Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

What would you like to see in Blackrock?

More ships
- 754 (23.7%)
More weapons
- 480 (15.1%)
More campaign features
- 477 (15%)
Space monsters
- 705 (22.1%)
More lore
- 207 (6.5%)
More music
- 131 (4.1%)
More portraits
- 157 (4.9%)
Subfactions
- 277 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 1424

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 209

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Blackrock Drive Yards  (Read 1790449 times)

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.1a] Blackrock Drive Yards v0.5
« Reply #1080 on: March 02, 2014, 04:14:34 PM »

Just use OBS (Open Broadcaster Software), it's what me and Uomoz use. Set it to local-only and then "stream", you will basically just record raw video + sound out of what you're doing. Then you can upload that straight to youtube if you want. c:

Yeah, those Maulers are a pain to deal with. I'll think about it, the mission is still fairly challenging for all but the most technical players, I'd say. As for the Doom, it'll probably stay for flavor reasons, or possibly get replaced by something more annoying, like a Hyperion and Tempest. A Dominator's just fuel on the fire for an Imaginos, so it would actually make the mission way, way easier... also goes against the flavor of it being a merc fleet attacking under false flags that has to get away before Blackrock IA shows up to glass their asses.

Just reviewed campaign stuff, I might put in a new star system (Solace) with this patch actually. Most logistics values make sense now, not 100% happy with fleet comps but it will suffice. Just wondering about when to spawn an Imaginos. Probably in the Sovereignty Fleet mostly.

Dragar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: March 02, 2014, 05:55:24 PM »

yeah it makes the most since for imaginos's to be in the big fleets. Because I'd doubt they'd be able to keep themselves going in small ones.

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: March 03, 2014, 05:09:39 PM »

Cant sleep so I updated the OP with a few tips on how to play specific ships. If you guys feel like I missed anything you've personally discovered, feel free to chip in.

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: March 03, 2014, 08:05:41 PM »

General advice could use expanding: You should mention that for a LOT of your guns, their actual efficacy is way higher than their listed DPS/Burst thanks to some of your clever scripts. I'm REALLY fond of those on-hit effects incidentally. I don't remember which one has the random EMP damage potential but that one was pretty sweet. I'd emphasize this as a lot of blackrock weaponry (except the sunfires) look outright worse on paper (not in-game that's for sure, SO PURTY) than vanilla weapons, let alone some of the interesting things from other mods.

As for piloting Blackrock ships - invest in hull mods and pilot skills that increase your flag ship's manuverability so you can weave in and out of your fleet duking it out - for your allied ships you want to focus on anything that'll help the AI survive since they're REALLY bad at taking advantage of blackrock strengths ~most~ of the time (sometimes they're clever enough to leave you flabbergasted but the vast majority of the time they're just going to eat reapers).

Individual ships: The desdinova is dumb, so dumb, in a burst configuration - if they don't blot out the skies with fighters or missiles then you should be able to dismantle any fleet without capitals in it with a solo desdi. So much love for desdi with stenos backup & serket harassment.

The asura's fantastic for following a ship in brawling configuration with a captain who wants to be driven closer to hit them with his sword - duck into phase and fly through your ship, the enemy ship, then unload into their engines to give your brawler an all he can eat buffet.

TheNewCongalala

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: March 04, 2014, 01:20:12 PM »

with the new changes i do like. the Imaginos now with that alt ability is just crazy, still bits of a steep side for logistics but its a damn fine ship for early game, or late game if your into piloting it (doesn't seem do well controlled by AI against some of the other mod factions like neutrino).

Weapons wise, small and medium weapons of the black-rock are just simply amazing, shard weaponry is a reliable damage source for any situation and the sunjet PDE (the one that can turn) grills unshielded ships. my particular favorites though is those Scalar repeaters good range nice ammo pools to just burst things down to zilch. however, i fell like the Large scale weapons just don't cut it in comparison to other faction weapons. Ironweaver for the slot its on is fantastic for tiny ships or just putting up a flak wall for missiles (probably one of the best ways to deal with Missile ships). but the Solinoid cannon (i know ive spelt that wrong will correct it at a later date) just does not provide that bang for the buck so to say. so quite often i end up equipping my Krakinos with other faction weapons (Kadur theocracy Demolisher and redeemer take it to OP levels).

