Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Droid Fighter wings rule all?  (Read 4449 times)

8BitHero

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Droid Fighter wings rule all?
« on: October 18, 2011, 07:52:16 AM »

This might just be me, but it seems that the droid fighter wings are hands down the best fighters in the game. The combination of speed, numbers (5 in a squad), and an extremely accurate laser weapon (compared to missiles, machine guns etc) mean that other fighters/bombers are a nonissue. Anyone else noticed this? :)

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
Re: Droid Fighter wings rule all?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 08:46:05 AM »

6 to a squad actually. (the Wasp Drone Intercepters)

They beat out the Talon interceptors, but heavy fighters can still tear them apart, as can PD (which just about nay interceptor will fall to)

So really 'best' is about what you are using them for.

8BitHero

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 11:40:01 AM »

Ah yes. Drone Interceptors. My bad. I've been playing the Coral Nebula and Predator or Prey missions, so that might be colouring my opinion a bit. Like you said, Talons don't stand a chance. Maybe I'll try some heavy fighters in Predator or Prey to take them on...

CommComms

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 04:54:01 PM »

To be fair, they are in the "high tech" category of ships.  Along with Tempest, Medusa, Astral, and Aurora; all of which are pretty solidly the best ship in their class.  They're certainly the best right now, but presumably they'll have some limiting factor such as cost or tech level at some point.  Plus, it could be worse.  Imagine if they could independently maneuver without having to say in formation all the time!  God I'm looking forward to when the devs finally put in a high tech battleship.

Surveyor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 03:03:58 AM »

Apogee?

CommComms

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 09:19:17 AM »

I think the Aurora's stronger than the Apogee, and that the only argument against that stems strictly from the apogee's very powerful loadout.  Mostly the antimatter cannons.  I suspect that once we're able to outfit ships we'll be able to set up the Aurora in a similarly devastating fashion.  As for what "best ship" means is open to interpretation, and maybe it's the case that the Aurora's numbers are higher overall and I'm wrong.  If so, then it's the exception that proves the rule so there.