Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Paragon/Fortress shield issue  (Read 1541 times)

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Paragon/Fortress shield issue
« on: August 13, 2012, 06:54:25 PM »

I've been running into a problem with the Paragon recently where my Paragon will drop shields, instead of activating Fortress Shield or simply stop firing. My Paragon is configured thusly:

Spoiler

[close]
(2x Autopulse in the front slots, 2x Tachyon Lance in the turret slots, 2x Heavy Needler in the universals, 4x Pulse Laser, 5x Burst PD)

The easiest way to reproduce the behavior is to Run Simulation and deploy a Venture and all the fighters and bombers you can. Sure, it can tank all the damage on its armor, but it seems a bit pointless when it doesn't have to (especially when some of the shots that don't get absorbed by shields are bombs or from a Mining Blaster).

Probably related to the AI issue that causes, most noticeably, the Odyssey dropping its shields too readily, so it may already be fixed.

On a side note, that thing is brutally efficient against anything and everything. It can take the entire simulation fleet on its own. (Seriously, put it up against an Onslaught, 2 Dominators, and Enforcer. Or an Onslaught, Falcon/Eagle [can't remember], Dominator, and Medusa, which is a tougher combo)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Paragon/Fortress shield issue
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 07:16:21 PM »

Thanks for the report - especially appreciate you making it easy for me to reproduce.

Confirmed fixed by the AI changes you mentioned. In the fight I ran, it only dropped shields when it vented, and took minimal armor damage over the whole fight. No hull missile or bomb hits - just a Swarmer or two, and a few light machine gun shots from the Broadswords. It seemed to use the FS quite well (activated for missile and bomb impacts, and to take a breather - with shields up - when the soft flux got high) and didn't vent until it had to. (And I must say, with that many vents, venting isn't the risk it usually is!).