore remains effective and straightforward to use.  Needlers up front, Maulers behind them.

Stenos, I do not remember playing this ship much before.  After trying it, it is effective with Tachyon Lance, HVD, and Needlers.  Its system works well with Tachyon Lance.  Fire lance, and after it is done, use system and fire another beam.

Karkinos.  This is the first time I played it since it got three large mounts.  Still quite powerful.  I just mount three tachyon lances and a bunch of dual flak, HVDs, and light needlers and watch things die.  It can put so much hard flux on shields with kinetics, then Tachyon Lances will do bad things with or without shields up.

Kurmaraja is another powerful ship.  It is an excellent sniper.  All it needs to kill things on its own is two heavy maulers and a Gauss Cannon, and it can kite-and-snipe well enough even without the fighters.  Fighters make it even better.

That is all for now.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 11:24:21 AM by Megas »
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 209