I feel like Black rock is missing a front-line destroyer. the desdinova is a good pursuer there is not that many destroyers can be rigged to go as fast as that can, but it lacks in serious combat where some of the more hardier heavy hitting destroyers just obliterate it from existence (if there's another and ive missed it please enlighten me). i would like something bit more sturdy in addition to it, but that is my opinion. *EDIT* just discovered the hammer-claw and that's closer to what i was looking for.

The asura is great in theory but to me its not a viable ship for people starting out. its not even a worthwhile phase ship in my opinion comparing it to other phase ships of similar class size. i do like it's lore and showing that phase tech is not quite optimal for blackrock, it feels like a show room model of what black-rock can do with phase tech, im sure theres people who can use it brilliantly but i just don't like it, maybe if it had a different ability or a unique weapons on it i could get behind it.

otherwise just love the rest especially the Krait fighter wings probably one of the best fighters I've used.

there's my 2 cents, haven't tried end times recently but i'm expecting to get something higher then 35%
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 02:47:11 PM by TheNewCongalala »

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: March 06, 2014, 09:54:40 AM »

Thanks for the great feedback guys.

The secret to using the Asura well is to abuse its mobility, which is much higher than any other phase ship. It also has way more firepower than even the Doom, especially with character skills. I'm considering to give it a small missile hardpoint or two to round it out a bit.

The frontline destroyer is the Gonodactylus, for the most part. I buffed it a bit just now and increased the price a tiny bit. For the most part it's exactly like an Enforcer in your fleets.

I just finished a polish pass on sound effects, descriptions and whatnot. The Squilla-class bomber has been replaced with the Vespa-class bomber... which is almost identical, except it has burst jets, no shield, and a micro argus for defense.

Also a bunch of other stuff I forgot. Oh yeah! I'm adding music, new portraits, and I made this new banner for the OP.

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: March 06, 2014, 12:56:57 PM »

*throws money at screen*

When do I get to support you as a full time game developer?!

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: March 06, 2014, 10:03:13 PM »

So you're a music creator now? Intriguing.
 But I have to ask, how will your mod handle the upcoming trade system? Will you have your own goods, events, etc?

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: March 07, 2014, 05:33:32 AM »

I've been making music since a decade before I started drawing spaceships. :P I'll handle trade when it gets here. BR will have its own events.

*throws money at screen*

When do I get to support you as a full time game developer?!

*tugs collar* In a wondrous hypothetical future.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: March 07, 2014, 12:12:09 PM »

Mh, there seems to be some kind of bug in damage calculation of the Imaginos' phase absorption ability. I just destroyed a (full health) Falcon and a Shade after sucking in nothing but a few fighter bullets. Also, I can reliably destroy a wing of Broadswords while passing by sucking in the missiles and machine gun fire they throw at me.

If you can give me another tip about a good tool to cut the videos recorded wit OBS I'll show it to you :)

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: March 07, 2014, 01:25:28 PM »

I'll look into that soon. A video of the issue with the Falcon and Shade would be very useful. Do you know of a way to reliably reproduce it?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: March 07, 2014, 02:49:49 PM »

I'll look into that soon. A video of the issue with the Falcon and Shade would be very useful. Do you know of a way to reliably reproduce it?

Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DEZi0Rod7U&feature=youtu.be

Don't know how to reproduce that, though I'm pretty sure there were other cases with strange damage output, just not so obvious.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: March 07, 2014, 04:21:55 PM »

Many thanks Gothars. I think I found the issue thanks to your info, but I'll have to do some testing to make sure.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: March 15, 2014, 08:43:33 AM »

Here's a video of the End Times mission, if anyone is interested. I hope you don't mind me posting that here, Cycerin.

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: March 15, 2014, 08:57:28 AM »

Nice to see how you do things. What do you think about the balance/gameplay of Blackrock as a faction?
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 209