Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.53.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 167943 times)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.53.1a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #120 on: August 13, 2012, 02:54:46 PM »

Ah, with the Thermal Cannons, Alex, don't forget to update the rest of the variants! Don't want an underpowered onslaught in-game, now do we?
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 13, 2012, 03:15:06 PM »

So, burn drives and integrated free weapons? do low tech ships really need more buffing? burn drives are already one of the better systems...

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 13, 2012, 03:17:50 PM »

So, burn drives and integrated free weapons? do low tech ships really need more buffing? burn drives are already one of the better systems...

Considering how easily my 5 ship high-tech fleet wipes the floor with the Hegemony Defense Fleet... probably.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2012, 03:22:16 PM »

The insanely efficient shields and overall speed of the high-tech ships is just plain beastly. Doesn't matter how much armor and firepower low-tech has if they can't get through the shields or even hit the phase skimming teleporting high-speed ships...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2012, 03:23:40 PM »

Well, we're not talking about low tech ships in general. I think conflating an Onslaught buff with an overall low tech ship buff is reaching more than a bit :)

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2012, 05:02:12 PM »

Found a typo ;)

Quote from: Codex
A bulky energy weapon from the early epoch, the TPC is built directly into the Onslaught's hull and provides overwhelming frontal firepower.

Designed before modular energy weapons were a reality, this weapon was coded into the Onslaught's blueprint because no other ship was large enough or had reactors that could generate the requisite power.

Even though it's outperformed by some of the later epoch modular designs, the Thermal Particle Cannon remains an integral part of the Onslaught's arsenal.

Sounds great though, especially since it didn't come at an OP cost. That, and increased firing arcs? The Onslaught and Conquest seem to be jousting hard for the flagship role in my fleet.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2012, 05:04:30 PM »

Ohh, thanks for catching that!

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2012, 05:09:16 PM »

Added "built in" weapons:

Fixed per hull, can not be removed or replaced, can be seen in the refit screen, doesn't cost any OP
    type:"BUILT_IN", "mount" can be the standard range of values
    Specified in the .ship file, like so: "builtInWeapons":{"WS 016":"tpc",   "WS 017":"tpc"}
Yay, thanks a lot :)  That solves a lot of problems for my mod idea :)

Also, is it now possible for mods to overwrite Vanilla .ship / .proj / etc. files and the CSVs?  What I'm doing is, erm, basically a TC at this point, wondering about what's going to need to happen to distribute :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2012, 05:12:55 PM »

Yeah, mods should be able to do that, but you're going to potentially run into a few problems. In some cases, ship variants are hardcoded into the game - the ones used in title screen, the tutorial, possibly a few other places. So if all of a sudden a ship hull doesn't have a weapon slot with the right id, there'll be explosions of the NPE variety. This is on my list of things to address - in fact, I was going to take a shot at it for 0.53.1a, but just not able to fit it in timewise. Ultimately, I'd like to get it to a point where a TC mod doesn't load vanilla assets it doesn't use.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 13, 2012, 05:15:43 PM »

So long as it's still got a WS there, it'll be OK, though?  I'm changing their types, not their existence.  Oh, and while I'm bugging you; it'd be really, really nice if the Variant Editor was able to actually edit the base variants; doing it by hand is going to take me forever :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2012, 05:36:53 PM »

Take a look at this post: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=435.msg19055#msg19055
You might have to create the directory in question for the variant files to appear there.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2012, 05:50:38 PM »

Yeah, that will go a little faster than by hand, and I guess I get to do the grunt-work of uploading all of the Vanilla ships to the database, heh :)

One little idea, though:  couldn't Variant files just be the hash code, like it is in the savegames?

[EDIT]To clarify, as an alternative method?  I.E., just modify a variant, save it, use the hash code?  Then it'd be a one-stop shop and could be done in-game, more or less.[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 05:55:33 PM by xenoargh »
Xeno's Mod Pack

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2012, 06:15:02 PM »

Database? You'd need to copy them to the data/variants directory, that's about it.

The variants aren't reduced to a hashcode in the save files. What you're probably seeing are references to a fully-specified variant elsewhere in that file.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2012, 07:04:59 PM »

•EMP Emitter can no longer hit the command shuttle

Wouldn't it be more interesting if the command shuttle could be hit, or even destroyed? It'd add some risks of trying to transfer into the middle of a battle.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2012, 07:07:48 PM »

It would ultimately become a feature that'd be frustrating and unfun. Losing because of something that was directly within your control to prevent is fun. When it happens because of random chance with control out of your hands is what the business calls fake difficulty.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23