Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Rate of Fire Multipliers Don't Affect Beam Cooldown  (Read 1257 times)

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
Rate of Fire Multipliers Don't Affect Beam Cooldown
« on: August 09, 2012, 02:38:28 PM »

As the title says, the rate of fire multipliers (like getEnergyRoFMult()) doesn't have any effect on a beam weapon's cooldown. Obviously the beams in question would be burst beams, not continuous fire beams.

So, instead of lowering the "chargedown" value in weapon_data.csv for burst beam weapons, they should be lowering the "burst delay" value, where the real cooldown for burst beams is determined. Hopefully this one is easy enough to fix.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Rate of Fire Multipliers Don't Affect Beam Cooldown
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 12:54:23 PM »

This is actually not very straightforward conceptually. Reducing the burst delay wouldn't have much impact on the burst weapons in the game -though it may for modded ones. The problem is, doing this also subverts what the value is supposed to be - a rate of fire multiplier. Reducing the burst delay by a factor of two is not the same as doubling the rate of fire... the "rate of fire" concept really doesn't fit very well here.

Made it do that for now, though. Doesn't matter for the vanilla game, and I seem to recall some long-delay burst weapons in Ascendency...

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
Re: Rate of Fire Multipliers Don't Affect Beam Cooldown
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 02:24:58 PM »

Yeah, I suppose "cooldown" would be a better word to use instead of rate of fire. Thanks for changing it though, as there are plenty of mods besides my own that could easily benefit from this.