Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Carriers  (Read 11893 times)

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Carriers
« on: October 26, 2011, 06:33:31 AM »

Do carriers slowly or at a moderate pace produce ships or just store them. Can you become a carrier and will there be a high class one

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
Re: Carriers
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 07:54:24 AM »

there is a carrier in the game currently, and it just stores/repairs/refits fighter squads, however, there might be future plans for them.
Quote from: Archon
Why has a developer ever needed any reason other than "it looks bloody awesome"?

I do 3D modeling and map creation for an open source fps called xonotic

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 08:12:31 AM »

i know there's a carrier but i mean a big one thats for way later in the game like the big star ships i saw in some of the pictures.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 08:18:24 AM by Lopunny Zen »

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 08:59:51 AM »

There is a VERY large Carrier in one of the missions that is already in the game at this point, it is pretty powerful for sure, I honestly cannot beat that mission as of now because of how good the Carrier is, but then again I'm not all that good at the game yet, ha ha.
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 09:59:58 AM »

i see well i hope i can become one of those lol

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 10:13:41 AM »

Actually, if you do a random mission (currently the final mission option in the alpha version, available if you pre-order the game), it is possible that the large carrier might be added to your fleet, in which case you could transfer command to it, and give it a try.   :)

In order to refresh the random fleets generated in the random mission, just click it again in the menu, and it reloads with fresh ships on both sides, etc.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

CommComms

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 12:19:46 PM »

Yes, the Astral is the big high-tech capital class carrier.  Like any ship you can can hop into the captain's chair if it's on your side.  You get one in the Coral Nebula mission, and I guess could get one in the random battles. 

It is, in my opinion at least, less fun to pilot than most other ships, just because it's big, slow, fragile compared to anything comparable, and way under gunned compared to anything comparable.  That and the mission where you get it puts you up against a bunch of pretty tough cruisers that it can't really go toe to toe with.  It's still pretty awesome of course, I'd just rather be driving something zippier instead.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 03:09:45 PM »

its ok i prefer slow but powerful anyways :)

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 03:50:37 PM »

problem on the random wars you never ever get the giant carrier but the enemy seems to get it....somethings wrong here maybe theres a glitch...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 08:10:40 PM »

Hmm, yeah, you don't get the Astral in that one - the random sides aren't the same. Without modding, the only way to fly it right now is in the "Coral Nebula" mission.

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2011, 08:16:42 AM »

Hmm, yeah, you don't get the Astral in that one - the random sides aren't the same. Without modding, the only way to fly it right now is in the "Coral Nebula" mission.

Oops, my bad, I made an erroneous assumption there that it was eventually randomly going to appear in your fleet, ack.  :)   Good to know you can use it in the Coral Nebula though.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 11:31:21 AM »

so...why does the enemy get a random carrier and i dont...i dont get it isnt random suppose to be....random....but for some odd reason a carrier is restricted...

JuffoWup

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 04:54:12 AM »

so...why does the enemy get a random carrier and i dont...i dont get it isnt random suppose to be....random....but for some odd reason a carrier is restricted...

If you navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starfarer\starfarer-core\data\missions\randombattle1 and open MissionDefinition.java in notepad you can see the the various probability factors; just change "astral_Elite" to something other than 0 and you should be fine. Also, in this section:
Code
	}
if (makeFlagship) {
api.addToFleet(side, "conquest_Elite", FleetMemberType.SHIP, true);
makeFlagship = false;
}
you can change your flagship to something other than the Conquest. I had it set to the Astral for a while, and it made for totally different experience in the random battle. Just make sure to back up any files before you edit them.

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 03:43:57 PM »

If you navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starfarer\starfarer-core\data\missions\randombattle1 and open MissionDefinition.java in notepad you can see the the various probability factors; just change "astral_Elite" to something other than 0 and you should be fine. Also, in this section:
Code
	}
if (makeFlagship) {
api.addToFleet(side, "conquest_Elite", FleetMemberType.SHIP, true);
makeFlagship = false;
}
you can change your flagship to something other than the Conquest. I had it set to the Astral for a while, and it made for totally different experience in the random battle. Just make sure to back up any files before you edit them.

Ohh, that is pretty cool, I'll have to give it a try.  Btw, is there a file in there with a list of the proper file level names for all the ships?  i.e. astral_Elite and conquest_Elite, clearly it wouldn't like it if I just guessed at the exact names, etc, ha ha.  :)  Forgive me if the answer is obvious, I don't poke around in the guts of this game much at all.  :)

JuffoWup

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 06:56:21 PM »

Ohh, that is pretty cool, I'll have to give it a try.  Btw, is there a file in there with a list of the proper file level names for all the ships?  i.e. astral_Elite and conquest_Elite, clearly it wouldn't like it if I just guessed at the exact names, etc, ha ha.  :)  Forgive me if the answer is obvious, I don't poke around in the guts of this game much at all.  :)

Not a file exactly, but "C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starfarer\starfarer-core\data\variants" has all the names in it. They're all case-sensitive, I've found.

There might be a better way, I'm not sure. This is all just trial-and-error on my part.
Pages: [1] 2