Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Graviton Beam Counterpart  (Read 3410 times)

Sendrien

• Captain
    • View Profile
Graviton Beam Counterpart
« on: August 13, 2012, 10:30:57 PM »

As a big proponent of beam weapons, I often find myself wishing for the flipside of a Graviton Beam - one which does double damage against armor. Is there any avenue to suggest that such a beam be made, or perhaps it is already in development? :P

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Graviton Beam Counterpart
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 10:48:18 PM »

Having no choice between damage types seems to intended weakness of energy slots, with grav beam being kind of exception... I doubt this is going to change.

In fact being able to efficiently inflict kinetic/HE damage from any slot would make energy damage type obsolete.
Take abstract energy weapon with 100 dmg:
2 of them = 200 on shield/armor
Now replace their damage types to 1 kinetic and 1 HE, not changing other stats = 250(200 + 50) shield/ 200(50 + 150) armor + control flexibility.

That's also the reason i find Mjolnir very meh - with their abysmal (for a ballistic weapon) flux efficiency any pair of kinetic/HE weapons would do better than pair of these...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 10:52:28 PM by TaLaR »

leonvision

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 11:06:35 PM »

i wouldnt really say having no choice between damage types as a weakness for energy slots, most energy weapons are energy type damage and does 100%damage to everything AND a extra up to 50% damage from flux, it's not weak against anything. however, BEAM type weapons has the weakness of only generating soft flux.
twitter: lagdotexe - mainly about gaming

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 11:23:33 PM »

Flux bonus applies to energy slots (so it includes gravbeams) not damage type (it doesn't affect Mjolnirs).

Beams have best flux efficiency(1/1) amongst energy weapons to compensate inflicting only soft flux. Autopulse laser is the only hard flux weapon with same efficiency (it has other problems like short range & low sustained dps).

I'd say there are 3 primary uses for beams:
1)Pd
2)Replacement for HE, for ships that can't combine kinetic and HE normally (Medusa with needlers + phase beams/tac lasers).
3)Pure soft flux build - if you inflict enough damage to overwhelm enemy regen, soft flux ceases to be a drawback. And transforms into kind of stunlock:).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 11:28:33 PM by TaLaR »

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 01:53:11 AM »

i think it would be interesting if there was a HE type of beam weapon, as you would then have to change up your strategy on how to lower a ship's shields so they can do their work(you really can't go 1x grav 1x HE beam and kite since all mainline destroyers have atleast 200+ dissipation, and you can't get the flux bonus since you will be dissipating far faster than the accumulation rate). IMO such an addition would be a good thing, as i really don't find myself thinking too hard over what should be put in an medium energy slot ( as apposed to the dozens of minutes i would spend on a medium ballistic/medium universal )

kwekly

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 03:55:28 AM »

I think from a game play perspective this defeats the concept of beams: for a given OP cost, they trade damage and burst potential for high accuracy and sustained pressure.

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 04:44:13 AM »

I think from a game play perspective this defeats the concept of beams: for a given OP cost, they trade damage and burst potential for high accuracy and sustained pressure.

and this concept can easily be applied since we're discussing/justifying the addition for/of a new weapon....

RSS_Ornel

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 09:52:20 AM »

Beams are underpowered slightly, but in combination(like on a medusa)with even small HE weapons (LAGs) it becomes extremely useful as a little burst from the LAGs and you overload or force the enemy to drop shields and annihilate the enemy hull. So I say no to this idea.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 10:05:21 AM »

Beams are of varying power against shields.
High dissipation= nigh useless
Low dissipation= I hope you're flux efficient, if not....
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.