Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Campaign will suffer greatly unless 'save scumming' is eliminated.  (Read 6583 times)

Levik

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Campaign will suffer greatly unless 'save scumming' is eliminated.
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 09:38:44 PM »

save and exit - forever!

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 09:56:40 PM »

Do i really need to make a post about how ridiculous this thread is, really? You have the choice. Use it. Removing the choice because you have no self control would be idiotic beyond imagination.

Did you even think this through dude?

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 10:03:57 PM »

TLDR: Some ppl in this topic are attempting to use flawed, offensive logic which is annoying me. All I want is an official game mode where the game autosaves and you can't go back to older saves which would make the game very, very easy. This game mode could be called 'Hardcore' and will give some nice, but nothing major, bonuses.

If that is what you are looking for, then you just have to play that way. Removing everyone's ability to save as needed when needed just because some people lack the self control not to "abuse" the system, pretty selfish IMO.

I'm so sick and tired of hearing this flawed bit of logic.

Understand this:

Its human nature to want to play as optimal as possible.
Its human nature to not want to gimp yourself.
Its human nature to want more of a reward when you work harder and better at something.

So, when you all think you're being clever and tell someone to ignore the rules and game mechanics and play it how they would like the game to play, what you're really saying is:

"Oh, suuuure, you can have it your way but first you need to shoot off one of your hands, make up certain 'rules' that aren't apart of the game AND then know that you won't be getting any concrete reward or bonus for playing the harder way."

Do you see how offensive this is? How wrong it is?

You're all telling me to gimp myself, to avoid the obvious and most powerful method of playing this game in the most optimal way possible - save scumming. Face it, save scumming is going to break the campaign. This is a fairly skill based game which means theres a larger than normal chance of futzing something up and when you can just reload to fix the problem, you break the game's difficulty and challenge. Its not a matter of willpower, its a matter of being *** or not by ignoring this game breaking ability to go back in time and fix every. Single. Mistake.

I'm all for making it an option, thats fine. But I really, really hope Alex will add a 'hardcore' saving system to prevent save scumming and to give some sort of reward for playing it the much harder and unforgiving way - something like +15% exp and money and a special hardcore only achievement.

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 10:08:36 PM »

TLDR: Some ppl in this topic are attempting to use flawed, offensive logic which is annoying me. All I want is an official game mode where the game autosaves and you can't go back to older saves which would make the game very, very easy. This game mode could be called 'Hardcore' and will give some nice, but nothing major, bonuses.
I don't have a quote, but I remember Alex saying he might consider adding that.

/thread

Archduke Astro

• Captain
  • 99 AU from anywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 12:57:31 AM »

It didn't take long for this topic to circle the drain -- this was not your finest hour, gentlemen.
We thought our last moment had come
when we got a message up the voice pipe
saying that 'A' Turret magazine was on fire.....
Pages: 1 [2]