Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: AI can cheat & go off-map to avoid threats  (Read 3250 times)

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
AI can cheat & go off-map to avoid threats
« on: August 10, 2012, 09:22:14 AM »

I discovered that in a narrow mission, to avoid the extreme threat that my capship posed, all the small enemy ships and freighters flew past the bounderies off the map by a good ~800 units, preventing me from reaching them.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
Re: AI can cheat & go off-map to avoid threats
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 10:11:48 AM »

icepick37 noticed this too...

and not just enemies, BillyRueben noticed his talons messing around out of the map ignoring a retreat order which lead to an auto resolve
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 11:46:25 AM »

In theory, it shouldn't be doing that - it's affected by the same rules as the player. Could you either provide a more detailed description of the map, or share it so I can take a look?

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 12:46:08 PM »

I can also confirm that the AI is a cheating bastard that likes to go off the map =)

It happens consistently enough for me in battles where the enemy is 'Escaping' that I have to try and kill them before they have a chance to get to any edge, let alone the one that lets them retreat.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 12:51:13 PM »

Ah, when it's "Escaping" that's not cheating. Strictly speaking. Any ship that's been ordered to retreat can do this, including your side's ships. Although they probably shouldn't do that on map edges other than the one they're going for.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 01:15:06 PM »

Ah, when it's "Escaping" that's not cheating. Strictly speaking. Any ship that's been ordered to retreat can do this, including your side's ships. Although they probably shouldn't do that on map edges other than the one they're going for.

Well, when a ship only escapes because none of my ships can get to its position off the left or right side of the map, it can be slightly frustrating.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 01:17:47 PM »

I've had this happen before, when a ships engines blew out and they continued to drift past the bounds of the map.

As it happens I made a thread about it, called "no engines for the win". I was rather surprised that no-one took any notice.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 01:41:52 PM »

Oh yeah, I remember reading that one. Thanks for the reminder, fixed that particular case (which, admittedly, is a bit of an edge case...)

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 01:54:00 PM »

It seems gimpy that they Retreat back to their own spawn border, though; perhaps they need to reach the "south" end to escape, and your ships need to reach the "north"? 

I've seen a lot of battles where I've crushed the enemy's initial wave of fighters and Frigates, and their capships then flee before I can even get to sensor range.  Then their fleet's too small for me to catch; not sure that's a feature  :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 02:05:28 PM »

Had this happen just a few minutes ago.

Screenshot here.

The AI was fleeing, so had to reach the bottom of the screen to leave the battlefield.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 09:06:50 AM »

I ran into something along the same lines last night, i was fighting a fleet composed completely of carriers the admiral AI decided that it would be a good idea to sent them in one at a time this lead to ships getting stuck rather far off the map :P