Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: FreeSpace 2 Mod v1.2 Release - Uomoz's Corvus 17 compatible  (Read 70213 times)

EnderNerdcore

• Commander
    • View Profile
FreeSpace 2 Mod v1.2 Release - Uomoz's Corvus 17 compatible
« on: August 05, 2012, 05:05:12 PM »

I don't have any fancy logo for this or anything, but here is the FreeSpace 2 mod I've been working on for a while. It integrates with the base game, spawning a station filled with ships and equipment at Corvus IV. The GTVA will also spawn fleets and one type of convoy, which will add to the equipment and ships in the station. The GTVA is hostile to the vanilla Pirate faction and neutral to all others.

This mod is also compatible with Uomoz's Corvus 17. The GTVA is neutral to most factions, and hostile to the Pirates, Junk Pirates, and Gendune.

Please note:
I hold NO COPYRIGHT to any of this stuff. FreeSpace2 is essentially abandonware, it's opensource, has an extensive modding community, etc. The original art and sounds are NOT my own.

Download link: http://anbuteam.net/starsector/FS2_1.2.zip (that's my own hosting)

Coming Soon (in order of when it'll get done):
First round of capital ships
GTVA Faction
Shivans Faction
More capital ships (Vasudan)
More fighters/bombers (Vasudan)

Currently it contains the following:

Weapons
A bunch of ship-size weapons. These are mostly balanced. They have ugly placeholder graphics. I'll be adding these eventually. These include the "Big Green Beam", "Small Green Beam", "Terran Turret" "Anti-Fighter Beam", "Flak Cannon" and other iconic weapons.

Loads of fighter weapons. These are balanced for use ONLY on the FreeSpace 2 fighters in this pack and have no turret graphics. Many of these have the original sounds for their weapon type. They do not spawn in stations or convoys and have no fitting requirement.
List: GTM Cyclops, GTM EMP Adv., GTM Harpoon, GTM Hornet, GTM Infyrno, GTM MX-64 Rockeye, GTM Trebuchet, GTW Kayser, GTW Mekhu, GTW Morning Star, GTW Prometheus S, GTW Subach

Fighter Wings
GTF Ares: Heavy Assault Fighter
GTB Artemis: Agile heavy bomber. Anti-cruiser/capital.
GTB Artemis DH: Upgraded version of Artemis, slightly faster & more maneuverable. Anti-cruiser/capital.
GTB Boanerges: Very heavy bomber.  Anti-capital.
GTF Hercules mk I: Assault Fighter
GVF Horus: Interceptor
SF Mara (Terran-spec): Assault Fighter
GTF Pegasus: Stealth Fighter (yes, it uses phase cloaking). Does heavy EMP damage and basic armor/shield damage.
GTF Perseus: Interceptor

Ships
Spoiler
GTC Aeolus - Assault Destroyer. Heavy armament, fairly low armor & HP

GTCv Deimos - Corvette (Cruiser-size). Heavy point-defense with fairly effective but not exceptional anti-destroyer-and-smaller weapons.

GTC Fenris - Decent destroyer with fairly good point defense but weak against other frigates

GTC Leviathan - Good anti-frigate destroyer with decent point defense capability

GTA Charybdis - AWACS ship (Destroyer). Custom ship system with custom AI. Buffs friendly fleet, debuffs enemy fleet. Very fragile, point defense weapons only.

GTS Hygeia - Rearming ship (Frigate). No weapons, no ship system. No hanger space, but has a flight deck. This is essentially a mobile rearming ship for fighter/bomber wings.

GTD Orion - Capital Ship. Heavy broadsides on one side. Relatively unprotected engines with front-facing weapons ineffective against most cruisers and larger.

GTD Hecate - Capital Ship. Very dangerous to most ships, but will have problems with more powerful assault-oriented capital ships like the Onslaught.

[close]

Balancing
Balancing is tough! I've tried my best to ensure that these are balanced against the base fighter/bomber wings in Starfarer. Keep in mind that generally these ships are more powerful than most base Starfarer craft, and they all have shield systems (with the obvious exception of the Pegasus), and their prices and fleet points requirements reflect that.

For the most part, I've balanced the Assault Fighters against the Xyphos and Warthog, while also seeing how they do against Lashers and Buffalo mk2s.

The Interceptors I've balanced around them killing Trident Bombers but not too quickly. Wing vs wing the Interceptors will always win, though it may take a bit and they will take some damage. They will wipe the floor with Wasps and Talons, but can have problems against the heavier fighters.

The Pegasus is balanced around being able to turn the tide of skirmishes in your favor. They won't do much by themselves, but with their EMP missiles they are great at taking out engines and weapons on distracted frigates, destroyers, and even some cruisers.

Bombers are much more difficult to balance, but they are pretty effective in support roles against cruisers and capital ships (and slower destroyers) while they will get shredded by most fighter wings.

As this is my first mod release for Starsector, balancing suggestions are always welcome.

