Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Some thoughts on the data screen  (Read 3356 times)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Some thoughts on the data screen
« on: October 12, 2011, 03:06:34 PM »

Just to preface, none of this is in any way important.  Just potentially nifty.

1) When you're at the main screen, you'll occasionally have ships wander by and/or attack each other.  It'd be neat if there was, say, a high probability that the ship / variant you're currently looking at would show up next.

2) Weapons!  Currently they just sit there.  It might be neat to have them occasionally swivel and open fire on... something.  Maybe passing asteroids; maybe some invisible spot that's just off-screen...  For things that aren't multi-stage missiles, just having it shoot in a random direction (probably mostly up so it doesn't obscure any important text) might work well enough.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Some thoughts on the data screen
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 12:54:17 PM »

2) Weapons!  Currently they just sit there.  It might be neat to have them occasionally swivel and open fire on... something.  Maybe passing asteroids; maybe some invisible spot that's just off-screen...  For things that aren't multi-stage missiles, just having it shoot in a random direction (probably mostly up so it doesn't obscure any important text) might work well enough.

You mean somewhere in the Codex interface? I'm pretty unclear on just where you mean this would happen :)

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 03:44:17 PM »

You mean somewhere in the Codex interface? I'm pretty unclear on just where you mean this would happen :)

I'm fairly certain he means in the main screen after you log into the game and you see the ships moving past, he wants the guns on the ships to swivel and fire at stuff or offscreen, to make it more exciting and action packed at the menu before you head to the missions screen, if you are just sitting there for some reason, ha ha.  :) 

Sorta kinda like SPAZ does at their menu screen I think, little battles are going on behind the menu buttons, etc, showcasing some of the possible action, ships and weapons before you even play.
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 03:52:52 PM »

I'm fairly certain he means in the main screen after you log into the game and you see the ships moving past, he wants the guns on the ships to swivel and fire at stuff or offscreen, to make it more exciting and action packed at the menu before you head to the missions screen, if you are just sitting there for some reason, ha ha.  :) 

Ah. I actually like that as-is - it's all nice and serene.

... except for the occasional bursts of activity when there is some combat going on there. Since you may be reading mission descriptions or stuff in the Codex while at that screen, too much action could get distracting/annoying. Besides, it sets the tone for the whole game, and I think what's there now is more appropriate than non-stop action. Not that you were suggesting precisely that :)

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 03:55:56 PM »

Roger on that.  :)
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 06:56:25 PM »

[You mean somewhere in the Codex interface? I'm pretty unclear on just where you mean this would happen :)

Sorry, yes, I meant the Codex interface.  Didn't have the game in front of me when I posted that, so I didn't have the right name for what I was talking about.

So, say, if I call up the onslaught in the Codex, the next ship to cruise serenely past is likely to be that Onslaught.

And if I call up the Plasma Cannon in the Codex, I can see that it functions by charging up and then shooting this neat glowy purple ball.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 07:09:26 PM by Wyvern »
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 08:33:53 AM »

Thanks for clearing that up. Hmm. I'll just say that that UI will likely get reworked at some point :) It does convey all the important info but I'm not quite happy with how it's laid out.