Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Poll

What would you like to see in Blackrock?

More ships
- 754 (23.7%)
More weapons
- 480 (15.1%)
More campaign features
- 477 (15%)
Space monsters
- 705 (22.1%)
More lore
- 207 (6.5%)
More music
- 131 (4.1%)
More portraits
- 157 (4.9%)
Subfactions
- 277 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 1424

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 209

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Blackrock Drive Yards  (Read 1790405 times)

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.2a] Blackrock Drive Yards v0.6.6 - Updated!
« Reply #1320 on: November 03, 2014, 05:53:03 PM »

Who'd want to live in an uncontrolled planetary environment instead of a nice safe box inside other boxes inside an inflated metal asteroid spun up into an O'neil Cylinder with kilometers thick walls capable of absorbing many, many, strikes from antimatter weaponry, while retaliating with directed columns of light capable of dumping out enough energy to vaporize a 10,000 strong fleet of 300m long ships inside of a minute?!

Also relativistic kinetic bombardment sucks when you're exposed to the direct and indirect effects of a wrecked biosphere - tidal waves and hypercanes and super volcanoes, oh my.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: November 03, 2014, 06:25:03 PM »

Who'd want to live in an uncontrolled planetary environment instead of a nice safe box inside other boxes inside an inflated metal asteroid spun up into an O'neil Cylinder with kilometers thick walls capable of absorbing many, many, strikes from antimatter weaponry, while retaliating with directed columns of light capable of dumping out enough energy to vaporize a 10,000 strong fleet of 300m long ships inside of a minute?!

Also relativistic kinetic bombardment sucks when you're exposed to the direct and indirect effects of a wrecked biosphere - tidal waves and hypercanes and super volcanoes, oh my.

Funnily, this kind of thing still leaves me with my impression that the Domains colonial policy was primarily considered on ensuring that there was little to no risk of an independence movement successfully taking root before any other concerns, despite that lost government now being described as a democracy.

PerfectDeath

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: November 04, 2014, 08:31:58 AM »

Whereas with mirrors, it's just a flat and (on human scales) infinite sustained function of the total surface area of mirrors you have in orbit, and their distance from the star. (inverse-square law)

Also, mirrors in space are INCREDIBLY easy to make - melt one nickel-iron asteroid, vaporizing the volatiles in the process - same for one siliceous asteroid. After you've got a ball of molten metal and glass, you use controlled vaporization via collimated light to act as a rocket motor and spin them up - the rotational forces pulling them out into discs (carefully controlled, of course, to maintain even thickness) and then you join the two still-molten discs together to create a modern metal-backed mirror with an IMMENSE surface area.

Two one-km asteroids (final melt diameter) becomes a mirror with a surface area of 104,000km^2 at 5cm thickness.

How many years of bad luck would you get breaking that mirror? =P

Sir Goose

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.2a] Blackrock Drive Yards v0.6.6
« Reply #1323 on: November 05, 2014, 06:01:43 PM »

I have to say, this faction mod is my all time favorite out of all the factions that I've seen in Star Sector so far. I can't wait for the update to 6.5! Keep up the awesome work!

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: November 06, 2014, 04:38:24 AM »

Thanks a lot! I'm a bit busy these days, so I'm not quite sure when I'll have the mod working again, but I do want to try looking at it soon.

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: November 06, 2014, 09:33:13 AM »

Cycerin, due to your distaste for the missile buff, will we see an even more monstrous PD come from BRDY sometime in the future?

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: November 07, 2014, 03:03:59 AM »

The intention is to keep PD competitive, apart from that I have no agenda.

Alphascrub

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: November 08, 2014, 02:45:39 AM »

The intention is to keep PD competitive, apart from that I have no agenda.

In other words until missile systems of all sorts are toned down BRY might be one of the best place to get PD that is actually suitable to it cause/purpose. As it stands right now most of the base PD systems, are extremely lack luster. The basic energy pd (normal sized, Large, and burst) are definitely terrible when it comes to shooting down anything beyond a harpoon or two.

