Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: New Onslaught is a Beast!  (Read 10675 times)

DelicateTask

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: New Onslaught is a Beast!
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2012, 12:11:48 PM »

I really thought she had 4 decks, but i don't use that ship so often.  :)
I do, and sadly 3 just isn't enough for a truly fighter based fleet, but adding a second carrier brings the FP up to 44 (I think, off the top of my head), not leaving enough room for the fighters that would need that many decks...

Anyways, not to get off topic:
I think that further increasing the damage of the antimatter blaster to 1200 (I's sure I saw mention of that happening) will make it easier to destroy the Onslaught from behind if you can survive.

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2012, 12:30:23 PM »

I am severely troubled by the complete absence of point defense systems demonstrated by the ships in that video. If missiles threatened your existence, you might devise a way to neutralize them, instead of tanking them in the face and hoping that the enemy runs out of ammo.

Not even a chance to fight back...
that depends...if you have enough armor you can just laugh at the missiles....
thats why some proposed reactivation and rearming of the venerable Iowa class battleships....if you remove some parts most of its vitals are just too well armored to be penetrated by most modern ship to ship missiles and it doesnt burn as well as modern aluminium warships....
that said missiles in Homeworld 2 universe are supposed to be lagging behind energy and some projectile weapons and are only used as a support

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2012, 11:33:10 PM »

I still find that the most useful weapon system on the Onslaught is the 4 Annihilator missiles. After launching an all out assault with the main guns it can just sit behind a cloud of missiles, passively venting flux and forcing opponents to keep shields up (or doing truly massive damage). And it gets their amazing damage blocking ability!

DJ Die

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2012, 06:07:04 AM »

I still find that the most useful weapon system on the Onslaught is the 4 Annihilator missiles. After launching an all out assault with the main guns it can just sit behind a cloud of missiles, passively venting flux and forcing opponents to keep shields up (or doing truly massive damage). And it gets their amazing damage blocking ability!
well you could say annihilators work better than shields on most low tech ships i love em too

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2012, 06:35:12 AM »

I still find that the most useful weapon system on the Onslaught is the 4 Annihilator missiles.
I would like them, if my ships wouldn't fly straight in to my missile swarm and get destroyed all the time.

sigvard

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2012, 03:05:59 AM »

Used to prefer the 4 annihilator pod setup on my onslaught. I tend to lean towards pilums now though, considering the pressure they put on phase ships, among there other tactical uses. The annihilators can hardly be beaten, however, for maximizing your damage output against a recently charged ship. The torpedoes serve this role as well of course, but they do not have the staying power the annihilator pods do. you can take down several ships with the rocket pods, and can afford to use them as pressure against smaller enemies, or as a screen against enemy fire/other missiles in an emergency.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 03:09:09 AM by sigvard »

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2012, 03:25:06 AM »

I always used Pilums... not sure why I never thought of this!  Gonna give this a shot soon as my new Onslaught is properly equipped.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2012, 08:30:32 AM »

I usually use reapers if at all possible

put all guns on auto-fire and pick off targets with their epic burst damage
mmm.... tartiflette

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2012, 11:33:33 AM »

I haven't really used Annihilators on the Onslaught all too much since I've felt that with the Onslaught's slow turn rate and the rear positioning of the missile slots it's a bit difficult to get missiles to align properly to hit. I'll have to try it out; I've usually been leaving the missile slots empty on that ship. I do love Annihilators on my Dominator, though.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2012, 11:36:31 AM »

Helbore in the large slots, and machineguns in the small ones with Annihilators is quite effective.  You can get in really close with the machineguns and easily knock down shields due to how flux efficient they are.
Pages: 1 2 [3]