Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Strategic Direction of Starfarer  (Read 16209 times)

hairrorist

• Commander
    • View Profile
Strategic Direction of Starfarer
« on: September 17, 2011, 04:05:26 PM »

I think we're all pretty excited to see Starfarer evolve into something more strategic than a simple tactical battle simulation.  I'm wondering whether the plan is to eventually build an Escape Velocity / Elite type open world space game, a more strategic 4x game with tactical battles, a campaign driven RTS style game with RPG like mechanics (think WH40k games), or something else entirely?  X3 had an interesting progression from an Elite style open world space game into a more empire focused endgame but these elements were not fleshed out very well.  That's an angle that is yet to be really explored fully and from what I've read this seems to be the goal?

CommComms

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Strategic Direction of Starfarer
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 04:26:28 PM »

The end result is supposed to be something much closer to Escape Velocity than a 4x game.  Though now that I think about it, a 4x game with this kind of in-depth battles would be pretty incredible also.  The last thing I heard was that Mount & Blade is a good point of reference for predicting what the open world will be like. 

I'm hoping for something with the heart of Escape Velocity, the innovations and advancements of Mount & Blade, and the depth of X3.

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 10:20:51 PM »

I don't get the sense that the end result is going to be quite as elaborate as X3. On the other hand, Mount and Blade with spaceships is in itself a pretty awesome concept.

Alchenar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 10:25:02 AM »

The end result is supposed to be something much closer to Escape Velocity than a 4x game.  Though now that I think about it, a 4x game with this kind of in-depth battles would be pretty incredible also.  The last thing I heard was that Mount & Blade is a good point of reference for predicting what the open world will be like. 

I'm hoping for something with the heart of Escape Velocity, the innovations and advancements of Mount & Blade, and the depth of X3.

I'm not so naive as to expect a AAA game from an indy developer, and I'd certainly want Alex to resist the temptation of feature-creep that kills so many of these projects.

Mount and Blade with spaceships will do me just fine.

hairrorist

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 12:07:51 PM »

Yeah, I don't think anyone expects a AAA... but I am much more excited about this than any AAA project.  :P

M&B in space... sounds like Escape Velocity.  This is a Good Thing.

Sandremo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 12:12:14 PM »

I'm not so naive as to expect a AAA game from an indy developer, and I'd certainly want Alex to resist the temptation of feature-creep that kills so many of these projects.

Mount and Blade with spaceships will do me just fine.

I can imagine that... Instead of being inside the space ship you'll ride it... and use lightsabers as weapons.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 02:46:19 AM »

I do recall a beta mod that modified the ship battle script and made it so that it was two star ships coming together in a bordering action. I forgot which version it was, and I'm not too sure on who made it either at this point though.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

TheTank

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 12:29:20 AM »

From some of the features I have read and how SF plays in general, I get a lot of Starfleet Command (I,II,III) feelings here.
One thing I would really like to see and what I think also would fit nicely is the SFC III's 'galactic open game' play where you have a huge map of hexes, each representing a system or open space or nebula or whatever. You could move between them and each one offered a mission, randomly created from a set group of predefined or dynamic (face-off style) missions. Each would give you prestige and with that you could acquire new ships, ammo/shuttles and crew members at starbases/planets.

Only thing I was missing in the game were negative aspects. F.i. your crew personnel, no matter how badly your ship got blasted, never died. I would always add in some criticals (the tabletop game StarFleetBattles, from which the game originated, did have this iirc) where something additional might break or you could lose a crew member.
They also never transferred or retire or anything.
Then again, they also did not have special skills. Think of it as RPG style item bonus. Bob has +1 to weapon accuracy, but Sally has +1 to damage, who you gonna chose as weapons officer?

Anyway, this is not a demand list, just some ideas. I gladly leave everything up to the devs and will be happy with whatever direction they chose to go.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 08:52:49 AM »

Only thing I was missing in the game were negative aspects. F.i. your crew personnel, no matter how badly your ship got blasted, never died. I would always add in some criticals (the tabletop game StarFleetBattles, from which the game originated, did have this iirc) where something additional might break or you could lose a crew member.

I think you can pretty much count on those here :) The universe of Starfarer is rather dark, especially compared to Star Trek.

Sandremo

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 09:30:01 AM »

One thing i'm interested in is that eventually.. when you're going to implement multiple systems... is that um.. how are you going to plan the "travel system" between them? SPAZ did where you get this big map and you are able to goto all the systems you have unlocked? Or possible you'll have to fly your ship manually (if you wish)through... um..? how do ships travel long distances in Starfarer? FTL drives? (Faster than light) Subspace drives? (Like in freespace) Or perhaps some stargates that let you travel from gate A to gate B...?

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 09:35:06 AM »

Personally I'm a fan of jump points, jump gates and other forms of FTL travel that involve a finite number of jump lanes ships can travel through, producing a web-like network of star systems. I don't think we've been told yet what form of FTL travel the Starfarer setting uses, though.

Mr. Splib

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 10:11:47 AM »

What the heck, I'll post.....(excellent game btw)

I was a huge fan of the way "Star Control 2" worked.  Huge map.  Lots to explore; only limited by the amount of fuel you had. 
A randomized universe like this would be icing on the cake.

I didn't really care for how "SPAZ" worked......

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 12:32:15 PM »

The specifics of inter-system travel are TBD right now - we'll likely end up trying a few things before settling on something that feels right.

I will say that I prefer the Star Control 2 model where you can go anywhere to the one with fixed lanes between the stars. Functionally, I suppose they're very similar, and the one with lanes is a reasonable simplification - but for me, it detracts from the feeling of free exploration. There's that feeling of actually being in deep space, which I find very immersing - and the "lane" systems I've seen gloss over it completely. Not to say that it couldn't be done, though.

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 01:10:08 PM »

The specifics of inter-system travel are TBD right now - we'll likely end up trying a few things before settling on something that feels right.

I will say that I prefer the Star Control 2 model where you can go anywhere to the one with fixed lanes between the stars. Functionally, I suppose they're very similar, and the one with lanes is a reasonable simplification - but for me, it detracts from the feeling of free exploration. There's that feeling of actually being in deep space, which I find very immersing - and the "lane" systems I've seen gloss over it completely. Not to say that it couldn't be done, though.

Fair enough. I like the lane system because it creates chokepoints which tend to create points of focus around which interesting stuff tends to happen. However, I trust you to make whichever option you go with rock.

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 02:01:18 PM »

I tend to agree that Free Exploration is great, sometimes it seems that wormholes or warp gates or lanes reduce the vastness and openness of space, and simulate, in a way, planetary terrain like mountains and rivers, etc, as natural barriers.  However, like Thana mentioned, the points of focus and defense they offer have some usefulness as well, specifically if you are trying to insert story or a tiered difficulty of content, tough choice for sure. 

Maybe a compromise is possible, if you have various lanes and such, but then have the 'Option' of paying a premium of 'Credits/Dollars' (or whatever the monetary system will be in Starfarer) to access systems off the grid that you would not normally currently have access to via lanes/gates.  This would allow some freedom, and provide the possibility of surprise type attacks from beyond the 'front lines' of the lane/grid/gate system, while still keeping a certain linear progression in place for the most part.
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.
Pages: [1] 2 3