Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: projectile weapons ricocheting on angled armor and ship armor layout  (Read 4088 times)

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile

By armor layout i mean, for example if we look at the Dominator, you can clearly see that its front armor is much thicker so how about we split the total armor of 1500 to 2000 in the front and 750 in the back? about ricocheting if a shell hits say the side of the ship at a high angle, it bounces away (could still hit if it ricochets into another part of the ship) does these things sound promising? =D

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: projectile weapons ricocheting on angled armor and ship armor layout
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 09:46:38 AM »

Ships models haven't been created with ricochets in mind, so i don't think it would be workable/balanced.
Asymmetric armor on the other hand might be a welcome addition.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 11:06:25 AM »

Ships models haven't been created with ricochets in mind, so i don't think it would be workable/balanced.

Why not?

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 11:23:57 AM »

about ricocheting if a shell hits say the side of the ship at a high angle, it bounces away (could still hit if it ricochets into another part of the ship)
I don't really see what this would add to the gameplay.

As for the uneven armor: If I could customize, to some degree, how it was applied, then I'm all for it. If not, than I'd rather not.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 11:34:37 AM »

Why not?

Because it doesn't match angles as observed visually?... Seems sufficient reason to me.
I'm also not sure what it would actually add to gameplay.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 06:26:14 AM »

It would make it harder to kill a ship as well as more realistic, so if you shot at it, it would bounce away if you hit at an angle that would be impossible to penetrate instead of the shells going through no matter if you just glanced the edge of the hull.

leonvision

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 06:31:14 AM »

if you think about it a "high explosive" type of weapon would just explode(highly, lol) when it makes contact even at a high angle, fragmentation will just, well, fragment on impact, and energy doesnt sound like something solid enough to ricochet. that leaves only kinetic type weapons to have this attribute and i dont think kinetic weapons, in terms of gameplay, doesnt need this kind of nerf.
twitter: lagdotexe - mainly about gaming

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 06:43:39 AM »

Well even high explosive shells can bounce you know =I and from what i read from the weapon lore, most of the energy weapons are in shell casings that releases their matter upon impact. but well, if this were to actually be added, it would be huge amounts of work because you would well have to add something that calculates shell velocity, angles and armor thickness of the target, and this would have to be done on every ship. =I

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 07:18:04 AM »

And it still does nothing for the gameplay...

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 07:46:20 AM »

But it does! >.< i wrote that bout 4 comments up, it makes it more realistic and it would naturally be harder to kill something, i am pretty sure that would change gameplay in some ways? =I

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 07:50:17 AM »

Very little I'd imagine for the performance hit. It would mean every ship would need to be bounded perfectly, which I have been told before when making my mods, makes for a hellish slowdown if the bounds are too complex. All that work for something that you won't really notice, and if you do it'll probably be more annoying than interesting makes the feature just not worth it at all in my eyes

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 07:56:19 AM »

OK, but how about the armor layout? more armor on the side or front on some ships while less somewhere else? would give you more to think about then just going in and spraying shells on something when you basically would have to flank something big to get it down.

Griffinhart

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 11:12:08 AM »

it makes it more realistic

Fun fact! Video games aren't real life, so why should they have to be realistic?

Further, more realistic != more fun.

(Simulations are exempt from the above, since they're supposedly trying to be as realistic as possible, but again - that doesn't necessarily mean they're fun. I love me some ArmA II, but my roommates [the uncultured philistines that they are] can't seem to appreciate it whatsoever.)

-- Griffinhart

"Rrha ki ra tek wim tes yor
en weel waath dius manaf, Yat!
"