How You Can Help
I'm looking for a spriter/artist to help by creating weapon turret graphics. I'd also like some help making the ship sprites pop a bit--probably by adding subtle outlines or other tricks to make the ships look better in Starsector.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 06:07:41 PM by EnderNerdcore »

EnderNerdcore

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: FreeSpace 2 Mod v1.0 Release
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 07:57:44 AM »

After some experimentation I've discovered that it meshes just fine with mods that add their own station, like Interstellar Federation.

Is there a way to just add ships to the stock lists without overwriting things other mods may add to those stations and convoys?

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 08:17:26 AM »

could you help me create a mesh for the antiproton beam

Spoiler
[close]

ive got a place holder right now
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 04:25:05 PM by silentstormpt »

EnderNerdcore

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 08:32:42 AM »

Ah, I'm not even using a mesh. Here's what the relevant code for my beam cannon looks like:

Code
	"fringeColor":[27,150,41,255],
"coreColor":[255,255,255,255],
"glowColor":[76,255,82,235],
"darkCore":false,
"width":75.0,
"textureType":ROUGH,

It looks like you'd also need to utilize (and change) this section from other Starfarer beam weapons:

Code
	#"textureType":["graphics/fx/emp_arcs.png","graphics/fx/emp_arcs.png"],

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 09:18:57 AM »

Ok i didnt know that, well i still need to get a hold a "lighting" mesh so i can make a realistic beam out of it
Thanks

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 02:49:36 PM »

I have added your mod to the Master List of mods.

EnderNerdcore

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 03:22:38 PM »

I have added your mod to the Master List of mods.
Oh, thanks! I didn't even think to mention it there.

EnderNerdcore

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 04:09:19 PM »

Update (and I'll reflect the OP for this):  with the help of some FreeSpace 2 modders, I've found a good way to get capital ships into the game. This same method will also allow me to get Shivan fighters and bombers in. :)

Here's a preview of what I'm working on:

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 05:34:27 PM by EnderNerdcore »

IIE16 Yoshi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 08:55:41 PM »

While that second ship looks like it hails from the depths of Oblivion, I think it could maybe do with some smoothed edging, like the first. Right now, it seems to me as if you went crazy and cut out a texture on photoshop, especially that large bottom section of the hull.

EnderNerdcore

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 09:31:55 PM »

While that second ship looks like it hails from the depths of Oblivion, I think it could maybe do with some smoothed edging, like the first. Right now, it seems to me as if you went crazy and cut out a texture on photoshop, especially that large bottom section of the hull.
oh, you have me wrong. These are the initial, working files. They're not even the right size or anything. I'm just demonstrating what ships I'm working on--they're ships that fans of FS2 will recognize.

EDIT: I went a bit nuts today. I've got a LOT of material to work with!

« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 12:33:13 AM by EnderNerdcore »

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 12:50:06 AM »

Looking forward to this mod once it gets more fleshed out, looks like you've got a lot of material to work with there, don't rush yourself trying to get everything implemented at once, there's a lot of potential here and you've made a great start!

EnderNerdcore

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 12:52:36 AM »

Looking forward to this mod once it gets more fleshed out, looks like you've got a lot of material to work with there, don't rush yourself trying to get everything implemented at once, there's a lot of potential here and you've made a great start!
Yeah. I won't be implementing most of the non-fleet stuff (such as sentry guns, installations, gas miners, etc) for a while.

Lictuel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 03:12:56 AM »

As a Freespace fan I have to say im loving this, though i cant see how you want to get the sathanas (thats the 2nd preview capship for those who don't know it) into the game. It is just so big compared to everything else. Anyway im really looking forward to this.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 03:14:07 AM »

Update (and I'll reflect the OP for this):  with the help of some FreeSpace 2 modders, I've found a good way to get capital ships into the game. This same method will also allow me to get Shivan fighters and bombers in. :)

Here's a preview of what I'm working on:

Hang, on, haahahahaa

is that Daedric Armour/Weapons textures from TESIV?
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

EnderNerdcore

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 08:05:54 AM »

As a Freespace fan I have to say im loving this, though i cant see how you want to get the sathanas (thats the 2nd preview capship for those who don't know it) into the game. It is just so big compared to everything else. Anyway im really looking forward to this.
Yeah, I haven't figured out yet if Sathanas or Colossus will actually make it in. We'll see. Based on current ship sizes and all, even the Hecate and Hatshepsut-class capital ships (along with several of the Shivan capitals) are larger than any of the stock Starfarer ships by a bit... and the Sathanas and Colossus are 3x that. I might make them but not include them in the campaign.

Hang, on, haahahahaa

is that Daedric Armour/Weapons textures from TESIV?
Uh, no?  That's what the Sathanas looks like. Seriously, do a Google Image search for 'SJ Sathanas'.  FreeSpace 2 is a space combat sim from 1999.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 08:59:14 AM by EnderNerdcore »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7