Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: What type of ship do you fly?  (Read 20958 times)

sigvard

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: What type of ship do you fly?
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2012, 03:02:39 AM »

Onslaught. Being the least subtle thing on the battlefield has a subtlety all it's own, when played correctly. The tactical options afforded by it's heavy armament and armor suit my personal play style. You can afford to damn the torpedoes and charge when the situation demands it, though playing the onslaught with the same degree of tact you would play the paragon is generally more appropriate. It's speed has never bothered me, even before the burn-drive was implemented.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2012, 06:50:43 AM »

unfortunately no
Gee whiz. Thats too bad.
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

Gabrybbo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2012, 06:57:35 AM »

In the early game i usually fly a Wolf or a Vigilance, because they are both capable of moving very fast on the battlefield, so i can assist my ships whenever they need it.  :)
Then i tend to rush a Falcon (moves fast, pack a good punch, is very survivable...) and she is my flagship as long as she lives, which means pretty much forever. :3
...you can be assured that whatever comes out of the dev-oven will be fantastic and delicious. And it will also include frosting and sprinkles.

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2012, 12:50:43 PM »

You'll want to either set up Defend (instead of Control) orders to protect your most important captured points, and/or assign intercept orders when you notice enemies headed towards a far point you control. That's a better way than running all over the place trying to do everything yourself ;)
I dislike assault/defend because it divides my fleet if I use it in more than one place, and I don't assign intercept too much because I save my CPs for Engage and Strike commands in order to take out large enemy ships one at a time. It's actually very effective, I just have to pay close attention to the battle.

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2012, 02:51:35 PM »

Wow, cant believe anyone said this....i use the Doom class, the ion cannons as my main and a mass of missle when i over load them, and with heavy armor this thing could take alot. I would use a larger craft but i often find it too bulky and hard to use then the Doom.

Edit: I use- x4 Tactical lazers, x2 Phase beams, x2 ion cannons front mount, x2 needlers front mount, and a proximity bomb launcher.
I have heavy armor as my lone "ability" (not sure what the actual name is, and to lazy to look  :D)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 06:28:30 PM by firstattak1 »

firstattak1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2012, 06:35:42 PM »

Odyssey with 2x autopulse and 1x plasma cannon. Any fans of the Odyssey out there? It seems to be a pretty neglected capitol ship.

Odyssey is my favorite cap ship. I've morphed mine into a strike class ship and it works really well. It's low-ish armor and hull(for a cap ship) which means it can't really stay under heavy fire for long so I move in and out of combat with it's fast speed (fastest cap ship beside burn drive onslaught). I'm still useful while backed away from the heavy fighting due to my carrier abilities. I have 2x Autopulse on my left along with some small IR pulse. I'm covered with Burst PD and Guardian PD. With all the charge up PD and the Autopulse I add the Expanded magazines hull mod. I wait until my Autopulse cannons are both fully charged at 22 shots (due to expanded magazines) and then enter battle with shields raised. When my enemy is at high-ish flux I activate High Energy Focus and blast the autopulse cannons at them, leaving them either overloaded or all their weapons on that side of the ship crippled. I then fire 2 Torpedoes from the front missle slots on the ship to finish my enemy off. I just love the thing.

I almost forgot about this baby. I used this, not as my flag ship but I've seen it in action along side me and man was i blow away of how good it is. Odyssey is a beast as a suport for me.

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2012, 08:19:09 PM »

Odyssey with 2x autopulse and 1x plasma cannon. Any fans of the Odyssey out there? It seems to be a pretty neglected capitol ship.

