Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Only tab number key to fire"-idea  (Read 6008 times)

Muffel

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
"Only tab number key to fire"-idea
« on: August 04, 2012, 12:22:30 PM »

I have an idea, which would improve the gameplay a lot, at least to me. If you could set specific weapon groups to a... "quickfire" mode, so you could just tab the number key to use this group and don't have to switch to the weapon group and fire and switch to the first weapon group again.
This would be very useful for pure missile-hardpoint weapons. You could fire your main weapon, tab "2" and fire your missile, but remain firing your main weapon.
And like the autofire mode you can toggle it easily in the menu or directly in the fight.

Tell me what ya think.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: "Only tab number key to fire"-idea
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 12:42:41 PM »

Simple, yet excellent idea:)...

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 01:01:40 PM »

I could swear this was suggested somewhere before. Oh well. I liked it then, and I like it now. You could probably replace weapon group five in the refit screen with this option.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 04:42:35 PM »

I like it, what about just using F1 to F5 for tab-fire? Those are currently unassigned.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 01:01:00 AM »

Suggested before but this thought
I like it, what about just using F1 to F5 for tab-fire? Those are currently unassigned.
Makes me glad it was brought back up, the F-keys instantly firing the group instead of selecting sounds like an excellent idea to me.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 01:26:40 AM »

Suggested before but this thought
Makes me glad it was brought back up, the F-keys instantly firing the group instead of selecting sounds like an excellent idea to me.

As long as it remains customizable. F keys might be easy to remember, but they are too far to be part of optimal control layout.

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 03:42:11 AM »

Not that I'm contesting that it should be bindable, just like any control, but I've never seen a keyboard where the F-keys were not in quite close proximity to their respective number.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 04:00:43 AM »

Might be personal. Result of having some experience with WoW and binding around 30-40 actions to easily available key combinations, that you can reach with minimal hand/finger movement, mostly without removing more then 1 of 3 fingers from WASD (since pretty much all must be done in motion).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 04:02:47 AM by TaLaR »

Muffel

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 09:45:39 AM »

The f keys would also be suboptimal on notebooks, at least MacBooks (not sure about Windows laptops). The f keys do already have a function there. I'm still thinking the best solution is just to set it in the refit screen and then tab the actual number in the game.

naufrago

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 07:00:09 PM »

The f keys would also be suboptimal on notebooks, at least MacBooks (not sure about Windows laptops). The f keys do already have a function there. I'm still thinking the best solution is just to set it in the refit screen and then tab the actual number in the game.

Fun fact about Macbooks, and Mac keyboards in general (the ones with a numpad, at least)- you can set it so that those special functions only activate when you hold down the 'fn' key, which lets you use the F# keys normally. It's somewhere in the System Preferences. EDIT: It's System Preferences > Keyboard. Go figure.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 07:04:41 PM by naufrago »

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 08:30:54 PM »

First of all, thank you Naufrago for reminding me that I can do that (and it works with any mac). Second of all, I side with those who think it should be an option in the weapon groups themselves. Weapon group options: Linked, Alternating, or Quick-fire.

As for the name, what should it be called? Does "Insta-fire" sound better than "Quick-fire"?
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 01:44:12 AM »

Nice idea.

And it could benefit not only the missile group. Imagine a ship with a powerful, but flux-costly flak shotgun defence that has several hardpoints oriented at different angles. Got some nasty fighters coming in or got yourself swarmed with EMP heatseekers sharking around you? - tab a specified number and viola.

Or a Shofixy self-destructor :) A powerful weapon that detonates as soon as it leaves the launch bay. KABOOOM! on a single tab (a missile-type weapon with energy or explosive warhead and extreme proximity range to detonate instantly. Could be set to either damage friendlies or not).

Or a nasty EMP field that disables everything around you (a missile-type weapon with EMP warhead and extreme proximity range to detonate instantly. Could be set to either damage friendlies or not).

*went thinking on how to add those nasty things to his mod...

Muffel

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 03:23:50 PM »

Fun fact about Macbooks, and Mac keyboards in general (the ones with a numpad, at least)- you can set it so that those special functions only activate when you hold down the 'fn' key, which lets you use the F# keys normally. It's somewhere in the System Preferences. EDIT: It's System Preferences > Keyboard. Go figure.

I know, but it's uncomfortable that way.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 10:58:56 AM »

I know, but it's uncomfortable that way.

We'll just have to get over it friend.

I know your pain.  :'(
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 01:18:10 PM »

wow, i cant even say how much i approve such a suggestions.
the countless times i had to fiddle with weapon group just to launch a missile or two.
/signed !!

i like the F key idea too a lot