Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Interception Order AI and poor use of Phase Teleporter  (Read 2384 times)

zakastra

• Commander
    • View Profile
Interception Order AI and poor use of Phase Teleporter
« on: August 07, 2012, 02:56:28 PM »

Not sure if intended or unforseen But when a Hyperion (this may also apply to skimmers) is pursuing a fleeing enemy (most easily seen with fighter wings) The hyperion will phase teleport behind the target close to its maximum weapons range, and then be outpaced when it could have quite easily teleported closer, or even directly in front of the target This is quite frustrating as a number of ships with mobility lower than the Hyperion, but base speed slightly higher, get away when they really shouldn't have.

Obviously for a general engagement, appearing behind the enemy at max weapons range is pretty much perfect, makes a lot of sense. , but when chasing down a routed enemy.... not so much
Oh DRM, bane of the carrier captain...

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Interception Order AI and poor use of Phase Teleporter
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 07:18:46 PM »

It also has another flaw - when Hyperion is somewhat further than needed to teleport behind an enemy, it will teleport anyway appearing in front of them, which can easily lead to untimely death against well armed ships.

Also does it always teleport simply behind target ship or chooses safest position based on actual weapon placement on enemy ship? These do not match sometimes - for example against  Paragon, position about 45 degree from it's back to either side seems better, since strictly behind is covered by both large turrets. + I don't exclude possibility of some modded ships existing that have mostly rear facing weapons:)...

+ Since bypassing omni shields with first shot is kind of a feature, teleporting to whatever facing enemy doesn't have shields on might also be good idea if there isn't too much firepower. And one that in addition has armor stripped is even more attractive.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 07:24:01 PM by TaLaR »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 07:31:10 PM »

Should now be more aggressive about chasing down fleeing ships. Hadn't tested that aspect of it much, though.

+ Since bypassing omni shields with first shot is kind of a feature, teleporting to whatever facing enemy doesn't have shields on might also be good idea if there isn't too much firepower. And one that in addition has armor stripped is even more attractive.

Yeah, it does this - with shields, anyway.

As far as the other stuff... let's just say I'm not sure making the teleporter even more effective in AI hands is desirable just now.

zakastra

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 11:04:08 PM »

As far as the other stuff... let's just say I'm not sure making the teleporter even more effective in AI hands is desirable just now.

Yeah, I can see vast possibilities for rage inducing cheating AI Hyperion moments otherwise.
Oh DRM, bane of the carrier captain...

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 08:48:12 AM »

I'd prefer AI using it to full extent. If properly piloted Hyperion is as dangerous as Paragon then so be it:).  AI also seems to under-use skimmer. Often uses it to get in/out of range, but usually doesn't use it to simply dodge big shots.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 02:01:35 AM »

I'd prefer AI using it to full extent. If properly piloted Hyperion is as dangerous as Paragon then so be it:).  AI also seems to under-use skimmer. Often uses it to get in/out of range, but usually doesn't use it to simply dodge big shots.

I do too, the whole point of starfarer was to make a brutally smart AI.  If I wanted dumb AI I'd go play another game.