Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Creative uses for Fuel  (Read 6488 times)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Creative uses for Fuel
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 09:34:16 PM »

This probably can be done atm using Java.  Put a System on a Dram that instead of the oh-so-useless flares drops fuel cannisters that are mine-like objects. 

Making Drams extra explosive might also be possible by spawning some big explosive mines on the position of their corpse when they die; unfortunately that isn't possible in the Campaign yet, as we don't have access to the Mission loops where (I think) we'd need to intercept the event :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 05:41:18 AM »

Personally I would never use it, yet I have a feeling the AI would use it a lot.
Another reason I don't like this.

I don't like it when there is an option to sacrifice something (be it credits, supplies, fuel, a ship, ect.) to deal damage to an opponent. The player is sacrificing something they worked hard for, the AI is sacrificing something that it could replace easily.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 06:03:33 AM »

@delicatetask
Could infernium be hypergolic though?

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Rowanas

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 01:58:21 PM »

Surely dumping lots of fuel would work in much the same way as !ejecting the warp core! It's a classic bit of science fiction, and deserves a place in the game.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 06:08:39 PM »

But would always find a way to bugger itself up at the time you need it most, like true warp core ejection fashion!

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 06:43:23 PM »

Warning, I'm about to go all technical.  ;D

From what I know, infernium isn't what they use to make a ship move, as fuel is only used for inter system travel IE: the magic warp drives that go past the speed of light

And the idea of any spacefaring race carrying oxygen on their ships just to waste it to burn fuel is bad ship design at best :P

Combustion is one of the less efficient methods to retrieve energy, on top of the fact the fuel will now take up a significant portion of your ship to store.

I quote form thy wikipedia!

" Fuel is any material that stores energy that can later be extracted "

The methods you are all concerned about, with need for oxidisers and etc, is just the method the energy is extracted ( mostly from combustion )

For all we know, infernium is just a fissile element, and trust me, fission doesn't need oxygen in any sort to release energy.

I extracted this idea since in the codex, they name the Sabots as using depleted Infernium (uranium ring a bell)? as the material of choice for the penetrator for it's super high density,

Being a dense and heavy element, this rules out the possibility of it being a light fusion capable element such as hydrogen/tritium/deuterium or helium.

But fuel is diluted meaning it may be stored in such a way that it will not be readily available for a nuclear reaction/criticality to occur as would be good safety practice for standard ship design ;P.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 02:49:31 AM »

that makes much more sense! I'm surprised I never caught onto that...

in that case, dumping infernium as an improvised mine, would be more like dropping a nuke.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 09:48:28 AM »

Nukes are actually very difficult to explode, if Wikipedia is to be believed :)

Just dumping it in raw form, or even fuel form, might not necessarily produce a useful explosion.

Then again it's called INFERNIUM, I think it's probably pretty explosive straight up :)
Pages: 1 [2]