Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

What would you like to see in Blackrock?

More ships
- 753 (23.6%)
More weapons
- 480 (15.1%)
More campaign features
- 477 (15%)
Space monsters
- 704 (22.1%)
More lore
- 206 (6.5%)
More music
- 131 (4.1%)
More portraits
- 157 (4.9%)
Subfactions
- 277 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 1423

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 208

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Blackrock Drive Yards  (Read 1787418 times)

GruntyThrst

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Blackrock Drive Yards - v0.30
« Reply #435 on: August 05, 2013, 01:25:11 PM »

I am so fond of your ships' special abilities. Now I'm far away and now I'm in your face!
Kudo's, Cycerin.

Also handy for dodging those pesky little mini nebulas in your way.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 05, 2013, 05:28:08 PM »

Makin pew shweee shweee PAKOOM noises with my mouth irl

Is "PAKOOM" the sound of the Lance firing?  :D

Also, how do you edit weapon files. I kinda wanna trim the Lance's muzzle smoke and make it more of a flash than long lasting smoke. It just looks weird when I would dive in with the jets while charging the Lance, fire it mid jet-burst, slow down and yet the smoke careens off into the distance.

In that last .gif, you can see where the Nevermore turns to the side a little, abandoning the puff of smoke. Most blackrock guns have a similar.... I wouldn't call it an issue, but just a nitpick of mine.... where the smoke puff lasts long enough that the ship can leave it behind.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 06, 2013, 05:55:30 AM »

Makin pew shweee shweee PAKOOM noises with my mouth irl

How did you figure out the secret to my creative process

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #438 on: August 06, 2013, 05:59:50 AM »

Aha! I always use BADABANG. Maybe that's why I find my mods lacking.
I'm going to add some PAKOOM to them.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 06, 2013, 08:58:49 AM »

@Cycerin How do you make your sounds? Free sounds are so lame, as are the paid ones too. I don't have a mixing program though, only audacity. XD

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 06, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »

I use a combination of recording, synthesis and sampling in a digital audio workstation: most of it is done in FL Studio, FL Studio's Edison plugin, and Audacity (Paulstretch is fantastic). Also, Audacity has multiple tracks so per definition it's a mixing program.

If you want to make your own sound effects you need to learn a lot of the same things electronic musicians need to know. The easiest thing would be to simply mix other sound effects together until you have something that doesn't sound like its parts. The harder approach is to use synthesis, effects and recording to create something completely from scratch.

Longer version of that amlance gif trying to use gifcam as a literal camera
Too bad I couldn't capture the Stenos shelling the battlecruiser from the other side but can't make the window too large or I'll end up with 30mb gifs
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 09:11:11 AM by Cycerin »

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 06, 2013, 10:42:03 AM »

SS sure is a f**ing pretty game. Amazing gif.

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 06, 2013, 10:48:31 AM »

Wow, awesome gif indeed.
Instantly downloaded GifCam, tried it out and couldn't figure out what "colorcode" you used. Mine looked always hideous.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 06, 2013, 12:11:23 PM »

Holy crap that is amazing.  Incredibly shot, Cyc!

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 06, 2013, 02:22:04 PM »

Wow, awesome gif indeed.
Instantly downloaded GifCam, tried it out and couldn't figure out what "colorcode" you used. Mine looked always hideous.

Quantize or Nearest seems to always do the trick for me.

Shield

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 30, 2013, 10:51:41 AM »

Wow, awesome gif indeed.

Quantize or Nearest seems to always do the trick for me.

Have you thought about making some energy based destroyers/cruisers? Just out of curiosity have you also thought about some more energy based weapons or strictly stick with the more ballistic based route?

angrytigerp

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 30, 2013, 01:31:38 PM »

Just thought I'd drop in and mention that Blackrock ships are the bee's knees. I'm rocking a Desdinova-Class in a Uomoz run and it is one of the best sub-capital ships I've ever run.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 30, 2013, 01:59:16 PM »

Just thought I'd drop in and mention that Blackrock ships are the bee's knees. I'm rocking a Desdinova-Class in a Uomoz run and it is one of the best sub-capital ships I've ever run.

cycerin mentionned before the desdinova was meant to be a hyper efficient prototype ship. i think he mentionned somewhere he might use the frigate CR system to it (the one where it goes down over time) to represent its prototype nature

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 02, 2013, 03:40:15 AM »

I had a mind to make a phase destroyer with energy/ missile weapons, and there are currently three energy weapons in the internal build that aren't in the release build: a beam that does heavy HE damage at high flux cost, a small version of the Argus PD Beam, and one that's still on the drawing board.

And the Desdinova is indeed going to become unreliable in protracted engagements. Think of it as a shock weapon you deploy to try to blitz an engagement into a quick victory or draw. If you are expecting a protracted engagement, it might not be that much worth deploying, unless you are crazy good at piloting it...

In return for its unreliability, the ship is probably going to have the ability to reverse using Burst Jets back.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 02, 2013, 11:38:30 PM »

Been plaiyng this game for a while and I thought I'd stop by to tell you how cool your faction is. Love the desindova, because it's a fast& furious kind of ship with the firepower to threaten even cruisers and such. Maxing the combat skills can turn it in a real monster, thou you gotta be careful about flanking because of the narrow shield.
 The nevermore is also a beast, the main gun is fun and satisfying to use, great for sniping and as a finisher, and adding double anyplasma blasters, fury torpedoes and solenoid guns turns it into a real heavy hitter.
 Finally the cap ship: nice design and cool unique system, great for sniping and breaking off for venting or a get away, making up for the lack of firepower compared to vanilla cruisers, decently fast and agile by default.
 They can all be turned into really self sufficient ships via the red skill tree, never felt like I need more firepower or speed, can take a bashing if needed to vent in the middle of an enemy crowd.
 Looking forward to seeing this mod grow.
 Also: what are those two screen shots a few pages ago? What's that thing that looks like a Nevermore? And are you planning to add a battleship?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:13:49 AM by Sabaton »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 208