Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.53.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 167908 times)

moontan

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.53.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #270 on: August 21, 2012, 11:19:10 AM »

Alex:
Can you provide a bit more context or, ideally, the steps to reproduce? It seems to work fine in the general case, so it's tough to see what's going on without knowing exactly what you're doing.

here's my saved game:
https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=EA8691778410F0B6&resid=EA8691778410F0B6%21144&authkey=AOiQQC4NAJEBDqs

in this saved game, i just refitted my ship at the station.
i just left the station after deleting the Augmented Engines and installing Advanced Optics + Accelerated Shield + 1 point in the Flux Vent

the speed of the fleet should be 120/240 but it is still at 130/260
----
edit:
never mind.

i reloaded the game and this time the speed is correctly 120/240.
maybe restarting Starfarer corrected it.

so that saved game i posted might not be of any use to you.
but the bug is there.
i see it all the times.

in any case, it's not a big deal anyway.  :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 11:27:53 AM by moontan »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 21, 2012, 06:55:22 PM »

Hmm. If you can figure out a sequence of steps to reproduce it, could you let me know? Just tried adding/removing aug engines a couple of times, but it seems to be working ok, so I'm clearly not doing the things you're doing.

moontan

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 21, 2012, 07:36:49 PM »

just tried again with the same saved game and it happened again.

this time i refitted in space:
removed the Advanced Optics + the Accelerated Shield, then take off 1 point off the Flux Vent to make 'room' for the Augmented Engines.

i got the message that the TTS Nostromo had completed the refitting.
but the speed got stuck at 120/240.

Psycho Society

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 21, 2012, 11:12:47 PM »

Extraordinary. I thought combat was fleshed out over a year ago when the first Alpha was released. Sure as hell you guys weren't finished, though. Love ship systems, love phase ships and all the AI updates you've managed to cram in. Above all I'm excited to see where you guys set this peerless game in the greater scale of an evolving universe, where your actions have meaning. Keep it up, this is something rare you've made here.

Pentakill

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 22, 2012, 01:32:29 AM »

I'm looking forward to the questing, mining, story aspect more than anything now. And of course the lvling process of the captains. When it's done, when it's ready, no matter how long it takes, I will be so happy :)

I do wonder though, will the skill/level/mastery cap be high? Cause i'd hate for Alex to put in all this work and we all "beat" the game in a few days or hours :P

Cause if its endless and all that and we have a star-map thats covered up with our systems, enough is enough.

So hopefully we'll start out in the middle of a massive star-map, where small time pirates and cargo and mining ships will roam, and getting our first destroyer will actually mean something and not just be like, okay, now to get into my cruiser. Then after we get either a small fleet of fighters, frigates, and destroyers the next couple systems will have cruisers, better weapons, better minerals to mine, more pirates to attack you. And so on and so on till you get far out with huge fleets of pirates, massive mining and fuel barges and big, tanky, groups of "defender types" for the weaponless miners and such.

Then maybe we can go back into the center and start buying some small stations with the wealth we accumulated on the outer rings. And slowly make a name for ourselves, either fighting pirates, being pirates, being traders, miners, or whatever we want.

I just cant stress enough how slow I want the progression to be, because meaningful games that bring you back time and time again are the ones you had feelings for. When you get that first big ship fully outfitted its a "*** YES" moment, when you lose it to an accident its a "oh god no..." moment. Instead of just, well restart! only took 20 min to get my cruiser!

I know im ranting but
TL : DR
I really hope the progression is meaningful and slow and emotion producing.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 01:39:32 AM by Pentakill »

Acolnahuacatl

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 22, 2012, 01:41:35 AM »

I'm looking forward to the questing, mining, story aspect more than anything now. And of course the lvling process of the captains. When it's done, when it's ready, no matter how long it takes, I will be so happy :)

I do wonder though, will the skill/level/mastery cap be high? Cause i'd hate for Alex to put in all this work and we all "beat" the game in a few days or hours :P

Cause if its endless and all that and we have a star-map thats covered up with our systems, enough is enough.

