Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Restock green crew  (Read 1865 times)

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
Restock green crew
« on: August 05, 2012, 10:14:21 AM »

Its kinda weird that they only ever restock regular crew

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
Re: Restock green crew
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 10:30:25 AM »

Why would you want green crew anyway? sure they are cheap but i would rather want a regular crewman that knows what he is doing than a guy that will crash my ship into an asteroid.

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 10:39:45 AM »

The main (functional) reason would be that it's significantly (five times?) more expensive to supply a ship with 100 Regular crew than it is to supply it with 100 Green crew.

Sure, as you progress you can afford the regular crew better, but there's always the slim chance that the RNG could screw you over.

But the functional reasons are besides the point.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 11:18:26 AM »

Green crew is actually incredibly useful! Destroyers only count 50% of crew for experience and that number decreases to 20% (I think) for capital ships. That means an Onslaught only needs 100 regular crew to be regular: the 400 green crew saves a heck of a lot of money.

They do 'steal' experience so it will take longer to get veterans and elites - but on the other hand you can either save or sell your new regular crew for a decent profit :P.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 11:49:59 AM »

I don't think it's so much that they want more green crew than the fact that it doesn't make sense from a lore standpoint.  Kind of like how all fleets are Regular and never Green, Veteran, or Elite.