Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.53.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 167911 times)

neonesis

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.53.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #240 on: August 17, 2012, 01:20:10 PM »

Actually about these reapers on Conquest - is it intended as AI test under difficult conditions ?:) Design is obviously suboptimal (with reasonable outfit ship is able to provide sustained fire from single broadside, interrupting that damage stream to fire very risky reapers is usually not worth it) and very hard to use even for player...

Honestly, I think that Reapers on this ship are just DUMB. I mean, it's a classic example of full-broadside fire base, so why, why would you turn your entire, giant capital ship, just to fire two unguided torpedoes? It's so much better for the Reapers to be placed on the sides, if at all. Put MIRV on the front, or Atropos guided torpedoes, so that you don't have to turn yourself and aim with your goddamn capital ship!

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 17, 2012, 01:23:42 PM »

Eh, different play styles, different loadouts.

I do not use reapers myself, though.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 17, 2012, 01:26:02 PM »

Dual MIRV is great on the Conquest, but with its system, the reapers actually becomes pretty decent as a finisher if you are high on flux.

Temjin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 17, 2012, 01:37:46 PM »

And, it's not just two Reapers. It's four, which is Onslaught-pulverizingly powerful.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 17, 2012, 01:51:01 PM »

I love those reapers! They aren't so great in a slug fest, but given the Conquest's speed and the ludicrous amount of ammo, you can afford to spray them into the rear of enemy formations - a lucky hit is a big win. Less luck based, maneuvering behind a distracted Onslaught = a dead Onslaught.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 17, 2012, 03:14:30 PM »

Reapers is fine - just unload them on enemy and take a turn to fire with broadside. Of course turrets is best compared to fixed emplacements - you need skill to deploy torpedoes effectively but the result is worth it.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 18, 2012, 09:28:37 AM »

Also. why does the Omens description indicate that it is supposed to be expensive, when its one of the cheapest ships in the game?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 18, 2012, 09:57:36 AM »

Can we get a hint as to what's being worked on?  We know it's campaign, but we want the specifics. :) fficers, characters, etc, or must we wait for a new patch notes? ;D
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 18, 2012, 10:12:48 AM »

my telepathy sense is tingling its saying.. yes... yes.. its saying..

Spoiler
we have to wait.  :'(
[close]
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

armoredcookie

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 18, 2012, 11:10:50 AM »

Soon(TM)

Catra

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 18, 2012, 12:06:28 PM »

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 18, 2012, 01:23:48 PM »

Alex, one interesting thing I noticed: If you install a point defense AI hullmod and the ship has AM blasters... the ship will use the AM blasters in point defense against missiles. Even if the AM is on a hardpoint!

May I suggest a special tag for weapons that will never be used in point defense even with the hullmod? :P
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 01:27:13 PM by Tarran »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 18, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »

Alex, one interesting thing I noticed: If you install a point defense AI hullmod and the ship has AM blasters... the ship will use the AM blasters in point defense against missiles. Even if the AM is on a hardpoint!

May I suggest a special tag for weapons that will never be used in point defense even with the hullmod? :P

Could have sworn I fixed that, but you're right, I didn't. Now it's well and truly... fixed. ("STRIKE" weapons won't ever do PD, even if flagged with PD in weapon_data.csv).

As to campaign stuff: nope, no hints. The suspense has to build for a while, doesn't it? :) I also have to prototype stuff and experiment with a few things. I'm actually working on something right now that is almost definitely not going to be in the next release, but that I want to figure out first to lay down some groundwork.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 18, 2012, 02:06:18 PM »

As to campaign stuff: nope, no hints. The suspense has to build for a while, doesn't it?

Flame decals on the Onslaught to make it go faster?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23