Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: auto-deactivate phase cloak then firing weapons  (Read 3947 times)

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
auto-deactivate phase cloak then firing weapons
« on: August 04, 2012, 04:02:33 AM »

Right now to attack while phased you need to quickly press right-click (disable phasing cloak) then left-click to fire weapon group. Its not very comfortable in a heat of battle to say the least. How about auto-unphase then weapon is fired? Of course autofire groups must be not allowed to do this, only player controlled group will unphase ship then fired.

Starlight

• Commander
  • Vulpes Ex Machina
    • View Profile
Re: auto-deactivate phase cloak then firing weapons
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 04:26:30 AM »

I'll personally probably need more practise to be sure, but personally I think I'd rather have the cloak stay steadily on with the certainty of 'no firing' acting as a safety catch against presenting myself against enemy fire then trade that certainty of (temporary) safety for the sake of a few milliseconds saved on my firing time.  Otherwise all it takes is an accidental twitch (especially from an unreliable (read: Wireless) mouse) and your ship will be appearing awkward right in the middle of all of the enemy's guns.
Starlight; Vulpine Space-Adventurer.  Fond of lasers.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 04:55:22 AM »

Just imagine you need to unphase - fire - phase - unphase - fire and phase again. Rightclick Leftclick Rightclock Rightclick Leftclick Rightclick. Not so easy to use effectively without some simplification. Unlike shields phase cloak almost always used intermittently. 

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 05:38:36 AM »

There are valid arguments for both ways, though i personally would also prefer auto-deactivation. Maybe as an option then?

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 06:13:48 PM »

Wouldn't it be better to have RIGHT-CLICK just turn on/off the Cloak system. LEFT-CLICK would automatically DECLOAK you to fire until you let go, then auto-recloak you. (This is essentially what the AI can do.) Since you build up FLUX while cloaked anyway, it would make cloak usage by the player a bit more intuitive and slightly more efficient.

I figure PHASE ships are more for guerilla tactics (hit & run). The current, all manual method to controlling them makes it a bit unwieldy to use them effectively. I'd like to be able to cloak, run up, fire off my shot(s), then try to get the hell away before my flux caps out (and I'm force to turn off the cloak).

If you want to make sure a random twitch/spasm doesn't cause you to fire at an inopportune moment, I think a mod to how the HOLD-FIRE mode works for PHASE ships would help. HOLD-FIRE (X) could prevent LEFT-CLICK from firing while cloaked.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 06:20:01 PM »

Wouldn't it be better to have RIGHT-CLICK just turn on/off the Cloak system. LEFT-CLICK would automatically DECLOAK you to fire until you let go, then auto-recloak you. (This is essentially what the AI can do.) Since you build up FLUX while cloaked anyway, it would make cloak usage by the player a bit more intuitive and slightly more efficient.

I figure PHASE ships are more for guerilla tactics (hit & run). The current, all manual method to controlling them makes it a bit unwieldy to use them effectively. I'd like to be able to cloak, run up, fire off my shot(s), then try to get the hell away before my flux caps out (and I'm force to turn off the cloak).

If you want to make sure a random twitch/spasm doesn't cause you to fire at an inopportune moment, I think a mod to how the HOLD-FIRE mode works for PHASE ships would help. HOLD-FIRE (X) could prevent LEFT-CLICK from firing while cloaked.

Would be way to complicated, new players wouldnt understand anything when they suddenly cloaked after having fired, i think the current system works fine.

StahnAileron

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 06:36:05 PM »

Uh, no, that's NOT what I meant ^_^;

I mean that if you right-click to cloak, left-clicking would auto-decloak you to fire. Then, once you let go of the LMB, the ship would auto-recloak if you didn't right-click again yet.

If you're originally uncloaked and fire, it wouldn't (shouldn't) suddenly cloak you when you stop firing. You'd still be uncloaked.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 06:38:25 PM by StahnAileron »

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 06:37:27 PM »

Uh, no, that's NOT what I meant ^_^;

I mean that if you right-click to cloak, left-clicking would auto-decloak you to fire. Then, once you let go of the LMB, the ship would auto-recloak if you didn't right-click again yet. If you're originally uncloaked and fire, it wouldn't (shouldn't) suddenly cloak you suddenly when you stop firing. You'd still be uncloaked.

Sounds very simple.

lyravega

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 02:01:59 AM »

I can talk about something similar.

High Energy Focus (if I remember the name correctly) won't allow you to raise shields while it is enabled; as it disables the shields. But the problem is, sometimes in the heat of the battle, when you click to raise shields, it won't, because you are still in High Energy Focus (mode). And you eat something nasty in the process.