Edit: Clarity and question. Cycerin just of curiosity, do you plan letting BRY have a presence in multiple system? With some faction mods it can be a bit of a struggle to get reputation with them, especially if you use combat to reach those ends.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 12:33:44 PM by Alphascrub »

Regularity

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: November 13, 2014, 05:05:03 PM »

Hi! I use Blackrock as part of the Starsector+ modpack (which combines several mods together). And I don't know if this issue has been brought up before, but Blackrock's economy seems a bit overpowered than anyone else's by a large margin. For example, you can usually buy supplies for half of what you can get them in Corvus (normally the cheapest/largest supply producer in vanilla Starsector), and the same for fuel in comparison to Askonia (again, normally the cheapest/largest supplier in vanilla). It also overproduces other goods and sells them cheaper than every other sector, though not to the same extreme as 50% off the next cheapest planet like with fuel and supply. It's a massive boon for anyone looking to profit from trade... to the point of feeling like an exploit.

I suspect the issue is the combination of it's 10^8 population and extremely high stability, probably due to Blackrock fleets being deadly enough to wipe out any pirate that dares even look at a trade route. Have you considered nerfing the Anar economy, or is it unparalleled might intended due to the faction's backstory?

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: November 13, 2014, 05:06:06 PM »

Hi! I use Blackrock as part of the Starsector+ modpack (which combines several mods together). And I don't know if this issue has been brought up before, but Blackrock's economy seems a bit overpowered than anyone else's by a large margin. For example, you can usually buy supplies for half of what you can get them in Corvus (normally the cheapest/largest supply producer in vanilla Starsector), and the same for fuel in comparison to Askonia (again, normally the cheapest/largest supplier in vanilla). It also overproduces other goods and sells them cheaper than every other sector, though not to the same extreme as 50% off the next cheapest planet like with fuel and supply. It's a massive boon for anyone looking to profit from trade... to the point of feeling like an exploit.

I suspect the issue is the combination of it's 10^8 population and extremely high stability, probably due to Blackrock fleets being deadly enough to wipe out any pirate that dares even look at a trade route. Have you considered nerfing the Anar economy, or is it unparalleled might intended due to the faction's backstory?
Not Blackrock. You're talking about Shadowyards.

Regularity

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: November 13, 2014, 05:27:27 PM »

Oops. Sorry! I feel like a moron.  :o

I was actually reading the description Blackrock ship in the codex window while I was typing up the post, and must have mixed them up in my head. Love the art for those ships, by the way. Good work.

Cycerin

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: November 15, 2014, 07:01:42 AM »

I'm planning on having some independent + pirate presence in Gneiss with the next release in order to make things more interesting in the system. I might also put a Blackrock base in a different vanilla system to make faction warfare more practical.

Here's something to listen to while you wait, to steel yourself to subvert and escape this rotten Sector: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32517861/blackrock%20theme%20redux.mp3

Oathseeker

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: November 15, 2014, 11:20:53 AM »

God I can't wait! I'm lost without my blackrock fleet!
Also I'm vary glad to hear about the second station for more conflict, I really wish all systems had several factions. Whats the point of war if you don't get profitses when invading a system? And the AI hardly ever raids systems (though I thnk II adresses that?).

Alphascrub

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: November 15, 2014, 02:13:03 PM »

God I can't wait! I'm lost without my blackrock fleet!
Also I'm vary glad to hear about the second station for more conflict, I really wish all systems had several factions. Whats the point of war if you don't get profitses when invading a system? And the AI hardly ever raids systems (though I thnk II adresses that?).

I actually don't mind it as much as I did before. I've been exploring other ships lately. Especially a few from shadowyards and the mayorate. They both add a good flavor and I will enjoy have a multitask fleet in the future. For example, I really like mayorate basic frigates, they are cheap as hell and expendable while they maintain decent firepower with their built in weapon. I like to center them around a morning star from the shadowyards which posses pretty dam good range with its sensor drones and medium energy mount. Being able to mount blackrock weapons on them in the future will only make them better and throwing in a few BRD gunships into the mix will make a really strong early mixed fleet without to much of a massive cost.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 02:15:00 PM by Alphascrub »

uzsibox

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: November 17, 2014, 06:18:58 AM »

man i miss my nevermore :\
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 209