So hopefully we'll start out in the middle of a massive star-map, where small time pirates and cargo and mining ships will roam, and getting our first destroyed will actually mean something and not just be like, okay, now to get into my cruiser. Then after we get either a small fleet of fighters, frigates, and destroyers the next couple systems will have cruisers, better weapons, better minerals to mine, more pirates to attack you. And so on and so on till you get far out with huge fleets of pirates, massive mining and fuel barges and big, tanky, groups of "defender types" for the weaponless miners and such.

Then maybe we can go back into the center and start buying some small stations with the wealth we accumulated on the outer rings. And slowly make a name for ourselves, either fighting pirates, being pirates, being traders, miners, or whatever we want.

I just cant stress enough how slow I want the progression to be, because meaningful games that bring you back time and time again are the ones you had feelings for. When you get that first big ship fully outfitted its a "*** YES" moment, when you lose it to an accident its a "oh god no..." moment. Instead of just, well restart! only took 20 min to get my cruiser!

I know im ranting but
TL : DR
I really hope the progression is meaningful and slow and emotion producing.

I'd just like to add my support to basically the entirety of this post. I imagine quite a few people here will have played the X series of games (if not, they're pretty good space sims!), which do things roughly this way. That sort of rate of progression is sometimes a little tedious, particularly at the start, but I would certainly say that it's much more satisfying in the long run than just being able to get a destroyer in 10 minutes.

I do vaguely remember Alex writing quite a while back that he wanted the acquisition of a new ship to feel like a significant victory in the actual campaign. But I might be taking that out of context, and I can't even find that quote now.

Pentakill

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 22, 2012, 02:22:30 AM »

I do vaguely remember Alex writing quite a while back that he wanted the acquisition of a new ship to feel like a significant victory in the actual campaign. But I might be taking that out of context, and I can't even find that quote now.

Yeah I remember that too, I just hope he sticks with that to the end and really works to integrate it into the game. :) I wanna WORK in my games! xD

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 24, 2012, 08:07:32 AM »

Haven't played the game in a while, so coming back to this from 0.51a is quite awesome.

I am really loving the music, as expected with it coming from such a talented artist and all. The other updates also seem very nice, though I haven't seen that many during my limited time playing just yet. Ship systems and accidents are nice touches I have already come across, though. ;D

As usual, keep up the good work! ;)

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 01, 2012, 10:17:03 PM »

One thing I'd like the next patch (or a subsequent one) to incorporate is for the hull mod list on the refit screen to contain mouse-over descriptions of the mods so one wouldn't have to look into the hull mod selection menu to remind oneself what they do.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 03, 2012, 12:01:12 PM »

One thing I'd like the next patch (or a subsequent one) to incorporate is for the hull mod list on the refit screen to contain mouse-over descriptions of the mods so one wouldn't have to look into the hull mod selection menu to remind oneself what they do.

Already in the dev version :)

Movementcat

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 03, 2012, 03:02:11 PM »

Alex maybe an ETA for some new Blog Post / Live Patch notes? :-D

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 03, 2012, 03:18:21 PM »

Alex maybe an ETA for some new Blog Post / Live Patch notes? :-D

SoonTm

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 03, 2012, 03:19:24 PM »

SOON(TM) IS NOT ENOUGH!
;D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 03, 2012, 06:02:01 PM »

Soonish (tm). Kind of holding off on the patch notes until there's some concrete campaign stuff to mention (don't want it to just be a laundry list of relatively minor stuff, albeit a long one). Likewise, on the blog post - making good progress on the Top Secret Campaign Feature, but not quite ready to talk about it.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 03, 2012, 07:04:28 PM »

Soonish (tm). Kind of holding off on the patch notes until there's some concrete campaign stuff to mention (don't want it to just be a laundry list of relatively minor stuff, albeit a long one). Likewise, on the blog post - making good progress on the Top Secret Campaign Feature, but not quite ready to talk about it.
You're a good man.  :D  Can't wait to see what it is.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23