Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.53.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 167919 times)

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.53.1a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #150 on: August 14, 2012, 11:47:09 AM »

Alex, is there any chance we could have the LShift function to speed up time in the battle screen as well? Sometimes I find myself wanting one when I'm trying to make it from one side of the map to the other.
This is probably not going to happen. Would screw with the physics and stuff methinks.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 14, 2012, 11:56:31 AM »

i dont get the onslaught change  ???

What's not to get? The onslaught will get 2 free, and rather nasty weapons on it instead of potentially very nasty weapons that cost a large amount of OP.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 14, 2012, 12:00:13 PM »

Its getting 2x powerful energy weapons for FREE as well as improved turret arc coverage. The only seeming nerf is you won't be able to choose which weapon you want in those 2 hardpoints. But the simple fact that you'll now be saving 32-40 OP that you'll be able to spend on more hullmods/vents/better weapons more than makes up for it.

Plus, those two new weapons are energy so they'll be doing 100% dmg to everything AND they should be benefiting from the more flux = more damage mechanic.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #153 on: August 14, 2012, 01:37:39 PM »

@ "built in" weapons

sigvard

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 14, 2012, 01:53:58 PM »

Things are looking good on the patch notes, once more. I have to say the onslaught has been my favorite ship of the game thus far, and I'm glad to see it's getting some more attention.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 14, 2012, 03:05:07 PM »

Its getting 2x powerful energy weapons for FREE as well as improved turret arc coverage. The only seeming nerf is you won't be able to choose which weapon you want in those 2 hardpoints. But the simple fact that you'll now be saving 32-40 OP that you'll be able to spend on more hullmods/vents/better weapons more than makes up for it.

Plus, those two new weapons are energy so they'll be doing 100% dmg to everything AND they should be benefiting from the more flux = more damage mechanic.

oh, thats not what i meant, i know about the built-in weapon and the repercussion this will have on the ship.
what i dont get is "why ?"

why change the onslaught that way ?

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 14, 2012, 03:07:03 PM »

'Ang on, is the extra 20-40 OP we'll save from the TPC going to put the elite variant within limit?
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 14, 2012, 03:38:01 PM »

I say the patch should be on hold till David is done with the TPC and Onslaught art. The TPC is gonna be the very first integrated weapon system and we want it to make a good first impression. ;)

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 14, 2012, 03:46:05 PM »

why change the onslaught that way ?
I believe he's been going back and forth on it for a while, and it's a much requested feature. Plus this helps buff what some see as the weakest of the capitals.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 14, 2012, 03:52:59 PM »

I was under the impression that the fixed weapons were planned all along for the Onlsaught, hence the unique "hardpoints" it had. I guess with systems shaking the table up, adding a little bit more to the Onslaught was only sensible

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 14, 2012, 03:54:57 PM »

Hoping for some campaign elements after this update. Combat seems pretty finished to me.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 14, 2012, 04:06:49 PM »

It's something we went back and forth on very early on, and the Onslaught is one of the first batch of sprites, so it had those weapons baked in - but they just never got replaced with proper hardpoint mounts, and the idea was never resolved either way.

It came up again when implementing systems - some are done as "weapons" under the hood, for example the flare launcher - so that naturally brought up the idea of "weapons as systems". But that's actually pretty awkward, both from a UI and an AI perspective. So it just felt right to add these - so there's a proper way to do something that's now so natural to want to do.

The Onslaught was a good candidate - it could use the boost, and those two hardpoints are the least useful large slots on it. Even more importantly, it adds extra personality to what's a very important ship. (The reason they're energy, btw, is so that having them doesn't skew the kinetic vs high explosive choice for the rest of the mounts.)

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 14, 2012, 04:13:55 PM »

On the topic of weapons, I don't suppose there's going to be a medium-range, high-power, high-flux beam weapon? Like along the lines of Babylon 5's beam weapons (just for an example).

Just curious since beam weapons have always had a special place in my heart for some reason

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 14, 2012, 04:31:28 PM »

What role does the Phase Beam fill? Just an average damage and flux efficient weapon?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 14, 2012, 04:33:03 PM »

It's a possibility. There'll likely be some weapons added here and there - though probably not in the very near future. A high-power beam is potentially problematic, though, since it can't miss and would probably shred fighters a bit too much. The Phase Beam sort of falls into this category for mediums, but I suspect you were talking about large.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23