Odyssey is my favorite cap ship. I've morphed mine into a strike class ship and it works really well. It's low-ish armor and hull(for a cap ship) which means it can't really stay under heavy fire for long so I move in and out of combat with it's fast speed (fastest cap ship beside burn drive onslaught). I'm still useful while backed away from the heavy fighting due to my carrier abilities. I have 2x Autopulse on my left along with some small IR pulse. I'm covered with Burst PD and Guardian PD. With all the charge up PD and the Autopulse I add the Expanded magazines hull mod. I wait until my Autopulse cannons are both fully charged at 22 shots (due to expanded magazines) and then enter battle with shields raised. When my enemy is at high-ish flux I activate High Energy Focus and blast the autopulse cannons at them, leaving them either overloaded or all their weapons on that side of the ship crippled. I then fire 2 Torpedoes from the front missle slots on the ship to finish my enemy off. I just love the thing.

I almost forgot about this baby. I used this, not as my flag ship but I've seen it in action along side me and man was i blow away of how good it is. Odyssey is a beast as a suport for me.

I used this combination for quite some time - the pulse-laser barrage looks astonishing, especially when you activate HEF - you can literally feel the kick (although nothing changes in visuals :P ). Switched to Aurora though - couldn't stand the assymetrical placement of weapons, and Aurora is simply prettier :>

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2012, 11:12:54 AM »

The odyssey is a quite nice balance of multiple roles; I often like to have one in the late game, especially as far as flight-deck equipped ships go.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2012, 11:24:31 AM »

I really like the falcon, with the new MJ system buff, its really fast. It is also the fastest cruiser in the game with a pretty decent damage output.

My setup is 2 Heavy ACs in the front. 2 Phase beams in the medium energy. 2 Reapers in the small missile slots. And 2 LRPDs in the small back slots. Using the turret gyros makes it so they can take down salamanders before they hit my back. Allowing me to skip extended shields and resistant flux conduits.

Makes for a mean agile and fast cruiser that can solo most other cruiser size ships and below. It also provides great support if you have bigger ships to take on cap ships. The uber cheep reapers for only a total of 4 OP provide a great weapon of opportunity when helping other ships, they also take down BuffaloMK2s in 1 shot and provide great damage against ships that are occupied.

I really recommend this if you are tired of sweeping around in a low firepower frigate or destroyer. As it is faster that most destroyers. Put on Aug Engines to make it insanely fast.

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2012, 11:48:57 AM »

I completely forgot about the Aug Engine Falcon... Gotta go try that.

adecoy95

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2012, 12:26:49 PM »

I prefer to still run in a 4 antimatter cannon loaded Medusa, I love running into combat alongside my conquest class Battlecrusier and making enemies feel PAIN as I hit them with these horribly painful, if short ranged, weapons, and then getting the hell out of dodge.

In some ways I kinda feel like I'm running as the heavy cavalry of the space age, doing hit and runs while my conquest broadsides everything into oblivion.

Aleskander

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2012, 02:13:28 PM »

I prefer to still run in a 4 antimatter cannon loaded Medusa, I love running into combat alongside my conquest class Battlecrusier and making enemies feel PAIN as I hit them with these horribly painful, if short ranged, weapons, and then getting the hell out of dodge.

In some ways I kinda feel like I'm running as the heavy cavalry of the space age, doing hit and runs while my conquest broadsides everything into oblivion.
That's pretty much starfarer, space Mount and Blade

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2012, 03:12:27 PM »

Autopulse apogee is sexier than ever now with the range boost, though the AI suicides its sensor drones way too fast.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2012, 03:18:47 PM »

I prefer to still run in a 4 antimatter cannon loaded Medusa.

This. ludicrously effective.

This is the variant I roll with atm.

Max. capacitors to make the most of the most of hardened shields & the Medusa's inherent excellent shield efficiency.

Capital ship strength shields on a destroyer really are quite insane.

The only thing I'm not convinced of is what to put in the universal mounts.
I've tried IR Pulse and I've tried Light Dual Autocannons, but am unconvinced by either.

I think the answer might be missiles; either Reaper Torps, or Annihilator Rockets.
Hmm, on second thoughts tactical lasers might work really well.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 03:20:31 PM by TJJ »

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2012, 03:40:13 PM »

Solely reaper torps, on THAT? You are almost guaranteed to take down a cap with that thing! :D
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5